Senior List
Oct 6, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
TV Rights

Read in the Age about Fox trying to bid on the rights. I don't think its fair on those that can't afford Pay TV. However my point to the AFL is before you start looking at the offers, give the stations a condition that Friday night games are to be shown live in regional Victoria, less delayed everywhere and restrict the amount of ads shown. One Sunday I saw the old lady from the RACV with her wicked sub woofer so many times I was hoping someone would come along and mug her. ( not really I was just sick of the sight of her). Don't tell me that's gonna cost you millions and millions. If it does, so be it.

What's the point of promoting AFL footy to children if they have to stay up to after 11 o'clock at night to see if their footy team has won?

A little less fat cat get every buck ya can business AFL and a little more protection of the game of footy and respect for its supporters is required this time around.

Re: TV Rights

It is the same thing, FTA stations just sell the games to Fox anyway.

AFL cuts out the middle man this way so they deal with Fox directly and can possibly have greater control of what gets on Foxtel.

This allows the FTA stations to just bid on the games they plan to broadcast, which is a better system.

yeah, the AFL can say something like "OK, you can have the games cheaper, but we want Fox Footy back as a channel and we want it available in the basic foxtel package"

its really just about the AFL controlling things better and getting more flexibility

And because in the next rights deal there will be 9 games per week, it actually stands to increase the amount of footy shown on free-to-air.

Read in the Age about Fox trying to bid on the rights. I don't think its fair on those that can't afford Pay TV. However my point to the AFL is before you start looking at the offers, give the stations a condition that Friday night games are to be shown live in regional Victoria, less delayed everywhere and restrict the amount of ads shown. One Sunday I saw the old lady from the RACV with her wicked sub woofer so many times I was hoping someone would come along and mug her. ( not really I was just sick of the sight of her). Don't tell me that's gonna cost you millions and millions. If it does, so be it.

What's the point of promoting AFL footy to children if they have to stay up to after 11 o'clock at night to see if their footy team has won?

A little less fat cat get every buck ya can business AFL and a little more protection of the game of footy and respect for its supporters is required this time around.

Booo Hooo

Seriously how are these stations suppose to pay for the rights without showing ad's like come on stop complaining they are doing you a favour in the end of the day showing the games

Friday night games should only be live if its a sell out or close to

The TV networks need to make money to if you dont like ad's buy Foxtel its about 60 dollars a month with the basic package and sports thats 15 dollars a week im sure you work dont buy lunch for 2 days a week

The main reason in my mind why foxtel want to deal direct is the FTA stations now have 3 stations each to broadcast on if they want. Foxtel may not be required this time and they know it.

Channel Ten's ,one HD, is already showing sport and Seven(two) has been playing the occasional replay( which have been taken up by the general public, rate well for middle of the night broadcasts). Nine hasnt really done anything yet with theirs but you know they will be thinking about it.

Foxtel wont get it any cheaper by going direct, in fact they may have to pay more as they will no longer have the FTA channels over the barrel when it comes to negoiating. By the time the next rights come due , every house will have a Set Top box as the Analogue broadcasts will be stopped, Major Cities by 2013 and Country areas earlier.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pay-tv-set-to-bid-on-afl-games-20091201-k3rs.html

"THE AFL appears to have succeeded in lobbying the Federal Government to have four home-and-away games a week removed from its protected list of free-to air-television sporting events."

"The Age understands that Foxtel will have the right to bid independently for the four games in the next broadcast rights negotiations with the government soon to announce changes to anti-siphoning legislation."

"Currently, pay TV can only purchase AFL games from a free-to-air carrier. Fox Sports bought the rights to half of the AFL's home-and-away series in the current $780 million, five-year broadcast package from a consortium formed by Channels Seven and Ten"

Found this rather interesting....

What does this mean for those without Foxtel/ pay TV?

Foxtel can and most likely will have more games when we have 9 games being played. All it this does is let foxtel deal direct with the AFL for 4 games. There is nothing stopping 10/7/9 just on selling 1,2,3 or 4 games a week to fox. Channel 10 has all but ruled itself out, 9 has said they are going after it with fox and will show between 3 and 4 games a week. So 9 and fox will split at say 4 on nine and 5 on fox games. The main thing this this will change is that these 4 games become EXCLUSIVE to Fox, so for WA and SA teams it will mean they are no longer be shown on free to air in there home state if the game is a fox game. Which means no more of Fox and FTA showing the same bloody game at the same time.

