Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Im happy with the Knights appointment. Essendon have turned over a lot of players in the last few years and I would be hoping that they would achieve success in 2-3 years rather then 5-6.

I would be hoping that in 2-3 years time players already drafted such as Gumby, Paddy, Stants, Houli, Reimers, Hislop, Laycock could form part of a contending team. Knights has worked with this group already and hopefully has a good idea of what theyre capable of.

Also, I wouldnt put much stock in what Lyon says. I reckon he is still bitter that he was showed up by Sheedy when coaching the international rules side.

Damien odviously wanted to take the same approach on what Clarkson did at Hawthorn when he was appointed as coach. We dont need a complete rebuild, more of a renovation. I really do hope Knights can get the best out of the players cos IMO Sheeds couldnt the last couple of seasons.

Either way, wouldn't the rebuild take 3 years like Clarko's has at the Hawks?

Either way, wouldn't the rebuild take 3 years like Clarko's has at the Hawks?

We've been rebuilding for two years already. Have you seen the turnover of our list? We also changed the whole football department around at the end of 2006. So by 2010 we will have been rebuilding for 4 years.

Incorrect.

Hardwick thought that we need a full re-build. Take 5-6 years

While Knights thought we could re-build in about 2-3 years and that was perfect for the board since they have that plan of the 2010 thing.

If that is true then it looks like a mistake to me.

How will Essendon be better in 2 years when 5-6 of their best players all retire? I don't see how they will not only replace these stars, but improve on them to get up the ladder. Not in 2 years anyway.

Fortunately you already have a good injection of youth which would speed up the rebuilding process, it would never have needed anything like Richmond's complete overhaul.

About Hawthorn, without planning to they started their rebuild in 2001 when they got Hodge, Mitchell, Brown etc, so it did take 6 years to rebuild, not 3.

How will Essendon be better in 2 years when 5-6 of their best players all retire? I don't see how they will not only replace these stars, but improve on them to get up the ladder. Not in 2 years anyway.

Fortunately you already have a good injection of youth which would speed up the rebuilding process, it would never have needed anything like Richmond's complete overhaul.

About Hawthorn, without planning to they started their rebuild in 2001 when they got Hodge, Mitchell, Brown etc, so it did take 6 years to rebuild, not 3.

....WHy is it a rebuild because they drafted well? You can draft players without compltely rebuilding the club. The idiocy of some people on this site amazes me.

....WHy is it a rebuild because they drafted well? You can draft players without compltely rebuilding the club. The idiocy of some people on this site amazes me.
umm.. you need to draft well to rebuild:p. but nah but the piont of rebuilding is the current batch of youngsters will need to take over the older blokes if you havent drafted well enough you havent rebuilt your list properly, see richmond many times over:eek:. port have done it perfect won a flag lost a few players have now got some exciting youngsters who have stepped up. anyway goodluck bombers with knights. sheedy always said he would love knightas in the seniors for the bombers:D

i am not amused at all ... the whole things was rushed because of certain time line criteria's and other prospect coaches deciding to remain where they are ... My predictions > he will flop , others like members here will make excuses for him > the board will have a knee jerk reaction sacking him in an untimely manner... Bomber fans will be in the limbo for a few years while everything was fine the way it was ... Huge memberships , colorful coach , developing young running side and a unspoken bond though out all bomber fans.

mark my words ... essendon will lose loyal fans over this. i to know people involved with knights in the sanfl and the word is his intent is fine just he's an over thinker with better diary keeping skills than play's

this is a debatable type post to promote thinking. So before you intellects start whining i show no support. Think about that it just might be ok to doubt something rather than be led like sheep. :eek:

Why do i get the feeling Jason Cloke may be on the EFC list and Kepler and Bolton retained?

I have the same feeling.

We'll find out how fair dinkum he is in the coming weeks.

The axe must fall on Bolton, Heffernan, Cole and Camporeale (although he should retire after doing his knee) at least.

If Cloke impressed Knights then I would expect to see him drafted to Essendon!

