Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

isnt the East west tunnel part of the Westlink? from the easten freeway through to the western ring road?
alot of the funding for the east west, has been from private inverters. so thats why its being built first
when the current citylink tunnels where first built there was alot of people posting saying it wasn't needed as well. the railways are state owned, no private funding could be used.
the metro sysetm is needed,and will be built will be the next project after the East west link & that new train line being buit from deer park to werribee
the majorty of people that whinge about out rail system are the left winged idiotse that have been to the larger more populated cities, eg London, New yorks, tokyos,& get all excited because they have trains running every 3 minutes 24 hrs a day. it will not work here due to Melbourne having only a very small population to those cities, Melbourne spans over a longer land mass than most other cities in the world.

the state government would make peanuts from federation square to what it spent on it to build it! and not many people even know what is there
as i originally said, a tax funds along with private investments would be the the best scenario. for s company to spend so much money on a project the government usually throws some incentives in it

My fear is east west will also suck funding away from any other road projects. The road v rail is what they want you to think. Its wedge politics

Knowledgable road planners have serous misgivings about the value

My fear is east west will also suck funding away from any other road projects. The road v rail is what they want you to think. Its wedge politics

Knowledgable road planners have serous misgivings about the value
prehaps, its a project that needs to happen the East West tunnel, & its not a smell project buy any means alot of the money for it will be coming from private investments, as many major hwys are privatly owned across australis
funds for rail projects in vic can only from the state as its state owned,if you look at the melbourne town planning side, the metro system is due to be started after they finish the new wyndham vale & some up grades have been done to several ground level crossing sites across the South East of melbourne

Stop polluting this thread with content about the East-West Link. FFS.

Woodhead design for the new Belmont Park Station.

Perth-Stadium-Banner-1.jpg

Perth-Stadium-Banner-2.jpg

Perth-Stadium-Banner-3.jpg

http://www.woodhead.com.au/news/belmont-park-station/

What they should just do is bulldoze Subi and bulldoze the WACA (I'll cry but it needs to be done) and use those proceeds to help pay for the stadium.
Compensate the WAFC (which is state government anyway) and the WACA by letting them run the stadium for half the year each.

Both the WACA and Subi are sitting on goldmines.

This.

Can someone explain to me why they are not building a multi purpose cricket AFL stadium? Every other capital city has the AFL/cricket equivalent (i.e. Adelaide Oval, MCG, SCG, GABBA). I am not a perth resident, but it seems (looking at a map), that the WACA has a great location adjacent to the city. Could they not have rebuilt/redeveloped that stadium to move AFL into the city (a la Adelaide Oval)? Would have been a helluva lot cheaper IMO.

This.

Can someone explain to me why they are not building a multi purpose cricket AFL stadium? Every other capital city has the AFL/cricket equivalent (i.e. Adelaide Oval, MCG, SCG, GABBA). I am not a perth resident, but it seems (looking at a map), that the WACA has a great location adjacent to the city. Could they not have rebuilt/redeveloped that stadium to move AFL into the city (a la Adelaide Oval)? Would have been a helluva lot cheaper IMO.

because the WACA actually owns it stadium (well has a 1000 year lease).

And there is no space to expand the WACA.
Burswood is actually a pretty good location.

This.

The WACA is actually in awkward spot regards public transport. It's a fair old walk from the nearest train station. Access is pretty much by bus, or by private car, and it's traffic grid-lock even with a modest crowd of 15,000. Any new stadium needs a spot right along the railway line to move big numbers of people. The WACA don't want to move to another spot, as everyone else has said, because they have a 999 year lease on their current patch. They were offered to be part of the new stadium way back in 2005 or 2006 when the idea was first floated, but they turned it down.

Subi has 2,access rail lines.
The northern and freo.
The new stadium will have all 4 lines covered.
Barnet is right when he says public transport is the way to go.

Apart from works relating to GFF and the railway there isn't much else going on apart from the above.

Those that are familiar with the Riverside precinct near the Causeway in East Perth would know what to expect, as the Lend Lease site has had a similar process done to it and it won't start construction until next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it'll probably read like:

AFL: Fremantle, West Coast
T20: Australia, Scorchers, Warriors finals
ODI: Australia
Tests: Ashes

WACA:
T20: Warriors
ODI: Warriors
Tests: Warriors, probably 3/4 Aust. tests

Correct? I can't see much Glory love occurring at the new ground.

Don't see why they would need to use the new stadium, not unless they draw one of the big European clubs for a scratchie. They can't even fill their current home.

WACA:

Plus soccer and union internationals.

Western Warriors don't play T20.

WACA:

Is it true though that the ICC requires a pitch to be in place all season for a Test Match?
Eg., MCG-style, drop it in at start of summer, take it out at the end, otherwise it's not going to meet ICC Test Match standards? Pretty sure this (and crowds) are why NZ still plays Tests at Basin Reserve but limited-overs internationals at Westpac Stadium.

Is it true though that the ICC requires a pitch to be in place all season for a Test Match?
Eg., MCG-style, drop it in at start of summer, take it out at the end, otherwise it's not going to meet ICC Test Match standards? Pretty sure this (and crowds) are why NZ still plays Tests at Basin Reserve but limited-overs internationals at Westpac Stadium.

It's what Dennis Lillee said in a radio interview, but there's nothing I can find substantiating it on the ICC website. The WACA though have said they've been told by the government that no sport will be allowed to be based at the new stadium, so if the rule on drop in pitches is true then cricket wont be allowed to drop the pitch in for the whole season and lock other sports out.

WACA:

AFL: Fremantle and West Coast
Cricket: Australia ODI and/or T20, Scorchers T20.

Tests and Sheffield shield will be at the WACA. One-Day Domestic will be played in tournament style format interstate, maybe in WA once every 10 years.

I imagine we'd get one or two Wallabies tests. I can't see Glory or Western Force using the stadium except for perhaps a grand final and they suddenly get 20,000 bandwagoners come out of the woodwork wanting a seat.

Bet it ends up running a year or 2 late.

Nah it'll be on time, possibly earlier. 2018 is a conservative prediction. If everything goes to plan Barnett did say it should be ready for the 2017 AFL finals if they want to use it. The Libs have learnt from Labor when it comes to projections after inheriting the Perth Arena which was always ambition in its budget and timeline. For instance the GE Hwy upgrade was finished 9 months ahead of schedule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back