Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not Adelaide or Geelong. It's Geelong. He will be a Geelong player next year. It's been known for months. There are no dark horses or men in the shadows. Your team does not have a chance of signing him, unless your team is Geelong.

Not trying to be a dick but hopefully that'll stop at least one person who can't be bothered reading through more than half a page of this thread, coming in and thinking the Hawks or Pies are a shot. They're not. He'll be at Geelong.

The *actual* reality that a lot of Cats fans appear unwilling to accept is that we don't actually know what other teams are offering. It's not like he's going home to Perth. He wants to go back to Victoria, not specifically Geelong. The "go home" factor is irrelevant because he could still live out that way and play in Melbourne.

Of course Geelong is the front runner but other teams have more to other both contractually but also in terms of draft picks.

Do you really think he's going to accept less money to play at Geelong when he could earn a few hundred thousand more and play 1.5 hours down the highway?

Geelong absolutely must have a spectacular deal set up or someone will beat them out. This is not a done deal. It's close, but it ain't over yet.

If Adelaide can match Geelong's offer, you can bet there are other teams with better offers that the Crows can't match. Adelaide is praying he chooses Geelong so they can match an offer and orchestrate a trade.

I imagine two first round picks will get it done. TBH I don't think Geelong should part with that. But what do I know.

Do you really think he's going to accept less money to play at Geelong when he could earn a few hundred thousand more and play 1.5 hours down the highway?
Would you want 3 hours of travel time to and from work? I understand what you're talking about, but I doubt he'll end up anywhere other than Geelong if he does move at all.

I have seen so many people state Adel must match because the outcome re compensation is unfair. So let me pose them a few questions.

The FREE agency system was designed as a system to promote EASIER movement of players who had given their clubs extended service. If Adel match, and Danger becomes nothing more than an out of contract player, what benefit exactly has his Free Agency status delivered him? Is it fair that his status after 8 years exemplary service, and as a FA, is the same as a James Aish or Jarrad Jansen?

Is it fair or discriminatory that Danger, in the event of a match, should be treated differently to EVERY OTHER Free Agent before him? Was this really how the AFL and AFLPA intended the system to work? Why should the Cats become Guinea pigs in the final 12 months of a system that will likely be further diluted in a years time when a new CBA rolls out? Particularly given precisely ZERO clubs have exercised their matching right to this point.

Furthermore, the matching right was never intended for the purpose of extracting a club a better trade outcome. This is precisely why no club has used it for this purpose, and why there is a compensatory formula in place. It was intended for a situation where a player was open to staying at his club but wanted to fully test the market re his value $$.

This is why no club has matched to date. The system was designed to function for the benefit of the PLAYERS not the clubs. It is a system that both gives and takes, and the Crows will likely have seen both sides of that soon. If Adel were to match it will only militarise and embolden the AFLPA in a year which will require negotiation of a new CBA. This would not be a good outcome for the AFL, and thus it's an outcome I don't expect to happen.

Put simply, Adel matching would require it to go rogue and nuclear on the Free Agency system, and against key stakeholders (AFL, AFLPA). Again, this would be madness and thus it will not happen IMO.

Adelaide will match Geelong's offer... whatever it is (within reason). There is absolutely no doubt about that.

Here's hoping.

Although I have a hunch the AFL's probably pressuring Adelaide behind the scenes not to (further) expose the crappy compensation system for the farce it is.

I hope Adelaide plays hardball and matches the offer, at least to do just that and not least because it's greatly in their interest.

Would you want 3 hours of travel time to and from work? I understand what you're talking about, but I doubt he'll end up anywhere other than Geelong if he does move at all.

Many experienced players already make that sort of trek. Nathan Jones lives out past Geelong a few days a week to go surfing. When you're on that much money and you're done with work by midday, it's hardly as taxing as driving up and back in peak hour after 8-12 hours in an office. I think it's a non-factor. There has to be something else about Geelong. I don't see it, but whatever *shrugs*

Here's hoping.

Although I have a hunch the AFL's probably pressuring Adelaide behind the scenes not to (further) expose the crappy compensation system for the farce it is.

I hope Adelaide plays hardball and matches the offer, at least to do just that and not least because it's greatly in their interest.

They'd be crazy not to. I suspect they're praying to the football Gods that someone doesn't significantly outplay Geelong with a better offer of a few hundred thousand. I'm sure that'll make the 3 hours travel time easier for him if he chooses a Melbourne team.

The *actual* reality that a lot of Cats fans appear unwilling to accept is that we don't actually know what other teams are offering. It's not like he's going home to Perth. He wants to go back to Victoria, not specifically Geelong. The "go home" factor is irrelevant because he could still live out that way and play in Melbourne.

Of course Geelong is the front runner but other teams have more to other both contractually but also in terms of draft picks.

Geelong absolutely must have a spectacular deal set up or someone will beat them out. This is not a done deal. It's close, but it ain't over yet.

If Adelaide can match Geelong's offer, you can bet there are other teams with better offers that the Crows can't match. Adelaide is praying he chooses Geelong so they can match an offer and orchestrate a trade.

I imagine two first round picks will get it done. TBH I don't think Geelong should part with that. But what do I know.

It's not Adelaide or Geelong. It's Geelong. He will be a Geelong player next year. It's been known for months. There are no dark horses or men in the shadows. Your team does not have a chance of signing him, unless your team is Geelong.

Not trying to be a dick but hopefully that'll stop at least one person who can't be bothered reading through more than half a page of this thread, coming in and thinking the Hawks or Pies are a shot. They're not. He'll be at Geelong.

It is done.

