Who would you rather?

• Patrick Cripps

• Marcus Bontempelli

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Similar height, similar age, similar draft pick.
Two vastly different players.
Who would you rather?

* Mod Edit *

This one can stay open and we will see how it goes but rest assured with the history of this thread and how it goes discussion wise any crap will not be tolerated including rubbish bumps/comments after every game when one supporter group jumps at the chance to criticize others on any 1 bad game with immature rubbish remarks.

Thread bans in this thread will be handed out very freely to keep discussion free from trolling if they need to be so do not say you have not been warned.

Last time it was open for discussion there were petty spot fires everywhere and Infractions handed out at to high a rate with no reports at all coming through while posters were just happy to personally attack each other over opinions, hence the closure.

Doss Abasi Chism

Last edited by a moderator:

I went with Bontempelli but only narrowly.
Feels like Bont receives the ball under pressure and has a little extra time to assess his options before giving it off. Both boys, along with Jaegar O'Meara are as good as any midfielders I've seen come into the game the last couple of decades.
To think they are just 20-21 years of age is ridiculous.

Its like saying who would you rather Dangerfield or Selwood or Hogan or Lynch, both clubs wouldn't be disappointed having either.

Bont for all-round ability. Cripps is a bit one dimensional. Sensational inside mid but not a complete footballer like Bont.

While Cripps is good at what he does, he doesn't have the kicking ability of Bont and is actually quite inefficient with his disposal given he mostly goes by hand. He can get the ball 30 times in close but if you shut down his options he isn't very effective.

Bont wins his own ball at an above average level, albeit not as much as Cripps, but has the ability to use it breaking from congestion, going inside 50 or kicking goals himself from the midfield or as a resting forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can think of quite a few special performances from Cripps (the New Zealand game for example). Bont has been great and I'm coming around to him. I know it's unpopular, but I still think he goes missing way to easily. I think Cripps has the higher ceiling.

I can think of quite a few special performances from Cripps (the New Zealand game for example). Bont has been great and I'm coming around to him. I know it's unpopular, but I still think he goes missing way to easily. I think Cripps has the higher ceiling.

The theory he goes missing is unpopular because he has completely put it behind him ... he's polled AFL Coaches votes in just about every game since round 6 ... since his slow start due to a very limited pre-season he's polled the most in the comp. He's been consistently great for 3 months. Easily the Dogs most consistent players for 3 months and one of the top few players in the comp over that period

The theory he goes missing is unpopular because he has completely put it behind him ... he's polled AFL Coaches votes in just about every game since round 6 ... since his slow start due to a very limited pre-season he's polled the most in the comp. He's been consistently great for 3 months. Easily the Dogs most consistent players for 3 months and one of the top few players in the comp over that period
I have heard all this before and I must admit I haven't seen much of him in the last few weeks. I saw him live at the West Coast and a Carlton game earlier this year, when he was okay, but not amazing and that's probably affected my opinion.

This thread already exists, and if you're going to do it again, why not add Zach Merrett?

Thread was locked last time because it turned into a shitfight. Why add Zac Merrett? It seems a comparison of two big midfielders rather than a "who is best of the 2013 draft"

Would be interesting if a few Carlton supporters who post a lot in their own board's Cripps v Bontempelli thread could weigh in to the discussiom

FlowersByIrene Show_Me_The_Money

Cripps is an absolute beast, we haven't even come close to seeing what he can do in the future. His sheer size makes him very unique, a once in a generation type player. Would not give him up for anything.

My only concern would be his playing style and subsequent longevity in the game, but yep kid's a jet

While Cripps is good at what he does ... He can get the ball 30 times in close but if you shut down his options he isn't very effective.

Bont wins his own ball at an above average level, albeit not as much as Cripps, but has the ability to use it breaking from congestion, going inside 50 or kicking goals himself from the midfield or as a resting forward.

The clip you posted below contradicts this to a fair degree, as you can see Cripps can and does grab the ball, break tackles and run free from congestion with ball in hand. He can also attract 3 tacklers and still keep his arms free to hand off effectively; makes the idea of shutting down his options more complicated in action than theory when he draws in teammates opponents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Patrick Cripps v Marcus Bontempelli

Back