PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Those who work in IT settings may already know of this but I just learnt something that I thought was absolutely bonkers.

So I've helped my bro in law build his first system as posted a page or two back. Last night we were on Discord and he was telling me that the monitors would flick off and back on again when he got up from his desk. Firstly I'm thinking I've given him some dodgy hand-me-downs as I gave him the monitors and RTX 3080. So after telling him to make sure all the cables were properly in he sent me a video of himself getting up off his chair without touching anything at all and either one or both screens would briefly go black. Then I started looking up things in the interwebs and came across this - gas lift chairs can cause an ESD and can affect signals. There is even a link to a white paper explaining the science. Then searching for it I didn't realise how common it actually was. To prove it he worked out if he got out of his chair very slowly then no flickering would happen lol.

https://support.displaylink.com/kno...lay-intermittently-blanking-flickering-or-los

Those who work in IT settings may already know of this but I just learnt something that I thought was absolutely bonkers.

So I've helped my bro in law build his first system as posted a page or two back. Last night we were on Discord and he was telling me that the monitors would flick off and back on again when he got up from his desk. Firstly I'm thinking I've given him some dodgy hand-me-downs as I gave him the monitors and RTX 3080. So after telling him to make sure all the cables were properly in he sent me a video of himself getting up off his chair without touching anything at all and either one or both screens would briefly go black. Then I started looking up things in the interwebs and came across this - gas lift chairs can cause an ESD and can affect signals. There is even a link to a white paper explaining the science. Then searching for it I didn't realise how common it actually was. To prove it he worked out if he got out of his chair very slowly then no flickering would happen lol.

https://support.displaylink.com/kno...lay-intermittently-blanking-flickering-or-los
I can't remember ever hearing about that one, I wonder if the signal cables your bro in law has just aren't as shielded as some others out there.

I can't remember ever hearing about that one, I wonder if the signal cables your bro in law has just aren't as shielded as some others out there.

That's definitely the solution I believe. In the link and the white paper that the article also links too both say ferrite cores or shielded cables will prevent it. I only just educated him on DisplayPort over HDMI for his PC gaming and I wouldn't be surprised if he just bought cheap cables. Though it's not something I've ever considered (I don't go for the most expensive cables but don't grab the budget ones either) and never had it happen myself.

Like I said, it sounds crazy, but now knowing this and Googling something like "gas lift chair monitor flicker" and it's definitely a real thing.

Hey

PC brokedown, quoted 6-700 for new CPU, motherboard, maybe power supply

Can anyone vet this?
Having trouble fitting the parts into partpicker Aus

sataris ?

Cheers

That doesn't make any sense. It says 14700f and 4070 Super which are around $1500 total to buy separately. H610 motherboard ewww and 500w bronze PSU when 650w is the recommended for a 4070.

Am I reading something wrong with that page and price?

That doesn't make any sense. It says 14700f and 4070 Super which are around $1500 total to buy separately. H610 motherboard ewww and 500w bronze PSU when 650w is the recommended for a 4070.

Am I reading something wrong with that page and price?

Thanks that got me too. In the blurb it says i5
How can that be profitable for Frito lay

500w does seem low?

Just don't know how to tell about compatible parts, what can be upgraded later? So maybe better to spend more now?

Cheers

It says "Up to" for the CPU, RAM and GPU. Who knows what's actually in the computer they give you...

Yeah it says 'up to' a bunch without qualifying it.

So ok, browsing on mobile is frustrating, any recommendations for a PC around 1000? Given that's only a bit more than im being quoted for a refurb on a -5y/O system it seems like going new is the go

Cheers

Yeah it says 'up to' a bunch without qualifying it.

So ok, browsing on mobile is frustrating, any recommendations for a PC around 1000? Given that's only a bit more than im being quoted for a refurb on a -5y/O system it seems like going new is the go

Cheers

Others have said, would avoid, call them and ask them specifically what is in the machine.

Others have said, would avoid, call them and ask them specifically what is in the machine.

Mmm that one seems a too good to be true situation.

So for 1,099 dollars how good would the GPU, CPU, ram have to be to make it a good deal?
There's also the "ewww" motherboard, is that a non starter? And the power supply

Is there a good deal around atm for a baseline comparison and get a price point idea?
Searching on mobile is pretty limited

Like most "gaming pc's' are listed for over 1000, but when is that worth it? Going to have to get a new one again in 5 years anyway?

Thankya

What PC to get kind of depends on what you'd be using it for, and if for gaming the sorts of games you play.

If you are capable/willing to put it together yourself you might be able to re-use components you already have.

If you are going to go down the pre-built route, Techfast has been advertising on OzBargain for years so might be okay on the cheaper end (I'm only guessing this based on the fact they haven't been driven off the site by downvotes/negative reviews). If you do go down the Techfast route, I probably wouldn't get anything with a RX570 in it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What PC to get kind of depends on what you'd be using it for, and if for gaming the sorts of games you play.

If you are capable/willing to put it together yourself you might be able to re-use components you already have.

