Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Labor party has always been the party for the working class/bogan types hence Port/Collingwood fans.

Then there are those on the left who don't vote labour yet lean to the left to counterbalance the inequity of consertive right agendas relating to big business, insularism, and fear... and still support the Bombers because their team is an apolitical recreation...

Don't like the way this has happened. It seems forces outside the club and those that contribute financially have had too much say in the matter.

Does anyone honestly think we should have done better this season. Rebuilding for 3 years has been hard and Knights at least had the balls to do what Sheedy didn't, start again. Sheedy was too concerned about protecting his job with stop gap players dumped from other clubs like Carlton then do what had to be done which Knights did. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Footy's a hard game. For every Premiership team their is a wooden spoon. Every defeat is met with mud slinging from all circles. We as supporters of Essendon need to do just that, support. Through thick and thin.

I hope this next phase of the club brings success but also a change from many supporters.

Kinda annoyed Knights was sacked. In the end, we still have the same list of players that took us to 14th place.

The new coach, whoever it may be, will inherit a list of players who are incapable of playing defensive football. This does not bode well for them. How long does the new coach get to prove himself? Is it even possible to prove to be a good coach with the list we have now?

I would have liked to have seen Knights coach out his contract, and see what happens. He wasnt making the list any worse, he just took over the list at its weakest point. This week we had the youngest team in the comp. We played 7 first year players. We have no decent full forward and our full back played less than 50% of the year. Our best player played injured for a majority of the year to try and help the team. Most of our midfield have lacklustre disposal and refuse to run hard defensively. Our forward line hasnt played together long enough to know each others leading patterns and to work out a good strategy to work together.

Now that Knights is gone, I hope our new coach gets a decent time to bring this list up to scratch. In all honesty, we need a coach who will work more on our skill and work rate than a tactician. IMO, once we get the basics right, the rest will come, but its the basics we are lacking right now.

As frustrating as it was to have him as a coach I still think they should of held on to him for one more year considering there does not seem like a good replacement. Getting choco would be a howler of a decision imo. People seem to forget they had all the same problems as us i.e their consistancy and having no great defensive side of their game.

Like I said earlier, it's only a good decision, if we get a good replacement. At the moment it's just a decision. Now how we go forward will be interesting....

Don't like the way this has happened. It seems forces outside the club and those that contribute financially have had too much say in the matter.

Does anyone honestly think we should have done better this season. Rebuilding for 3 years has been hard and Knights at least had the balls to do what Sheedy didn't, start again. Sheedy was too concerned about protecting his job with stop gap players dumped from other clubs like Carlton then do what had to be done which Knights did. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Footy's a hard game. For every Premiership team their is a wooden spoon. Every defeat is met with mud slinging from all circles. We as supporters of Essendon need to do just that, support. Through thick and thin.

I hope this next phase of the club brings success but also a change from many supporters.

Agree with this sentiment. It worries me that people from outside the inner workings of the club might have had a say in the result of our leadership. It's not unlike the scenario of three independent twats with no understanding of the inner workings of government having the say in the leadership of a democratic country...

Just having a quick read and see people now wish he could have stayed etc. He has had 3 years not 1 not 2 but 3 full years and the side has gone backwards. Skills are worse than ever, decision making worse than ever, defensive game worse than ever, being able to stop an opposition run on - don't even go there. Good riddance.

Yes it's only a decision at the moment public wise but inside wise the club know what they want next and i would be very surprised if they didn't know the coaching set up for 2011 already.

Well done by the board for showing some balls. Go Bombers.

I never disliked Knights as a person and I do feel genuinely sorry for him. However, he was definitely not the right person for the job and I'm stoked the Essendon board has had the balls to make the correct decision to remove him.

Feel for the bloke but gotta say I'm relieved.

The total lack of defense in our gameplan after 3 years was really getting to me, then the lack of effort from the team the last 2-3 months topped it off.

Lets get someone who gets us going hard both ways, gets digusted with half arsed efforts, has us competitive at AAMI and Subiaco, and puts some ****ing pride back in the club.

This.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ALot of people have bagged and point the finger at him
but lets have a thread for the Bomber fans who want to thank him for his time instead of bagging him out.

Well done Knighter meet you once and your a top bloke thanks for your time at Essendon all the best for what ever next year brings for you

*no bagging please

I agree. Am looking forward to the changing of the guard next season, but Knighter took on one of the hardest jobs of all time. He was always positive and well spoken and took the best interests of the club to heart. Best wishes for the future.

Don;t know who's gonna be the replacement.

Tough gig with our impatient supporters expecting instant success.

Hopefully we not going to be replacing coaches every three years ala Richmond.

I fully support this decision.

Sure, it may have been the players as well but you can't sack the team.

It's a shame, but that's footy. The biggest disappointment is the early contract extension that now leaves us open to a massive payout.

Thanks for your efforts Knighta. I'm sure your intentions were never anything but good.. but the road to 14th is paved with good intentions.

Any chance of Lloydy pulling on a jumper next season? :D

Thanks for the memories, Knighter.

2010rd10-18.jpg

r05-gsp-53.jpg

r03-gsp-16.jpg

r17-gsp-25.jpg

thanks for having a go knights at what was probably too big an ask for any rookie afl coach

hope this all doesnt haunt you for too long & that all & sundry move on quickly

You're right. You're always going to be on a hiding to nothing when you're a poor coach and you're coaching one of the biggest clubs in the league and failing them.

He was copping it well before anyone could have possibly made a judgement on his coaching ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back