Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone needs a reminder of how successful our coach has been thus far

23 wins from 60 games.

Any positive spin on that, and you'd seriously need a colonoscopy to retrieve your skull from within your rear.

If we're stuck with Knights until his contract is out, hopefully Malthouse has the desire to continue coaching and will look at Essendon as a worthwhile challenge.

I think the poll that has been added in this merged thread is somewhat misleading. After a loss, one loss? any loss? no way should the coach be sacked.

This is not the case with Essendon and as many have pointed out its the way we lose rather than the loss. It's the poor losses going back over the past 2 years.

I also reject the "we're too used to winning" stuff, many of us did not see any success for all of our school years, I had to wait until I was 21 to see see a flag (84)! (too young in 1965).

Nothing will change until EFC wakes up. I also blame the Board not Knights for this, he should have never been put in the job at this level.

I''d love to be proven wrong though.

Voice Your Disapproval of Knights

By not showing up on Saturday. We need to let the club know we are not happy and the best way is to get the worst crowd in our history.

If you love the club and want to make change then do not go to the game on Saturday. It'll be tough but it's for the best in the long run.

WE NEED TO MAKE CHANGE.

Please pass this on to any other Essendon member and supporter who loves the club.

Re: Voice Your Disapproval of Knights

Nup, will always support the club and the boys no matter how much I dislike the coaching at this point in time.

Go be fickle by yourself.

You cant be a real supporter to say that.

Whilst I hate what knights is doing, this is my team and I will always support the players who go out there, the 22 out there are trying (or should be) all the time. I dont agree with the 22 he selects but that is not the players fault.

Get to the game and support the players and have an-anti knights sign if you feel that strong - that would get your message accross better than boycotting a game and having a North Melbourne type crowd

Do you want change?

What do you propose?

Who would you like to be caretaker?

What about future coaching roles?

Which players would you stop playing in place of kids?

Why do you think financially hurting the club would be a positive thing?

Absolutely bloody ridiculous idea. The club is struggling so lets show our support by not showing up. Yeah that'll work. I know we are down but our supporters are being like Richmond supporters faster than I thought.

If you think the board will be influenced by fickle supporters floating ideas about boycotting games then you are deluded. Supporting the club you love and the decision making process surrounding the coach are 2 entirely different things. The board will act in due course after the season has finished. We're in a game on Saturday to avoid the bloody wooden spoon!!

Stay at home by yourself mate. I'll be at the game supporting my team.

No thanks.

Whether or not I make it to games has nothing to do with our team's performance/form.

I want Knights gone, but I'm not going to boycott the club because of it.

Richmond had shithouse crowds for 5 years, yet Terry Wallace kept his job.

Bad idea, mate.

No thanks.

Whether or not I make it to games has nothing to do with our team's performance/form.

I want Knights gone, but I'm not going to boycott the club because of it.

Richmond had shithouse crowds for 5 years, yet Terry Wallace kept his job.

Bad idea, mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you want change?

I want change but I don't want a pathetic emotional club whose board makes decisions from the threat of backlash of it's supporters.

Change for the sake of change is no good. Doing what you suggest is negative change when what Essendon need is a steady logical hand at board level and a passionate team and coach who know the supporters are there for them regardless of whether they are still learning or making mistakes.

By not showing up on Saturday. We need to let the club know we are not happy and the best way is to get the worst crowd in our history.

If you love the club and want to make change then do not go to the game on Saturday. It'll be tough but it's for the best in the long run.

WE NEED TO MAKE CHANGE.

Please pass this on to any other Essendon member and supporter who loves the club.

You should start supporting Richmond.

Brain-dead idea.

I'd be turning up on Saturday and supporting and criticising the boys as I always do.

It ain't the coach...as Winderlich himself said today - IT'S THE PLAYERS.

While I don't support the OP, saying its the players fault & ignoring the coach's responsibilities is completely stupid. Like it or not the coach's job is to get the best out of the palyers & if he's not doing that then he is failing. It doesn't matter if you think he's a nice guy or admire his determination to never change his hairstyle or his gameplan the realities are that its Knight's JOB & he hasn't done very well at it.

The guy should never have made it past the 1st lodgement of interest. He was not qualified to coach any AFL club let alone 1 with a succesful history. He was a failure as a player & as a coach before we appointed him his record was nothing short of ordinary bordering on terrible. His only achievement was getting bendigo into the fianls then watching meekly as they imploded a huge lead. He had NOT done an AFL apprenticeship & so brought absolutely NOTHING to suggest he was ever going to be anything but fail. He then surrounded himself with more duds. Prescott (as if 1 Richmond failure wasn't enough), Campo (rival to Knights for tag sas softest players of the 90's) plus the piece de resistance Hickmott - the guy coaches Bendigo to a winless season so we reward him with a job as development coach. If it wasn't my club I would laugh myself silly at the level of pathetic we have become.

While I don't support the OP, saying its the players fault & ignoring the coach's responsibilities is completely stupid. Like it or not the coach's job is to get the best out of the palyers & if he's not doing that then he is failing. It doesn't matter if you think he's a nice guy or admire his determination to never change his hairstyle or his gameplan the realities are that its Knight's JOB & he hasn't done very well at it.

The guy should never have made it past the 1st lodgement of interest. He was not qualified to coach any AFL club let alone 1 with a succesful history. He was a failure as a player & as a coach before we appointed him his record was nothing short of ordinary bordering on terrible. His only achievement was getting bendigo into the fianls then watching meekly as they imploded a huge lead. He had NOT done an AFL apprenticeship & so brought absolutely NOTHING to suggest he was ever going to be anything but fail. He then surrounded himself with more duds. Prescott (as if 1 Richmond failure wasn't enough), Campo (rival to Knights for tag sas softest players of the 90's) plus the piece de resistance Hickmott - the guy coaches Bendigo to a winless season so we reward him with a job as development coach. If it wasn't my club I would laugh myself silly at the level of pathetic we have become.

OB1 - whilst I agree with most you write, he actually did an apprenticeship at Port Adelaide before taking bendigo role, he is surrounded by softies tho

Brain-dead idea.

I'd be turning up on Saturday and supporting and criticising the boys as I always do.

It ain't the coach...as Winderlich himself said today - IT'S THE PLAYERS.

He selects the 22 tho, to drop T Slattery and Prismall when they were amongst the best against crows and play silly with Myers, Atkinson and others makes it hard for the 22. Our side whilst injuries have played some part is not the best available 22 at moment, too many favourites get selected instead of results driven promotion.

Watson said the same the other week, they are only saying the same stereotyped lines, like 1 week at a time and we just needed the 4 points

Some of my issues with Knights
- Plays favourites with the list.
- Still doesn't play proper stuctures. No defensive zones, no importance on team play
- Didn't challenge himself with the line coaches
- Pushed Lloyd out the door to play Neagle at FF.
- Pushed 4 out of our top 6 goal kickers out of the game
- Still slow to react with changes on match day
- At times doesn't play players in their natural position

Positives of Knights
- Encourages players to play an attacking game style
- moved players on who didn't fit into his future (takes a hell of a lot of courage)
- openly came out and said Gumby would play the first ten games, no pressure on the kid and he did prosper in that.
- Is liked by the majority of the playing group

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back