Past players - >>> 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Valenti should push for selection this week, he's played three consistent games with Casey, two of which had played a tagging role & bagged the ball a number of times. Take into consideration that this week he played on Ben Cousins, picked up 29-disposals & laid eight tackles before you say there's no room for him. He is capable of playing AFL level & should get a game, if he doesn't I won't be happy, he could tear Daniel Kerr & new one this weekend.

Russell Robertson
Round 7 vs. West Coast Eagles at Subiaco Oval, Sunday 10th May 2009.
Statistics:
5 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 2 goals, 0 behinds, 3 contested possessions, 78% disposal efficiency, 3 clangers, 2 contested marks, 1 inside 50.

Robertson went missing for large portions of the game and was basically unsighted in the first half. He had a decent third quarter but couldn't get the distance on the shots from outside 50 that he once may have, which is understandable.

Out of 10?: I'm going to give him a 4/10. The disposal coming into the forward 50 was relatively bad and hopefully Robertson will get better with time and more games under his belt.
Does he keep his spot? No doubt.

Russell Robertson
Round 8 vs. Western Bulldogs at the MCG, Saturday 16th May 2009.
Statistics:
6 kicks, 2 handballs, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 3 goals, 0 behinds, 7 contested possessions, 62% disposal efficiency, 1 clanger, 1 contested mark, 2 inside 50s.

Although Robertson kicked 3 important goals, 2 of those goals were gifts from the umpires right in front of goal. Having just the 1 mark is a little bit of a worry, but we can't expect him to be the Robertson of old coming back from such a serious injury.

Out of 10?: Robertson gets himself 5/10 this week.
Does he keep his spot? He does indeed.

Bell was the best player for Casey Seniors this week. He got the ball a lot, he tackled well, marked it every time it came his way, the only thing that let him down as his decision making (he kicked to a few contests when there were players open), but overall he was consistent for the full game, played it out & did what was asked of him.

8/10

Valenti was good, not great, this weekend. He grabbed a handful of possessions, but he tried his hardest, attacked the ball the same way he does in the VFL, & overall he looks comfortable at AFL level. He may just hold his place in the side for the rest of the year if he can keep up his workrate. He can only get better from here.

4/10

Russell Robertson
Round 9 vs. Hawthorn Hawks at the MCG, Sunday 24th May 2009.
Statistics:
8 kicks, 1 handball, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 2 goals, 3 behinds, 5 contested possessions, 56% disposal efficiency, 2 clangers, 2 contested marks, 1 inside 50.

Statistically, Robertson had one of his better days in the red and blue for the year. However, I think it's fair to say that he was terrible. In the words of Peter German, "John didn't have one of his best days and didn't have much impact".
The highlight of the day for me was a massive hanger in the goal square followed by Robertson, being the show pony he is, playing on whilst he was on the ground, essentially giving the ball away to Hawthorn to rebound.
He kicked 2 goals 3, wasted opportunities, and didn't play well at all.

Out of 10?: Robertson gets himself a 3 for his efforts on Sunday, and that's being generous.
Does he keep his spot? For the first time this year, his position in the team comes under question. Personally I would have kept him in the side at least for another week, but I'm definitely not against giving him a run in the magoos and let "Big Stef" roam the forward 50 on his lonesome.

Valenti was, once again, great playing for Casey this weekend. He was speedy through the centre, nailed a number of clearances & tackled hard all day, kicking a good goal during the match. The only thing of concern is his marking, he missed a couple today, but despite only having one mark for the entire match he maintained a presence around the packs & was a heavy influence on the game.

Since we are playing the youngsters this year he must come into consideration this weekend. Overall I think his performance was selection worthy. I couldn't decide whether to give him a 7 or an 8, so I split the difference.

7.5 / 10.

After getting selection he deserved after a couple of weeks, Bell didn't really deliver the way I'd hoped. He ran well all over the field, but he didn't attack the ball & missed a few easy targets. His marking was ok, but he just didn't have any impact. Though he should be given another week, he'll be lucky to keep his spot.

3 / 10

Daniel Bell has to be de-listed at the end of the season everytime he gets the ball i just wait for th turn over and i dont have to wait long. Give him the chop and get some young blood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell played alright today. Like pretty much everyone else, except maybe Sylvia, his efforts lead to nothing as we got well & truly betean all over, but of the players who actually tried to do something, Daniel was one of them. Having said that, it wouldn't have taken much to be Melbourne's best player on Monday, as the entire team was a rabble, & Bell only just makes it into the group that got in & had a go.

I gave Daniel a 5 / 10 for his efforts, which is ordinary but he did try all day, it's just whenver we got the ball it went nowhere. Daniel could make the team next week, but if someone like Bennell has a good week then he may be dropped.

I agree with you Daniel Bell tried very hard which is mor than i can say for most people but. Although Daniel is only 24 i cannot see him going much further. Also where is Simon Buckley?

HI guys,

Has there been any update on Simon Buckley - I haven't seen him in any VFL reports about teh AFL listed players performance and he's not on the injury list.

Cheers

Buckley injured himself again, which has also put him under the pump if we happen to get Scully this year. Yeah, I think Bell's gone if he can't contribute more, probably should trade him for a late draft pick if we can.

But then again, Wonaeamirri is in the same boat as Bucks, & there's no way in hell we're getting rid of Wona, so Bucks is probably going to stick around. I want both around next year for sure.

Yea i hope they keep Bucks cause he looked like a real player. They may aswell wait for him 2 get right its not like were gonna be Premiers next year

I rate him as a good 'developing' midfielder from last year and before but he seems to be at odds and ends with the club as when fit he was only playing in the reserves reserves this year and now he is injured again.
Would love to know why he can't get a game when fit as I would have though he is a definite good 'future' prospect for Melbourne.

He wasn't fit when playing casey reserves at all, he was coming back from injury trying to get some match fitness back but it looks like his groin wasn't right so his back on the side lines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back