Paul Little open letter 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually read that letter as another snub to the AFL.
He is basically saying that all they will accept is a slight punishment for a few mistakes they made with governance and if the AFL hit them too hard (in his eyes) that they won't accept it and will keep fighting.

GAGF Little. Your club deserves to be harshly dealt with. End of story.

Hird should be kicked out for good.
$2.5m fine
Loss of draft picks for 2 years
Loss of points this year and next.
Support staff 2 year ban.

And that's Before ASADA start waving their own big stick.

Good questions. The Mexican "mix" is enough to see many staff banned, the club fined and loss of points IMO.

I've gotta say, I will feel uncomfortable if we get off lightly. I really hope the AFL give us a good explanation of what they have found the club guilty of so we can assess the appropriateness of penalties for ourselves, although thats probably wishful thinking.

Good for you.

I don't think the reported sanctions are light, as long as the are draft picks and Hird gets 12 months, given that they are for disrepute only. The drug investigation goes back to ASADA, where it should be. They will either hand down infractions on the balance of evidence, and no-one (except BSE) will be able to argue their conclusions, or they won't have enough evidence to do that, and everyone will move on based on that outcome.

whats it matter if the points form year are stripped? they're shit and going no where would've been good to see them cop a flogging first week of the finals.
Hope its just rumour cos it's pretty weak.
How can you people not get it? They don't deserve to play in the finals, it's the principle of the matter. Saying they're shit or whatever isn't the point... the AFL need to send a message and booting them out of the finals is one of those. The players worked their butts off to get into that position, and were assured everything will be ok, etc. It will tear the club apart internally - players might walk out because of it. And that isn't even taking into consideration health effects and bans over their heads.

So yes, it does matter. Unless you want them to make the finals and possibly win a game? They'll have something to play for if they're there at the very least. If they make the finals, and win, you can imagine what kind of injustice that would be. They don't deserve finals and that's the whole point of adding it to the punishments. You'd might as well be rewarding doping otherwise.

The scuttlebutt floating around tonight is that Little and the powers that be have been brought back to earth by the unity and forthrightness of the 17 other clubs and have moved to resolve the impasse. Lose all 2013 premiership points. Hird out for 12 months -which would end his coaching career if true you'd think. Fine. Loss of draft picks. The last matter being the sticking point. Reckon that's a reasonable outcome if there's something in it.

I don't

Think saga has been so protracted and filled with spin and distraction - it deserves an open hearing into all allegations.

That way we get clarity into what occurred and what didn't occur.

A behind the scenes plea deal leaves every fan significantly short changed and puts PR well ahead of the integrity.

There is plenty of evidence that suggests Essendon doped. That evidence should be tested.

If it isn't sufficient, then Essendon are cleared of wrongdoing on that matter. If it is sustained, then the penalties they have supposedly copped to are piss weak from the AFL.

A backroom deal is a disaster for the main stakeholder - the fans

I don't

Think saga has been so protracted and filled with spin and distraction - it deserves an open hearing into all allegations.

That way we get clarity into what occurred and what didn't occur.
Precisely.

I posted this on the Blues board;

'The horse has bolted - the charge sheet has been issued in significant detail (dates supplied, timed to the minute). The AFL cannot now negotiate penalties behind closed doors without allowing the investigation to unfold and be made public as both parties have requested.

When the investigation finishes, and Essendon is cleared of all charges other than failing to maintain records, and injecting drugs not prescribed to their players - and only then - the AFL public should be prepared to accept the any penalties that are being discussed presently.'

I highly doubt that, not the supporters I speak to. The game changed when the charges were announced.

The supporters and players were told everything was going to be ok when the truth came out. They were told constantly that Essendon was innocent.

When they see the negotiated punishment they know they were lied to and they will feel betrayed.

The other side benefit of this negotiated deal is that it also puts Demitriou in a bad light and might contribute towards his downfall as well.

We may well get two birds with one stone. :)

I actually read that letter as another snub to the AFL.
He is basically saying that all they will accept is a slight punishment for a few mistakes they made with governance and if the AFL hit them too hard (in his eyes) that they won't accept it and will keep fighting.

GAGF Little. Your club deserves to be harshly dealt with. End of story.

$2.5m fine

This is the elephant in the room! ASADA/WADA and even ACC final reports still to come. It is entirely possible that Essendon won't have anyone to don (pardon the pun) the guernsey for a couple of years

Punishments are too weak on first glance but my hypothesis is that these are a few strokes of the cane to punish the woeful governance. ASADA should they find EFC or individuals associated is likely to drop a nuke however.

I'd say the AFL are supremely confident that there is more to follow their sanctions.

$2.5m fine

1. agreed
2. needs to be $3m as a minimum
3. agreed (first three rounds only)
4. agree in part (not sure about being stripped next year ATM)
5. agreed

Agree about ASADA too. The players must be given infractions & suspensions, ASADA/WADA have done too much investigation and compiled such a monstrous case against them that getting off with a warning or something similar will just not be suitable at all.

So they're being given another chance to take the plea deal (or close enough to) that was offered to them weeks ago even though Essendon's initial response was to try and go to war with the AFL and threaten to take down anyone and everyone until they were vindicated? I can understand why it could be seen as in the best interests of the game and anything that gets this over quicker is ok but still it just seems like a kid´s had a monumental tantrum and now the parent's letting him keep his treat if he just stops making a scene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The supporters and players were told everything was going to be ok when the truth came out. They were told constantly that Essendon was innocent.

When they see the negotiated punishment they know they were lied to and they will feel betrayed.
I think youre assessing Essendon supporters views by what you see on here. There was a distinct change this week, especially noticeable on talk back.

4. agree in part (not sure about being stripped next year ATM)
Nor am I, but really, why not?

As a club, they cannot say that their program didn't contravene WADA rules for 2011 and 2012.

As a club.

An unprecedented level of mismanagement that has been very, very lucky not to have seen significant health complications for the players.

Anything less than.....

Essendon loss of points and No finals
2013 1st and 2nd round picks.
2.5 million fine.
Hird 12 months suspension.
Corcoron - 12 months suspension
Thompson- Fine
Doc Reid - Fine.

If its anything less than this.....Then we have to have Demetriou's head.

Very hard for us to determine punishment as this is a level of misdoings never seen before in our game.

Using previous punishments as yardsticks - Carlton, Adelaide and Melbourne - you just have to conclude that this saga is on an entirely different scale and as such so too should be the punishment.

Essendon once WADA is done with them.

ass_552a7e_747866.jpg

Stand by, Hird.

I'll hand to you mxett, I thought you were a deluded nut but you've faced up to the reality of the situation admirably.
Harsh.

Whilst I haven't been posting until recently, I've followed it closely.

mxett backed his boys to the hilt, as most would.

The last three or so days have really shown that the several of the club's actions have been indefensible.

Doc Reid being shown to be very, very lethargic (shall we say) with respect to his responsibilities probably a turning point.

Anything less than.....

Essendon loss of points and No finals
2013 1st and 2nd round picks.
2.5 million fine.
Hird 12 months suspension.
Corcoron - 12 months suspension
Thompson- Fine
Doc Reid - Fine.

If its anything less than this.....Then we have to have Demetriou's head.

Close, but still a fraction light IMO.

You are right, anything less than what you have there is trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back