Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

HUGE day of aths coming up for our Aussies:

1530 RoadWalk Relay AUS (Montag/Cowley) AUS (Henderson/Tingay)
1805 MHJ qual Yual Reath Joel Baden Brandon Starc
1815 W100H heats Celeste Mucci Michelle Jenneke Liz Clay
1825 WJAV qual Mackenzie Little Kath Mitchell
1910 M5000 heats Stewy McSweyn Morgan McDonald
1950 WJAV qual Kelsey-Lee Barber
1955 M800 heats Peyton Craig Joseph Deng Peter Bol
2045 W800 rep Linden Hall

and likely to be GOLDEN overnight:

0215 WPV F Nina Kennedy
0315 MTJ qual Connor Murphy
0425 MDIS F Matt Denny
Kennedy and Denny are medal contenders but I think it's a stretch to say "likely golden".

I know - just as swimming was only judged by a 90 yr old leaning over and checking turns

Doesnt mean technology cant be used
the rule isn’t that you must always have one foot in the ground, the rule is that it has to look like you always have one foot on the ground.
I’m not sure how technology helps in this situation.

it's a stretch to say "likely golden"

Nina is the reigning World Champ and current #1 in the world, so would surprise people around the world if she didn't win. Hence 'likely' golden.

Matt Denny is a BIG big-time competitor and he's never been better than this year. Many experts have tipped him for bronze, but I think he could do even better.

Anyway - if we won two medals of any colour overnight - adding them to the ones we have won (& are about to win) - that would mean six medals in athletics with the schedule only just over half-way done.

Our best medal tally in athletics since 1968. For Australia, that would be as good as gold.

David Culbert was right to say it was BS that the walking relay was still on and they started the athletics inside the stadium

It should have been timed even with a 15 minute delay on estimated completion time, so people in the stadium could have watched the race on the big screen.

Rob Walker on the world feed praised it and said it a brilliant debut for the event and he reckons its here to stay.

Jenneke down - but thankfully not out.

Brave finish Shelly!
What a great start she had. Was smoking them over the first three. I wonder if that's normal for her, having a great first 30m. My daughter hurdles and she often leads early but fades as others find their rhythm. Anyway, she should take some confidence from that start.

Shelly does usually have a fast consistent start. Tamsyn just said the fast track might push them too close to the hurdles (like an assisting wind sometimes does).

Hopefully she's not too hurt or shook up and can adjust for the repechage.

Shelly does usually have a fast consistent start. Tamsyn just said the fast track might push them too close to the hurdles (like an assisting wind sometimes does).

Hopefully she's not too hurt or shook up and can adjust for the repechage.

That was a bad stack but she bounced back to her feet and completed the race so she should be OK to run in the repecharge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brother of Mitch Starc cleared 2.20. He's been injured and in poor form so a final would be an achievement. His best this year is like 2.24 which is miles off

Didn't know about this mixed walk relay...Has this replaced the longer distance walking events for the men & women?

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think it replaced the long one think the 20k still happens

Mitchell as well at 42 years of age!!

She has a pretty good coach (& husband) whose javelin record will never be broken.

104.8m so they changed the implement as it would be a danger to athletes, officials and even spectators.

Here he is in Canberra - nearly 40 years back

There was a 50km walk for men only, replaced for gender equality reasons.

Would've just run a 50 km walk for women
Yeah, not sure why they never had a longer distance for the women as well...For some reason I thought there was a 35km distance race...Silly that they only had one event

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, not sure why they never had a longer distance for the women

They never had any real competitions beyond 20k for women walkers. Until about 2000 the main women's event was 10k.

Then some American nobody - sued the IOC for not having a 50k before Tokyo. IOC won but World Athletics did add a women's 35k Champs in 2022. Then they decided this mixed-relay would be a more entertaining form of having equity.

And they are probably right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back