If you are going to go down the pre-built route, Techfast has been advertising on OzBargain for years so might be okay on the cheaper end (I'm only guessing this based on the fact they haven't been driven off the site by downvotes/negative reviews). If you do go down the Techfast route, I probably wouldn't get anything with a RX570 in it

Thanks noted.

Tricky.. not a great option

Keep being told try Elden ring.
Far cry, Skyrim, the new civ would be good.
The new king arthur games
What will be needed for the new GTA?

Don't really know the specs of my old machine but there are options for 6/700 that seem reasonable, but making the jump to around 1000 might be worth it to futureproof? Or just get minimum and wait and spend like 1500 or even 2000 in five or so years?

That a good one for a while? Only 550 PSU? Would that be a block if trying to upgrade it in five years?

Last edited:
Thanks noted.

Don't really know the specs of my old machine but there are options for 6/700 that seem reasonable, but making the jump to around 1000 might be worth it to futureproof? Or just get minimum and wait and spend like 1500 or even 2000 in five or so years?

What are your current specs? This would help us a lot in figuring out where you need to be spending for future proofing.

Future proofing isn't really a thing, it's just spending money.

That a good one for a while? Only 550 PSU? Would that be a block if trying to upgrade it in five years?
This pc doesnt have a graphics card in it, so you'd be stuck with using integrated graphics (basically only good for playing old games at low graphics quality)

Thanks noted.

That comes with no GPU by the look of it so you would be up for more on top of that. 550w seems low to me. I'd aim for 800 minimum if you plan to do any gaming but it also depends on what GPU you have.

With what you would be paying for a GPU you are better off looking at the PCs in the $1500-$2000 range on there.

What are your current specs? This would help us a lot in figuring out where you need to be spending for future proofing.

Future proofing isn't really a thing, it's just spending money.

Ha, ok right

Ahm ya don't have the specs. Crashed quite often tho.
Apparently the mboard is quite rare or not compatible with much and that's why it's 6/700 for new CPU, mboard, PSU

Thanks yes right think I realised the lack of video card before but forgot
That's lots of dollars
Surely there's one closer to 1000 that can manage??
Browsing on mobile is slow.

Ohhhh like there's Hades 2 now.

Thanks humm damn... Not apparent on mobile.. slow process.. again would appreciate if anyone has some links for value machines around 1g? Cheers

You mentioned games and I'll be honest with you. Unless there is some ridiculous sale you will not find much of anything that is worth it for playing games for $1k. You are looking at $1200-$1300 minimum, IMO for a low end gaming PC but probably closer to a minimum of $1800-$2000 for something even halfway decent.

You also asked what will be needed for the new GTA. To be able to run it with anything above medium graphics I would suggest you will be looking at $2k+ but the specs haven't been released so we don't really know yet.

I am assuming it has been years since you last looked at buying a PC because you seem to have an unrealistic expectation on the price of computers and components these days. I am going to be brutally honest with you and say you need to be prepared to up your budget or forget about buying a new computer. The days of buying something decent for $1000 are long over.

Others may disagree with me but that is just my take.

You mentioned games and I'll be honest with you. Unless there is some ridiculous sale you will not find much of anything that is worth it for playing games for $1k. You are looking at $1200-$1300 minimum, IMO for a low end gaming PC but probably closer to a minimum of $1800-$2000 for something even halfway decent.

You also asked what will be needed for the new GTA. To be able to run it with anything above medium graphics I would suggest you will be looking at $2k+ but the specs haven't been released so we don't really know yet.

I am assuming it has been years since you last looked at buying a PC because you seem to have an unrealistic expectation on the price of computers and components these days. I am going to be brutally honest with you and say you need to be prepared to up your budget or forget about buying a new computer. The days of buying something decent for $1000 are long over.

Others may disagree with me but that is just my take.

Thankya appreciate it.

It has been years, last was during lockdown so just needed something so don't really know what it's specs were to compare with.

ON way to acceptance stage.

Seems generally it's
CPU - roughly 250/300
GPU about the same
Mboard - 200ish
Ram - 100
Psu - 150

Then there's case, windows, CPU cooler, etc

So there's no crazy sales on!??

Any standouts from that line-up? The polar & krypton seem good for 1.5?

Thankya appreciate it.

It has been years, last was during lockdown so just needed something so don't really know what it's specs were to compare with.

ON way to acceptance stage.

Seems generally it's
CPU - roughly 250/300
GPU about the same
Mboard - 200ish
Ram - 100
Psu - 150

Then there's case, windows, CPU cooler, etc

So there's no crazy sales on!??

Any standouts from that line-up? The polar & krypton seem good for 1.5?

a $250/$300 (new) GFX card isn't going to be able to do much for modern games (imo).

Have you checked out scorptec?

a $250/$300 (new) GFX card isn't going to be able to do much for modern games (imo).

Have you checked out scorptec?

Still under quoting argh

Being able to deal with Elden ring and the new civ would be good

Yes tho looking again now they mostly do seem to clear the recommendations from the last five or so pages here

Do the scorptec ones generally compare favourably to the price equivalents elsewhere, like that nebulapc?

There are minor variations between the ones over 1200$ish

Any specific ones that stand out in that 1200-1500 range?

Again thanks soz for thread clogging should've read back before, cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back