Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

No I'm hoping for a Luke Ball situation to arise here in 2012.

We have had to shed a few over the last 4 year for nothing admittedly for different reasons. Time for one to go our way.

No chance. If he went in the main draft we'd have to use the ablett pick on him and even then still might not last to then, in which case we should just trade for him.

PSD only works if we finish about 5th last and the bottom 4 clubs are all interstate clubs. Very very unlikely.

Besides, we don't tend to screw other clubs at the trsde table.

LOL.

But fear not, we will be keeping him, Bundy, Duncan, Vardy etc. Our young talent is very bright.

I'm confident we will hold on to them too. However, if Dangerfield was gettable we would have to forego either a player of that quality or a high draft pick to get him. Frankly, as good as he is, we have more pressing needs than a player of his type IMO.

How about we coax Scott Lucas out of retirement? He was from the falcons, bring him home :rolleyes:

Do we need a Dangerfield/Boak thread every week? Considering anything team selection, cats highlights or memorabillia etc gets merged can we **** these threads off please. They are 10 times more annoying as it is just fantasy and will never happen.

I'm confident we will hold on to them too. However, if Dangerfield was gettable we would have to forego either a player of that quality or a high draft pick to get him. Frankly, as good as he is, we have more pressing needs than a player of his type IMO.

Fair points Ammo, although with the amount of list turnover we're going to have over the next few years, I think we simply need to focus on continuing to draft good young players who want to play here regardless of the position they play. Danger could really be quality and if he wants to play here I'd hope the club was at least talking to him, and I would trust Wells not to overpay, or if that was needed, to walk away from it.

No chance. If he went in the main draft we'd have to use the ablett pick on him and even then still might not last to then, in which case we should just trade for him.

PSD only works if we finish about 5th last and the bottom 4 clubs are all interstate clubs. Very very unlikely.

Besides, we don't tend to screw other clubs at the trsde table.

If he lets it be known he only wants to play for the Cats and is prepared to sit out a year?

If he lets it be known he only wants to play for the Cats and is prepared to sit out a year?

Even if he says 'I'm staying home next year like in 09' how does that help us, we'd still have to draft him at the end of it. And he wouldn't do it, not realistic. Like I said, he can use homesickness to try and leverage to get to his preferred destination, but we'd still have to pay a fair bit. The question is the price, we will see.

Anyone who doubts what Dangerfield could bring only needs to watch the game the other day. Was it Wojo trying to catch him?

it may cost us something like

Motlop & Gillies & R1 pick.

My logic is the draft being thin , they may feel that our youngish fringe guys are better value than picks in the draft. Adelaide have lost Bock and now lost another young Key defender in Davis , guys like Gamble & Laidler give our system credits in the bank and just because Gillies is not playing doesn't mean he can't. Add Motlop who is very talented and a pick around 25 that would be around the mark imo.

Anyone who doubts what Dangerfield could bring only needs to watch the game the other day. Was it Wojo trying to catch him?

it may cost us something like

Motlop & Gillies & R1 pick.

My logic is the draft being thin , they may feel that our youngish fringe guys are better value than picks in the draft. Adelaide have lost Bock and now lost another young Key defender in Davis , guys like Gamble & Laidler give our system credits in the bank and just because Gillies is not playing doesn't mean he can't. Add Motlop who is very talented and a pick around 25 that would be around the mark imo.

Agree on the first line.

They'll want more than that, especially with our first pick being late this year.

And we can't afford to trade Gillies with our think young defenders stocks, nor do he and Motlop have a lot of currency. Besides they dont need another young key defender, Talia and Thompson are good options there.

Ablett pick + fringe player or later round 1 pick plus good middle tier player is the minimum of what you're looking at, especially if he finds some form next year.

You know way more than I do about what quality is likely to be in the forthcoming draft Turbo. From what I've read there doesn't appear to be a consensus about what's on offer - probably no different this year to others in that respect.

The given is that we go for the best available player. That of itself can be a point of contention. Anyhoo, if Patrick is considered by Stephen as the best available player then of course we should make a play for him subject to the price being reasonable. However, our need is more for quality back half players to succeed Scarlett, Enright and Milburn. Therefore, if the choice is a line ball between another midfielder and quality back half players I'd go for the latter cos we have a young group of midfielders coming through but the back half cupboard is threadbare.

I wouldn't be keen to trade any of the youngsters who have made a commitment to be part of the next dynasty as this might have ramifications on the resolve adn faith of the others. We want the next young group to stay together and play together and win premierships together.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/08/09/272481_gfc.html
The 20-year-old said he wanted to be part of the next dynasty at the Cats alongside his fellow 2009 draftees Daniel Menzel, Allen Christensen, Nathan Vardy and Josh Cowan.
"We want to be like the Jimmy Bartels, the Stevie Js (Steve Johnson) and Lingys (Cameron Ling) coming through the team for the next 10 years," Duncan said.
"We've all said that and hopefully we can stick together and play a lot of good footy.

