Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people are forgetting how good Menzel was looking before he got injured. Would not even swap Menzel for Dangerfield. Would want Danger and Adelaide's first round pick.

We are talking about a 19 year old who tore Collingwood to pieces and was our best player against Hawthorn in the QF last year until he went off injured. He is the best young player on our list.

Agree, he is a gun
We need to sign his brother

Otherwise need him to come back and play 5 gun games so we can maximise what we get

The dawks paid dearly for gunston who has done jack

Agree.

I like Gillies, but if all it took to get Dangerfield was our first pick (which is likely to be in the 20's given the number of compo picks in the first round and us being likely to finish in the top 8) and Tom, I'd drive him to the airport myself. As would most of us. No way that deal happens.

As a previous poster mentioned, they'd probably expect Menzel plus our compo pick (unfortunately as the compo pick has a floating value and we rarely finish bottom 4, even that doesn't have as huge trade value as it should, indeed we got way less for ablett than what we deserved, but anyway) or our compo plus our first rounder plus something else. Whether he's worth that is another matter, but no doubt that is what they'd ask for, no doubt.

What I threw out was definitely on the low value of compensation, but I'll add these 2 points;

1 - Essendon are likely to use their 1st rounder on Joe Daniher, and also target Josh Caddy in a trade. Wouldn't think they could offer more than us for Dangerfield at this stage.

2 - Ultimately depends if Dangerfield's willing to walk into the PSD considering he's uncontracted, but I doubt it would come to that.

Still if it did, would Adelaide be desperate enough to accept a 1st + Gillies, or would they just rather lose him for nothing?

And yes I would definitely swap Menzel for Dangerfield (and I am a big Menzel fan). Wouldn't do Menzel + 1st rounder though (which Adelaide would probably demand initially I would say).

What I threw out was definitely on the low value of compensation, but I'll add these 2 points;

1 - Essendon are likely to use their 1st rounder on Joe Daniher, and also target Josh Caddy in a trade. Wouldn't think they could offer more than us for Dangerfield at this stage.

2 - Ultimately depends if Dangerfield's willing to walk into the PSD considering he's uncontracted, but I doubt it would come to that.

Still if it did, would Adelaide be desperate enough to accept a 1st + Gillies, or would they just rather lose him for nothing?

And yes I would definitely swap Menzel for Dangerfield (and I am a big Menzel fan). Wouldn't do Menzel + 1st rounder though (which Adelaide would probably demand initially I would say).
The only way I would consider a Menzel-Dangerfield swap would be if Menzel def wanted OUT. Otherwise, he must be kept. I still see him as going to be better than SJ, Said that 8/11 and got laughed at, then in the Pies and Hawks games late last year, not so many are laughing at me.

Really rate Dangerfield. But rate Menzel slightly higher.

If any player desperately wanted to leave us, and the swap was on, why not, otherwise, he is probably untouchable.

Rating Menzel above Dangerfield is pie in the sky stuff. Even more so in terms of trade currency when you factor the ACL in.

Rating Menzel above Dangerfield is pie in the sky stuff. Even more so in terms of trade currency when you factor the ACL in.

GodDAMNIT I'm agreeing with an Adelaide supporter! Potentially, there's no telling exactly who will turn out better than the other... but Dangerfield has so many more runs on the board. Who knows how Menzel will recover from a full reco - so many players never did.

I agree.

While I think there's every chance Menzel will end up being as good as Dangerfield (and I really rate Danger) realistically it is highly unlikely that coming off a reco Menzel will have as good a year as Danger will, which means he's unlikely to have the same value on the table. Which is why if a deal was to be done (which I doubt) it would be us giving up something extra on top rather than Adelaide doing so.

I certainly wouldn't rate Menzel ahead of Dangerfield at this present time, but there is no way in this world i'd do a trade for Dangerfield which involves Menzel, as much as i'd love to see him in a Geelong jumper.

The chances of Dangerfield becoming a Geelong player are as you said "pie in the sky stuff"

I certainly wouldn't rate Menzel ahead of Dangerfield at this present time, but there is no way in this world i'd do a trade for Dangerfield which involves Menzel, as much as i'd love to see him in a Geelong jumper.

