Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure Hull's 2000m WR is the first time an Aussie has broken an Athletics WR since Emma George broke her 12th consecutive Pole Vault WR on 20 February 1999. I was at the meet in Sydney the day she jumped 4.60m for that last WR.

Emma got injuries in late 1999 and in 2000 and went from gold medal favourite for Sydney, jumping on the same night as Freeman's 400m final, to not even making the final with a 15th place 4.25. A 4.25 height was her first WR in that run of 12 which she set in November 1995. It was a great pity what happened to her in that 18 months or so after her last WR.

Jess was like a metronome her 400m splits were 1.04.2, 1.04.2, 1.04.1, 1.04.2, 1.03.0

View attachment 2047299

Was a very good run. Reckon she was less of a metronome and more of an animal! She went for it at the 1500 and dumped her last pacer early. Was behind WR pace at that point, then she accelerated.

Didn’t really know where to put this but…

View attachment 2049125
I happened to briefly see ABC News Breakfast program this morning and they said they had some big Olympic news to announce in the next half hour. I thought its just the fact they will be allowed to cover the games outside the 4 largest capital cities where 9 Network own their 4 stations. I turned it off 5 minutes later.

This must have been the big news.

I was thinking last night, Bruce is such a fan of the 800m/1500m middle distances, Herb Elliot is his idol, that with Oz finally being so strong in these two distances in both men's and women's event, he was really going to miss not being there. I thought how good would it be if Bruce was calling Hull and Kipyegon going stride for stride down the home straight.

Looks like he gets his chance to maybe doing it. Will be a case of TV sound down, radio sound up.

Last edited:

Haha Bruce heard that ABC had got the rights only just over a week ago so his wife asked the question of them if they needed a caller as Bruce was keen.

In short:

Bruce McAvaney will join the ABC broadcast covering the upcoming Olympic Games in France.
The veteran sports commentator says it will be one of the highlights of his career to be part of the reporting team.

What's next?

ABC Local Radio will bring live content from the Games to regional Australia.

Legendary Australian commentator Bruce McAvaney OAM will headline the ABC's radio coverage of the 2024 Paris Olympic Games later this month. McAvaney was a mainstay broadcaster on the Seven Network for decades, calling the AFL and headlining Seven's Olympics coverage. McAvaney has been involved in calling Olympics since Los Angeles in 1984 and is the voice behind iconic Australian winning moments like Cathy Freeman's gold medal in the 400-metres at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

Under a sub-licensing agreement struck between the ABC and rights holder Nine, the national broadcaster will broadcast the Games across its regional radio network, as well as ABC Adelaide, ABC Darwin, ABC Hobart and ABC Canberra.

McAvaney was at risk of missing out on calling the Games in Paris after he wasn't included in the Channel Nine broadcast team. However, after hearing about the ABC's planned coverage, he said his wife had contacts in the industry to get him involved.

"My wife said to me, 'Macca, did you know the ABC is going to be involved in the Olympics Games?'," he told ABC Radio Adelaide. "I said 'do you know anyone there Annie?' "She made a phone call and … it sort of all happened so quickly."

McAvaney said it would be a privilege to step back into the commentary booth in Paris.

"I did feel a little disconnection, you know, a sadness in a way that these opportunities I've had over the years were not going to continue," he said. "So, it's like a gift to be honest. It came completely from nowhere.
"The ABC's got such a history in its own right, it's an iconic organisation with a sporting background that I sort of listened to as a kid. "I've got this great affection for the ABC so to be able to join them at this point, for this moment, is going to be one of the highlights of my career."

The experienced caller has backed Australia to make a big impact in Paris. He is expecting more dominance in the swimming events, but also thinks Australia could dominate in the track and field as well.

"The Australian team, I think, has got a great opportunity to do something they haven't done before and that's get very close to 20 gold medals," he said.

"It's the biggest [athletics] team we've ever taken away. "I think we'll get the most medals we've ever had in the Olympics on track and field, except for Melbourne in 1956 when we got 12 medals. "I can't remember an athletics team from this country having so much potential and excitement surrounding it."

The ABC will celebrate the Olympic Games with ad-free coverage on ABC Radio across various ABC capital city and regional stations from Friday, July 26.

ABC Sport's commentary team will also feature former Olympians Melinda Gainsford-Taylor (athletics), Sarah Ryan (swimming), Simon Orchard (hockey), Brad McGee (cycling), former Davis Cup player John Alexander (tennis) and Matilda Amy Harrison (soccer) with the ABC's respected broadcasters, Quentin Hull, Corbin Middlemas, Clint Wheeldon, Ben Cameron, Ned Hall, Declan Byrne, Lauren Bordin and Robin Chipperfield.

Last edited:
Bruce wont be going to Paris, but like the Covid hit Tokyo Games, will be in the Nine Radio Olympic Games studio in Sydney calling the athletics and doing some other stuff for the ABC. I suspect just like 7 had Jason Richardson track side in Tokyo to interview athletes and bring some of the news and other stuff from the stadium, the ABC is sending one of its sports reporters to be at the stadium in Paris and talk to Bruce and Melinda Gainsford-Taylor.

Roy and HG will do an hour segment at 11am - which is a couple hours after the last event in Paris everyday and that will replace The Conversation Hour on ABC local radio and is repeated at 2pm on Radio National as well as on podcast.

I've put more details of the ABC coverage in post #10 in the General Discussion thread.

Brandon Starc cleared 2.35m at the last Olympics and 'only' finished 5th.
Have you seen the heights cleared the last 9 months or so? Its not great.

Have you seen the heights cleared the last 9 months or so? Its not great.

Only 3 athletes jumped higher than the experienced Starc in 2021. Then...Olympics..

Inexperienced Reath is ranked 8th= this year. Now...Olympics...

Great if he could manage a PB but I wouldn't be predicting a medal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Femke Bol continues her good form. 51.30 is the 4th fastest ever run after last Friday's run in Monaco of 50.95 being the 3rd fastest ever. Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone has the 2nd fastest time 50.68 when she won the world champs in Eugene in 2022, and a few weeks ago at the US trials she broke that WR with 50.65

Nina Kennedy has just won her back to back pole vault title. She is only one who has cleared 4.85m. Think she will have a crack at 4.90m

Last edited:
The women's 400m was quick. Jamaica's Nickisha Pryce ran 14th fastest time ever, makes her the 8th fastest woman ever and the 4th fastest time this century.

Last edited:
Ollie Hoare win's the mile in a 3.49, Norwegian Nordas just got in front with about 15m to go but Ollie faught back and put in a little surge to win in last 5m or so and won by 0.03 sec.

Last edited:
Nina Kennedy's 3rd crack at 4.95m, her PB is 4.90m cleared the bar with good height but came down and landed on top of it. Good signs for Paris.

Hodgkinson going to hard to beat, she looked absolutely superb.
She looked great. Now is 6th fastest woman of all time. She will start big favourite in Paris.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back