It's crazy that Adelaide would actually match and then accept a first round pick in 2015 and 2016, when they could have had 2 and 3 (Brayshaw and Petracca) last year. They rejected Melbourne's trade. I suspect Danger said no, but Geelong was never going to offer both Danger and Adelaide the best deal. There are far better deals out there.

It is done.

It seems likely. It's not done until it's done. Clark was a done deal to Freo four years ago. Judd was going to Melbourne in 2007. As long as there are better deals out there (and there are), then it's not done until it's actually done.

I have seen so many people state Adel must match because the outcome re compensation is unfair. So let me pose them a few questions.

The FREE agency system was designed as a system to promote EASIER movement of players who had given their clubs extended service. If Adel match, and Danger becomes nothing more than an out of contract player, what benefit exactly has his Free Agency status delivered him? Is it fair that his status after 8 years exemplary service, and as a FA, is the same as a James Aish or Jarrad Jansen?

Is it fair or discriminatory that Danger, in the event of a match, should be treated differently to EVERY OTHER Free Agent before him? Was this really how the AFL and AFLPA intended the system to work? Why should the Cats become Guinea pigs in the final 12 months of a system that will likely be further diluted in a years time when a new CBA rolls out? Particularly given precisely ZERO clubs have exercised their matching right to this point.

Furthermore, the matching right was never intended for the purpose of extracting a club a better trade outcome. This is precisely why no club has used it for this purpose, and why there is a compensatory formula in place. It was intended for a situation where a player was open to staying at his club but wanted to fully test the market re his value $$.

This is why no club has matched to date. The system was designed to function for the benefit of the PLAYERS not the clubs. It is a system that both gives and takes, and the Crows will likely have seen both sides of that soon. If Adel were to match it will only militarise and embolden the AFLPA in a year which will require negotiation of a new CBA. This would not be a good outcome for the AFL, and thus it's an outcome I don't expect to happen.

Put simply, Adel matching would require it to go rogue and nuclear on the Free Agency system, and against key stakeholders (AFL, AFLPA). Again, this would be madness and thus it will not happen IMO.
You're missing a key word.

RESTRICTED free agency.

Adelaide are well within their rights to match the deal and there's something very wrong with you if you think that's "going rogue and nuclear on the Free Agency system".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's crazy that Adelaide would actually match and then accept a first round pick in 2015 and 2016, when they could have had 2 and 3 (Brayshaw and Petracca) last year. They rejected Melbourne's trade. I suspect Danger said no, but Geelong was never going to offer both Danger and Adelaide the best deal. There are far better deals out there.

No they didn't because it was never offered.

I notice there was a few comments about actual football. I wonder who made up that bit for her.

My favourite was when she wrote an exclusive about Swanny leaving - nek minut a front pager in the HS almost the next day saying he signed on again for 3 years.

One of the greatest stich ups ever of a journo, by Swanny and his team, to leak the opposite of what he was doing.

Deerwayne on AA has said that the deal is done between Adelaide and Geelong and its a trade and not FA.
First round this year and next.

Derwayne was also saying a few weeks ago on 3aw that the deal with the Cats was done and it was 1.2m over 5 years. Those figures are off the mark so I wouldn't read too much into derwaynes "mail".

You're missing a key word.

RESTRICTED free agency.

Adelaide are well within their rights to match the deal and there's something very wrong with you if you think that's "going rogue and nuclear on the Free Agency system".

You need to read my post again. Feel free to attack my points, but if you want to play the man and post simplistic jargon I will not engage again.

It seems likely. It's not done until it's done. Clark was a done deal to Freo four years ago. Judd was going to Melbourne in 2007. As long as there are better deals out there (and there are), then it's not done until it's actually done.
Maybe its a player in the mix as well as two first rounders.
Alot of the Cats flogs have disapeared now it looks like they aint getting Danger for nothing. The change of Geelong offering their first pick for Henderson to now a player and later pick should have made even the dumbest of Cats supporters realized something was up.

Your thoughts on the trade that will get the deal done?

I will happily say that I"ve known Danger to Geelong has been done for yonks. None of this "I know a guy, who knows a guy", I've KNOWN he was coming for a long time. I stated it as a fact in this thread a while ago and even offered an account bet on it, I'm pretty sure you would of read some of my posts on the matter, you've been in this thread for a while mate AND I will just as happily say that I have no inside word on the specifics of the trade. None. I have heard some conjecture, non BF, non media conjecture though...

Two 1st's will be the absolute maximum. Not a starting point, I'm pretty confident in that. I also believe it could involve a second rounder swapping hands. I think Geelong would like to give up R1 and R2 this year. It could be R1 this year, R1 next year with an R2 coming back.

Any talk of two 1st's and a player like Cockatoo, is nothing short of laughable fantasy.

Derwayne was also saying a few weeks ago on 3aw that the deal with the Cats was done and it was 1.2m over 5 years. Those figures are off the mark so I wouldn't read too much into derwaynes "mail".
He also said to Bickley that after the on air talk he would tell him off air who his source is and that would instantly make him confident of it.

Do you know what RFA stands for?

Means his movement is restricted , you are making no sense

See comment above re Dwayne Russell ...the likely outcome is 2 1st round draft picks to adelaide from Geelong this year and next year ....and yes it wouldn't surprise me if it's already been agreed

And in saying that you are giving up much less than if you had to pay him $1.2 million a season to blow our offer out of the water and get him for 'nothing'...your list management would suffer and you would lose players

He is obviously worth more than 2 1st round draft picks so either be content that you are recruiting our best player under market odds or wait 2 years until he is a unrestricted free agent and grab him then

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back