The chances of Dangerfield becoming a Geelong player are as you said "pie in the sky stuff"

Neither would I, but the only way that trade would happen is indeed if Menzel was homesick and he insisted on being traded home, in which case it wouldn't be something we have control over (apart from trying to get the best outcome possible for the club, as AM pointed out). Don't think anyone, including me, is suggesting we 'offer' Menzel for Dangerfield, nor will we. It'll be Menz's decision alone, and hopefully he stays :thumbsu:

Sanderson and Milburn better do what's right by Geelong and give him to us for our lowest pick :p.

Neither would I, but the only way that trade would happen is indeed if Menzel was homesick and he insisted on being traded home, in which case it wouldn't be something we have control over (apart from trying to get the best outcome possible for the club, as AM pointed out). Don't think anyone, including me, is suggesting we 'offer' Menzel for Dangerfield, nor will we. It'll be Menz's decision alone, and hopefully he stays :thumbsu:

Hopefully he does stay. It has probably been mentioned before, is it the end of 2012 when his contract expires?

Is it possible the club is holding off on using the compo pick in anticipation of maybe using it as leverage to obtain a certain player in trade week?

Hopefully he does stay. It has probably been mentioned before, is it the end of 2012 when his contract expires?

Is it possible the club is holding off on using the compo pick in anticipation of maybe using it as leverage to obtain a certain player in trade week?

On the first question-yes, Menzel and Duncan signed for 3 years when drafted (as a lot of our interstate draftees do, GHS has done the same AFAIK) so the end of this year is when they come out of contract.

On the second-no, if hypothetically we traded the compo to Adelaide I am pretty sure they could activate it straight away to use in this year's draft, or keep it for another year, so therefore I don't see why it means anything re trading. I suspect the decision not to activate it has more to do with the fact that we have a good crop of rookies and may have to elevate one or two at the end of the year, so the club wasn't sure whether we'd have enough list spots for extra picks etc.

Different players, different positions. Who's better, SJ or Kelly?
Menzel should come back as good as new, given our other ACL results, Wojo/ J Hunt. The rehab is top-notch these days. As is the Orthopod.
I'm a huge fan of both, but you can't always get what you want. If it is meant to be, it will.

Different players, different positions. Who's better, SJ or Kelly?
Menzel should come back as good as new, given our other ACL results, Wojo/ J Hunt. The rehab is top-notch these days. As is the Orthopod.
I'm a huge fan of both, but you can't always get what you want. If it is meant to be, it will.

True......

but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.....:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if hypothetically we traded the compo to Adelaide I am pretty sure they could activate it straight away to use in this year's draft

Picks needed to be activated by March 20 this year for them to count in the 2012 draft. If you were to trade us your unactivated compensation pick now, we would not be able to use it until the 2013 draft.

IF danger wanted to go 'home' menzel and brown would get the job done.
Especially if Tippet goes.

I'm not saying we would do that or want to do that.
But Adelaide would take it.

really?

Menzel + Brown for Dangerfield, I really hope the club wouldn't even comprehend doing a trade like that because we would be losing out in the long run.

Talented talls like Brown do not come around as often as gun midfielders and Menzel has already shown how enormous his upside given a relatively short career.

Spot on. One of the dumbest ideas I've come across.

There is very little chance of Dangerfield leaving the Crows anyway.

Wow...lots of Dangerfield love around here. He played well last week but can he string games together? Always seen him ( before last week ) as a bit of a disappointment given the hype.

Geelong must be short on bike pumps this week.

The rumours are around now David. I'm not talking about just BF. It's on the radio too.

The rumours are linking him to Geelong.
And Danger has been questioned about it.

His retort wasn't that he wanted to wait until the season is over to look at his contract.
It was that he will wait until the end of the year to make a decision.

He is doing nothing to shut down the rumour.

BTW, I haven't even seen his game from last week, I've always liked him. He is hard, and he is fast. And most of all he is a clearance machine.

Well not sure where this is going, if Danger wanted to live back in Geelong and play for the best team in the league etc, well I’d give him the pen to sign on the dotted line but if you are asking for a strait swap for Menz then I’d tell him to keep Crowing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back