On the FTA channels using there second channel to broadcast games, it hasn't been said if the government will allow it or not. Right now a channel MUST show the AFL on its first channel on the first play, so making the second channels useless for AFL. If the government changed those rules, I don't think the channels would be too thrilled about having 2 games on there 2 channels at the same time. It would be a rating disaster in the northern states, and they will argue that it won't generate anymore viewers rather just split the viewers between 2 channels, and most likely lose rating from not offering something different. But this a surprising step forward (even more so because it came from a labor govt) to when Fox can show much more sport. They do it MUCH better than FTA the amounts of commercial during sport and footy on FTA is sickening and it get worst every year. Much of the time it is unwatchable (if it isn't your own team) and you are better of waiting until the Fox replay.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pay-tv-set-to-bid-on-afl-games-20091201-k3rs.html

"THE AFL appears to have succeeded in lobbying the Federal Government to have four home-and-away games a week removed from its protected list of free-to air-television sporting events."

"The Age understands that Foxtel will have the right to bid independently for the four games in the next broadcast rights negotiations with the government soon to announce changes to anti-siphoning legislation."

"Currently, pay TV can only purchase AFL games from a free-to-air carrier. Fox Sports bought the rights to half of the AFL's home-and-away series in the current $780 million, five-year broadcast package from a consortium formed by Channels Seven and Ten"

Found this rather interesting....

What does this mean for those without Foxtel/ pay TV?

Pay for it its **** all anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there are some people who cannot afford foxtel...

i am actually getting it connected in a few weeks though:p

but there are a few people with bills, house payments, families to feed etc that just cannot justify the money i gues

Get started package is 42 dollars
Sports Package is 16 dollars

Thats 58 Dollars a month

That works out to be 14.50 a week i find it hard to believe anybody with a full time job cant afford that or you could go work for Foxtel people who work for them get the full package FREE

And no i dont work at Foxtel just know someone who has

Get started package is 42 dollars
Sports Package is 16 dollars

Thats 58 Dollars a month

That works out to be 14.50 a week i find it hard to believe anybody with a full time job cant afford that or you could go work for Foxtel people who work for them get the full package FREE

And no i dont work at Foxtel just know someone who has

Are you really that ignorant?

Your team out of everone's has more battlers who will either miss seeing the Pies play on TV most weeks or prioritise Foxtel at the expense of other essentials.

LOL seriously mate i would like you to prove that

Prove that the Collingwood FC have more battlers then other clubs

Are you really that ignorant?

No im not but seriously

Im sure there are plenty of things people could cut out of there budget

Smokes
Alcohol
Gambling
Bringing lunch to work twice a week instead of buying it every day

There just a couple

LOL seriously mate i would like you to prove that

Prove that the Collingwood FC have more battlers then other clubs

Seeing how Collingwood fans are always so keen to tell us that they have more fans than any other club, it's fair to say that Collingwood also has more battlers then other clubs, if they do indeed have more fans than any other club.

I can't justify paying for a national sport like that.

Oh, and I can't get it due to the building.

Seeing how Collingwood fans are always so keen to tell us that they have more fans than any other club, it's fair to say that Collingwood also has more battlers then other clubs, if they do indeed have more fans than any other club.

So its a guess ????

Unless you have stats or information supporting your argument you can show everybody dont make stupid comments

So they're bidding for 4 games a week rather than buying leftover games from 7/10 - big deal.

All footy on foxtel would be a bad thing, because once everyone has to pay to watch any footy they are then in the position to hike prices and legitimately prevent some people from having access to footy on TV. I can't see an Aust. govt allowing that to happen.

The problem with the current rights deal is that despite two FTA channels + foxtel there are games each week which don't go live. I'm happy for 7 to have FNF footy at 8.30 + a Sunday afternoon game and 10/One a Saturday afternoon + a Saturday night game, but there should be no reason why I can't watch a particular match live.

Living in Perth you can be a club member and foxtel subscriber yet still have to wait 2-3 hours from bouncedown to watch WC/Fremantle matches on TV.

Your team out of everone's has more battlers who will either miss seeing the Pies play on TV most weeks or prioritise Foxtel at the expense of other essentials.

Well if where going on fans and percentages shouldnt Hawthorn have those most battlers due to them having over 50 thousand members

5 Thousand more then any other club

Stupid comments

No im not but seriously

Im sure there are plenty of things people could cut out of there budget

Smokes
Alcohol
Gambling
Bringing lunch to work twice a week instead of buying it every day

There just a couple

Drugs
Hookers

Remove this Banner Ad