Paul Little open letter 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all way too light, the whole idea of a punishment is to act as a strong deterrent to all clubs to not do that stuff in the future.

Do you think that those punishments are going to have that effect ??

And how does Adelaide & Melbourne feel about that when comparing their respective whacks to the mooted ones the Bombers are going to get ??

There is no consistency with these penalties and they do not reflect the serious of the crimes either.

Cannot really disagree with this. I will not be happy either, but even the punishment rumoured will have a very big impact on the club, even though it is less than what many of us would hope for.

whats it matter if the points form year are stripped? they're shit and going no where would've been good to see them cop a flogging first week of the finals.
Hope its just rumour cos it's pretty weak.

I'm sorry, but Reid's letter, the Mexican substance, doctor shopping, thymosin B, offste injections, conveniently missing records, back dated letter from Dank - unless all of he evidence is 100% false then I think Essendon should have to wear a punishment that is fitting of drug cheats.
I actually agree with this. If all these charges are true the punishments should be far harsher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to remember that this will be a negotiated deal.

This is very different to the AFL coming up solely with a punishment based on evidence.

What a negotiated deal means is that the Essendon board has signed off on the punishment as well as the AFL. Which means the Essendon board effectively has had a hand in the deal and endorses the punishment.

From the players perspective this is a big, big deal.

For them it is basically a betrayal from the club to them.

The Essendon board has said yes we agree, the players should be punished by points being stripped.

If the AFL had just imposed a punishment without Essendon involvement, the Essendon board could just wave their hands in the air and say 'woe is us' the evil AFL have punished us, we did our best to defend the players.

The playing group will see this as a betrayal by the club and the consequences will be massive.

So Cousins gets 12 months and Hird 6?

Does anyone put the two on the same level in terms of bringing the game into disrepute?

A very good example Reaper, clearly shows that the mooted punishments are just too light when compared with the other stuff that has been handed down over the past 7-8 years.

Consistency, that's all we are asking for here !!

The AFL believe them to be correct.

So if the AFL believe them to be correct then they shouldn't be giving such a pissweak punishment.
I'm not sure if this is true though. I think the charge sheet included all possible charges but allowing for an explanation or defence. But even if only half the charges are true the punishment should still hurt.

I'm not sure if this is true though. I think the charge sheet included all possible charges but allowing for an explanation or defence. But even if only half the charges are true the punishment should still hurt.

It's not impossible that the club could defend many of the charges. I personally think that Mark Thompson especially would have gotten off on alot.

But the AFL must have had supporting evidence or else it wouldn't have released anything.

So the AFL had some reason to believe there was a possibility that the charges were correct and unless Essendon have being able to provide them with evidence proving otherwise that makes this punishment very weak.

Sounds like a deal has been reached - that is a very softened stance from 2 days ago.

There is one thing to be charged for drug-cheating and another to be be found guilty.

If they are adamant they haven't doped, face the charges and present your evidence and refute the prosecution's evidence.
The scuttlebutt floating around tonight is that Little and the powers that be have been brought back to earth by the unity and forthrightness of the 17 other clubs and have moved to resolve the impasse. Lose all 2013 premiership points. Hird out for 12 months -which would end his coaching career if true you'd think. Fine. Loss of draft picks. The last matter being the sticking point. Reckon that's a reasonable outcome if there's something in it.

The questions are

What was the Mexican Drug?

Why did the program stop if the drugs are legal?

What were the players injected with?
Good questions. The Mexican "mix" is enough to see many staff banned, the club fined and loss of points IMO.

I've gotta say, I will feel uncomfortable if we get off lightly. I really hope the AFL give us a good explanation of what they have found the club guilty of so we can assess the appropriateness of penalties for ourselves, although thats probably wishful thinking.

The Essendon supporters and players are going to see this deal as a huge betrayal from the club.

They have been conditioned for six months that they would be 'in a very good place'.

It's not impossible that the club could defend many of the charges. I personally think that Mark Thompson especially would have gotten off on alot.

But the AFL must have had supporting evidence or else it wouldn't have released anything.

So the AFL had some reason to believe there was a possibility that the charges were correct and unless Essendon have being able to provide them with evidence proving otherwise that makes this punishment very weak.
I think one problem is that they may not have specific evidence in enough detail to uphold some charges. Seems they may actually get off on some charges for what essentially amounts to incompetence. How embarrassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back