So Menzel, Vardy, Christensen and Cowan are all off limits as far as I would be concerned, no matter the talent on offer. It is about a club culture not a mercenary culture. Mind you if a trade with a player who wants to leave or for picks is available then it can be considered.

Personally I would also take Selwood, Vacoe, Hawkins out of any trade talks.

T.Hunt and some of the other untried youngsters might be a little more open but would have to be a generous offer.

Dangerfield is Luke Ball with speed. Overrated to the max. Still going to be a quality player but is nothing like they make him out to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be keen to trade any of the youngsters who have made a commitment to be part of the next dynasty as this might have ramifications on the resolve adn faith of the others. We want the next young group to stay together and play together and win premierships together.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/08/09/272481_gfc.html

So Menzel, Vardy, Christensen and Cowan are all off limits as far as I would be concerned, no matter the talent on offer. It is about a club culture not a mercenary culture. Mind you if a trade with a player who wants to leave or for picks is available then it can be considered.

Personally I would also take Selwood, Vacoe, Hawkins out of any trade talks.

T.Hunt and some of the other untried youngsters might be a little more open but would have to be a generous offer.

Do you really think there is the remotest prospect of Joel coming into trade talk calculations? He's apparently now in talks to extend his contract to 2015 and is very likely to be our skipper next year and for years to come. There would be be an insurrection if there was even whisper of his name being connected with any trade. And I'd be up the front.:)

I'd be prepared to loose a good young for the player I think Danger will be....
You only have to see what has happened to him since Craig is gone and he is playing more in the middle... Kids a gun.. He had Wojo not able to catch him the other night and kicked a cracking goal from 50 off a step early in the last...

You have to give something up to get something as we saw with loosing Moloney and gaining Ottens....
A player or 2 and a highish pick.... that would work for me...

But who knows... all just rumour... he could be happy as a pig in shit in Adelaide and have no desire what so ever to return home

Edited for accuracy.

ha ha. Nice :thumbsu:
I thought more people would fire up to be honest :cool:

But Danger is probably worth Vardy + T Hunt from an adelaide perspective

He is bloody good. Not sure we need his type to be honest. But he is bloody good.

There is a lot of worry in SA that Patrick is very homesick and may request a trade back to Victoria and Geelong in particular.
What would anyone think about a Dangerfield for Menzel trade. He is a SA boy.

I'd say "deal done". I'm a big wrap for Dangerfield and he showed what a gun he is v Cats. We would have to give up someone of value, and as much as I like Menzel, it would be a fair trade

I'd say "deal done". I'm a big wrap for Dangerfield and he showed what a gun he is v Cats. We would have to give up someone of value, and as much as I like Menzel, it would be a fair trade
Dangerfield is a gun, but I think Menzel still has a lot of improvement, and could be better than SJ. Motlop + Ablett pick = deal

There is a lot of worry in SA that Patrick is very homesick and may request a trade back to Victoria and Geelong in particular.
What would anyone think about a Dangerfield for Menzel trade. He is a SA boy.
No there isn't. You seem to be the first Crow supporter I've heard this from. Geelong supporters, please try not to take this thread seriously, Patty has repeated again and again how much the media spun his comments which never even mentioned anything about being homesick.

How about we coax Scott Lucas out of retirement? He was from the falcons, bring him home :rolleyes:

Do we need a Dangerfield/Boak thread every week? Considering anything team selection, cats highlights or memorabillia etc gets merged can we **** these threads off please. They are 10 times more annoying as it is just fantasy and will never happen.
Couldn't agree more mate, I can't believe someone who is supposedly a Crows supporter and knows the Dangerfield situation would even make a thread like this. I can't believe how long it takes for people to realise when the media take things seriously out of context.

ha ha. Nice :thumbsu:
I thought more people would fire up to be honest :cool:

But Danger is probably worth Vardy + T Hunt from an adelaide perspective

He is bloody good. Not sure we need his type to be honest. But he is bloody good.

No doubt he is, but when trading you look to improve your list (as I'm sure you know) which means if you are trading someone out to get someone in, you trade from an area in which your list is currently in surplus not deficit (or relative weakness).

Hence trading Vardy for Dangerfield would be a stupid trade even if it was a fair one.

Wells is a good list manager so I have no doubt he won't be doing that. In reality we ought not stress, if there was a Dangerfield trade, no player would be sent the other way unless they wanted to go (either for more solid gametime or to go home or better contract security etc etc). Culture is important, and our culture is great, so we wouldn't be shopping anyone who didn;t want to go.

Anyway we can all not worry about this until 12 months from now, Dangerfield ain't making any decisions until then so I don't necessarily think it's likely he will come back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back