It could be a good thing....it could be a bad thing!

Hey guys, I was a little confused when Knighter was given the role and a little annoyed because I wanted him back at Richmond. There is a sense of history repeating itself here and you'd hope it happens ;)

I came to your board because something said on the footy show last night would have really worried me if I were an Essendon supporter. Maybe since I can't find a thread on it then you don't mind. But basically they said it was Hardwick's job to lose and then apparently he said Essendon needed to go down a Hawthorn-like rebuild for a couple of years if they want to be successful again.

Obviously Knights said he expected some form of success next year.

As a Richmond supporter who has seen his share of short-term plans bypassing the proper longer term plans I'm wondering what your opinion is. Do you need a rebuild while the youngsters develop or can you do a Port Adelaide style resurgence? I believe the appointment of Knighter says the Essendon board chose a coach planning for a Port style resurgence.

Just because Knights said he expected success sooner than what Hardwick did, doesn't mean that it will occur. The Bombers are now going through a transitional period with the departures of Hird and Sheedy. They have had a huge reliance on the big three (Hird, Lloyd and Fletcher) and the time has come for this pattern to be changed.

The Bombers were on the right side of 3 or 4 close games this year, if they went the other way as they did last year, they would be near the bottom with the Blues. I think that you guys have to be causious and you dont get carried away with Knights' rosy picture.

this is a debatable type post to promote thinking. So before you intellects start whining i show no support. Think about that it just might be ok to doubt something rather than be led like sheep. :eek:

Don't worry, there's heaps of other Essendon fans having a sook too.
Probably the same people who had a sook when sheeds was told his time was up. Most of them should be all cried out by next season....if these so called 'loyal' fans don't want any of it, perhaps they were wearing the wrong colours!

The process was thorough - he knows the club - he is smart - he knows footy - he will be busting to prove he was the right decision. He will get my backing for a season to see what he is made of - would have been the same with any of the final 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have youngsters to replace Fletcher Lloydy Lucas. Gumbleton Neagle Ryder and basically what i think will happen is that Knights will give alot more gametime for those youngsters.
Knights also said that he wants a 'tall running defender' which i reckon then we will be going after Alex Rance at pick 6. He should be a really good FB in a few years time.

Our Midfield will also develop with the likes of Hislop, Houli, Winderlich, Dempsey, Watson, Stanton, Monfries.

And Matty Knights knows Kepler Bradley pretty well. He will play Bradley in his correct position on the wing/hff

Based on your extensive knowledge of their coaching philosophies and their presentations? No? Just you talking bs? Okay glad we clarified that.

I do know he got the arse from Norwood and has done nothing with Bendigo in the 3 years he's been there. Was he not in chagre in developinbg your kids...What good kids do you have?????????????

Really, before i get lynched, think about the kids who you expect to be stars.. i can count them on 3 fingers

Just because Knights said he expected success sooner than what Hardwick did, doesn't mean that it will occur. The Bombers are now going through a transitional period with the departures of Hird and Sheedy. They have had a huge reliance on the big three (Hird, Lloyd and Fletcher) and the time has come for this pattern to be changed.

The Bombers were on the right side of 3 or 4 close games this year, if they went the other way as they did last year, they would be near the bottom with the Blues. I think that you guys have to be causious and you dont get carried away with Knights' rosy picture.
Did you somehow forget about 2006? We where in the wrong end of results that season about 10 times

but we have a poor list! Our list is just as poor as Essendon's, its got to do with the coach. Matthew Knights is a dud coach and you'll be down the ladder for a few years yet.

LOL as he debates how muh better Collingwood's list is. :)

Collingwoods list is similar to ours, it is just that you have some guys that have developed quicker than expected. Thomas and Pendlebury were top picks. We havent had any top midfield picks that have come on as expected. BUT, they will come on in the next year or so, along with our young KPP. So hopefully we will be top 8 in 2008, and pushing for a flag by 2010, 1011.

