Strategy Pendles down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

He can play anywhere, hes that good

Ps ruck aside ofcourse

So was Hodge for Hawks, they didn't send him back because he was no good as a mid he was a gun mid and better then Mitchell he went back for strategic reasons and when they needed him he would play on ball.

Theory behind it is setting up the attacks off HB from turnovers, these days most mid clearances are rushed or defended anyway.

Just goes to show how much I know about footy! I will leave the strategy to the master coach.

Ok so just a random thought, I know that a lot of people will disagree. Bucks recently mentioned the need to find quality ball users from HB “ which most of us already know “ .

Purely based on the assumption that we get one of Treloar / Aish or perhaps both our midfield for all intents and purposes is probably our strongest line. Adams, Greenwood, Crisp, Sidebottom, Da-Goey, “Treloar / Aish “ as the main stays and then Elliott, Fasolo, Swan. Pinch hitters.

Some have suggested that we send Sidebottom back. I argue that his best asset is his two way running and therefore we lose that if he goes back.

My Opinion is actually send Pendles down there.. Now before you Jump down my throat. Think Luke Hodge. I’m not saying play there week in week out or 100 % of game time. But I believe that he reads the game better then anyone. He is strong overhead, and kicks the ball well. Also as Captain I think when playing down back you can see the game unfold and make better decisions for team structures. Obviously he would go into the midfield when required but I do believe playing in the backline would benefit the team.

Thoughts ?
you're a genius!

It was great move sending Pendles back and Swanny forward, because as a few people have mentioned they can find the footy wherever they play, therefore its more about where they will best impact the team. Its interesting that most teams that play us are happy to either let Swanny and Pendles rack up the possies or send a player that will go head to head with Pendles to exploit his lack of defensive skills (both of them have racked up big numbers in nearly all our losses). Think Blicavs first time we played them and Vince the last time we played Melbourne, both played a pivotal role in beating Pendles and ultimately gave their team the upper hand in winning the game. Before people start sending me hate mail, i love Pendles as much as the next but its hard to deny that he's more offensive than defensive....and he's earned that right to do so. Question is, is it better for the team to have more accountable mids who might not rack up mid 30s to 40ps, but get enough of the ball to hurt the opposition and at the same time negate their opposition.
It seemed to be the strategy on Friday night. Adams (great defensive mid, who racked it ip but more importantly was extremely accountable), Crisp (same goes), Greenwood (did a number on Selwood) and Degoey (same goes). These boys had most of the responsibility placed on them and low and behold a more accountable midfield helped us win a game against a reasonable side. Yes there were other important factors in winning the game (hitting targets among them) but this is the Hawthorn and Sydney model that has worked so well for them over the years. I hope we continue to employ strategies like this as this is the type of midfield that can win games against the best. Having Pendles collecting 30 ps off the half back whilst running through the midfield when we need him is an absolute luxury and something Hawthorn have done so brilliantly with Hodge over the years!!!!

With Reidy back we've got 2 elite left footers moving the ball out of the backline. Add in Marley who's improved and Maynard who'll be good on the left as well, so we are looking good for classy left footers out of defence.
On the downside big Browny and Tooves play back there as well :p

Ok so just a random thought, I know that a lot of people will disagree. Bucks recently mentioned the need to find quality ball users from HB “ which most of us already know “ .

Purely based on the assumption that we get one of Treloar / Aish or perhaps both our midfield for all intents and purposes is probably our strongest line. Adams, Greenwood, Crisp, Sidebottom, Da-Goey, “Treloar / Aish “ as the main stays and then Elliott, Fasolo, Swan. Pinch hitters.

Some have suggested that we send Sidebottom back. I argue that his best asset is his two way running and therefore we lose that if he goes back.

My Opinion is actually send Pendles down there.. Now before you Jump down my throat. Think Luke Hodge. I’m not saying play there week in week out or 100 % of game time. But I believe that he reads the game better then anyone. He is strong overhead, and kicks the ball well. Also as Captain I think when playing down back you can see the game unfold and make better decisions for team structures. Obviously he would go into the midfield when required but I do believe playing in the backline would benefit the team.

Thoughts ?

hi bucks [ just joking] I like the idea qb role for pendles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could Aish be the user from half back? Would rather Pendlebury delivering the ball forward inside 50m.

Either way, it shows how much better a side we are with a good user and decision maker from half back. Should we be more active in chasing Yarran (for the right trade price and $$ price)?

Could Aish be the user from half back? Would rather Pendlebury delivering the ball forward inside 50m.

Either way, it shows how much better a side we are with a good user and decision maker from half back. Should we be more active in chasing Yarran (for the right trade price and $$ price)?

Hampton would be cheaper and will be a similar talent in time.

If we could somehow manage to pull off and Treloar plus Hampton trade with GWS that would be an excellent result.

Somehow I don't think the club is looking at anything more then Treloar from GWS atm and then I think Aish deal will be next on the list.

Thoughts ?

is that you Bucks..?

Wanted to test out the theory on the fans first?

lol Thanks for all the Love, I almost feel like A coach, when I originally posted this I got no Love and now I'm a genius.. :p as the saying goes a week is a long time in football. Jks aside though I think that we looked so much better with ball users off the backline in Pendles and Reid and I don't believe that we are far off from making the jump from 7 -12 team to a 3 - 6th team.

Maxi stated on Mondays with Maxi that Pendles was playing MID, but after the bounce would kinda work his way in to defence. He called it the Pendles Puzzle!

lol I just commented below that I now know what a coach feels like. I got not much love when I posted this and now a week later it's a master stroke. :p

I actually missed the thread but would have thought it was a good idea to try at this time of the year.

I never thought it would have worked so well.

Still picked up his 30 odd touches, our clearance work was substantially better and we had some composure out of defence..

Thoughts ?

Looks like you might have been onto something...if nothing else it means he will get a few extra years out of his body without the crash and barge in the midfield...leave that to the younger guys

Looks like you might have been onto something...if nothing else it means he will get a few extra years out of his body without the crash and barge in the midfield...leave that to the younger guys
and Da Goes is almost a ready made replacement. I think he had 12 clearances. he does need to tidy up his kicking a bit but all in all is showing why we rated him so highly

Thoughts ?
Dominators you are a football guru. YOu sure you are not Bucks?

Pendles is easily our best user of the ball, but he's also one of our best inside/defensive mids, he can do everything.

If a core inside mid of Adams/Crisp/JDG/Greenwood can be more consistent in winning the ball and accounting for their men I can see Pendles being the designated ball getter in the back half.

Unless someone else bobs up with elite disposal, pendles can be further up.

Or better yet just clone him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Pendles down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back