I do know he got the arse from Norwood and has done nothing with Bendigo in the 3 years he's been there. Was he not in chagre in developinbg your kids...What good kids do you have?????????????

Really, before i get lynched, think about the kids who you expect to be stars.. i can count them on 3 fingers

He wasn't at Norwood

Is making the finals with a poor VFL list doing nothing?

It's not our fault you can only count to 3

The fact is, it's impossible to predict what type of impact Knights will have when coaching our team next year.

Everyone can dribble on about Knights' (perceived dismal) coaching credentials as much as they like,but it doesn't make him unworthy of coaching the EFC.

Unlike most other clubs,Its not as if we have had dozens of coaches over the last 50 years to rate him against. We've had about 5! Its new territory for us. A new coach with new ideas.

You're killing yourself if you're going to lose sleep over this appointment. Its now a wait and see approach...and with Knights,i like what I hear and see so far.

Peter Jackson is now in control of the future of our list atm (now that Sheeds has left the building) and is now trying to move the club through a bit of stormy weather. Its been blue skies for quite awhile at Windy Hill.

Jackson has ticked off the first box,he's hired a new coach. But there is a reason why they picked him. Knights must've had the same ideas and high expectations about the potential of our list as Jackson and the board did.

He said yesterday that our skill level needs improving. Sheedy never publically made that a big issue this season,or last. Its our major issue imo.

Hardwick probably gave a bleak 'bottom 6 for the next 2 years,then finals speech. The board doesn't want that though,they want finals next year. Just like the supporters do.

If you heard Mark Williams talk on the Footy Show last night about the 'winning culture' of PAFC and how finals are just plain expected most years,you realise thats what its all about...aiming high,winning,GFs.

We havn't got that feeling atm.

Sheedy's message was wearing thin. Young recruits and our 20-24 years olds didn't improve like they should have. It was time for a change,simple.The board thinks we needed to remove the old Sheedisms from the younger players minds,I agree.

Some had Port as wooden spooners before rd 1 started....but Williams wouldn't have even dared to think about bottom 4 finish.
He just worked with what he's got. Now look at them....

"Lloyd said his opinion had not been sought by the interview panel during the selection process, but he expressed his excitement and complete satisfaction at the announcement, which he believes heralds the start of a new era at the club."

I find this to be incredible, why would you not go to the captain of the team and get his opinion before making an appointment. Not that he should have the final say but surely if he felt he was crap or great you would want to know.

All well and good Lloyd coming out and giving his support after the event but even if he doesn't support he has to at least come out and say he supports it.

I must say I am shocked with the appointment and the timing of it. It almost smells of lets announce it today so we will not have to worry about the full on media scrutiny as they are pre-occupied with the grand final.

One thing I would like to know is where has bendigo finished the last 3 years.

"Lloyd said his opinion had not been sought by the interview panel during the selection process, but he expressed his excitement and complete satisfaction at the announcement, which he believes heralds the start of a new era at the club."

I find this to be incredible, why would you not go to the captain of the team and get his opinion before making an appointment. Not that he should have the final say but surely if he felt he was crap or great you would want to know.

All well and good Lloyd coming out and giving his support after the event but even if he doesn't support he has to at least come out and say he supports it.

I must say I am shocked with the appointment and the timing of it. It almost smells of lets announce it today so we will not have to worry about the full on media scrutiny as they are pre-occupied with the grand final.

One thing I would like to know is where has bendigo finished the last 3 years.

Put that crack pipe away....

Get a bit hungry?

He could have easily said something more nuanced if he'd needed to.

To be honest, if he's going to make comments as forthright as:

"Would he have been available? We don't know. Would he have got the job? We don't know, but we just couldn't sit here for three more weeks."

"It would have been terrific to put him through the process but at the end we had to make a judgement."

then sorry, but I'm going to take them at face value and assume he's telling the truth. If he's doing the opposite, then he should be ashamed of himself.

Yep...a day earlier Bomber is on 3aw and says he is meeting with us, PJ clearly doesnt suggest they were told anything - it just doesnt add up why we had to jump into this now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back