Peter Faulks

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't matter.I asked did he beat his opponet or opponents on the day.
People are critising him buth with no facts other than to say he looked slow etc.
Can be slow,but still beat your opponent.
A back man getting a bucket load of kicks mean nothing if his opponent kicks a bundle of goals,or has a massive effect on the game.

It doesn't matter.I asked did he beat his opponet or opponents on the day.
People are critising him buth with no facts other than to say he looked slow etc.
Can be slow,but still beat your opponent.
A back man getting a bucket load of kicks mean nothing if his opponent kicks a bundle of goals,or has a massive effect on the game.

Broughts vs. Stevie Johnson - 2009.

What I don't understand is if Tarrant leaving severely dented our backmen stocks, why did we delist a 100 gamer in Doddy? Don't get me wrong, I wasn't his biggest fan at all, but perhaps delisting a muppet midfielder like Hinkley (sorry, he's never gonna make it) instead would have been a wiser move. I think there would've definitely been room on our list for Faulks and Dodd - would've created a bit more competition for KP defender spots...

As such, a lot is riding here on the development of Faulks. If he doesn't come good I think we're in a bit of trouble...

Because Dodd was a dud.He got his game at a time when we had no one.He played his 100 games,when it was easy to get games.
He was one of those who let his man get away,and have a major effect on a game.For a defender he had not defensive skills.

Because there are many kids who can slot in at half-back and play a better game than Dud. He's older and therefore has less scope for improvement than Chinks who's only been here as long as Palmer so another year or 2 of development - whilst unlikely to show anything is more meaningful than another year or 2 for Dud.

Because Dodd was a dud.He got his game at a time when we had no one.He played his 100 games,when it was easy to get games.
He was one of those who let his man get away,and have a major effect on a game.For a defender he had not defensive skills.

Actually in his prime, shutting down an opponent was the one thing Doddy could do well. What he couldn't do was make intelligent decisions about when & where to release the ball coming out of the backline. And he can't kick. The 2 cardinal sins for players today. No one scrapped harder in the trenches though & he was a very decent shut down defender for a few years there.
As for Faulkes, we will all get a decent look at him in time. There was too much going on & too little time to get a handle on everything in the 20/20 the other day.

What I don't understand is if Tarrant leaving severely dented our backmen stocks, why did we delist a 100 gamer in Doddy? Don't get me wrong, I wasn't his biggest fan at all, but perhaps delisting a muppet midfielder like Hinkley (sorry, he's never gonna make it) instead would have been a wiser move. I think there would've definitely been room on our list for Faulks and Dodd - would've created a bit more competition for KP defender spots...

As such, a lot is riding here on the development of Faulks. If he doesn't come good I think we're in a bit of trouble...

Either you are BLIND or related to Dodd. He would single handedly turn the ball over at least 2 times a game directly resulting in opposition goals. His disposal was atrocious and he had all the defensive skills of Josh Head and could not be relied upon to negate his opponent is a vain attemtp to rack up stats for himself. The opposite of what Taz was in 2009 and 2010.

We need players with skill and discipline. Silvagni and Roberton are already better than Dodd on his best day EVER! They have also played less than 40 games between them.

Would you like me to go on???:rolleyes:

Either you are BLIND or related to Dodd. He would single handedly turn the ball over at least 2 times a game directly resulting in opposition goals. His disposal was atrocious and he had all the defensive skills of Josh Head and could not be relied upon to negate his opponent is a vain attemtp to rack up stats for himself. The opposite of what Taz was in 2009 and 2010.

We need players with skill and discipline. Silvagni and Roberton are already better than Dodd on his best day EVER! They have also played less than 40 games between them.

Would you like me to go on???:rolleyes:

That is being quite kind to Doddy. Agree he was a decent shut down player when at his best, but that was all he could do. I did love his endavour, but he didn't have the rest of the skill set necessary for an AFL player.

Actually in his prime, shutting down an opponent was the one thing Doddy could do well. What he couldn't do was make intelligent decisions about when & where to release the ball coming out of the backline. And he can't kick. The 2 cardinal sins for players today. No one scrapped harder in the trenches though & he was a very decent shut down defender for a few years there.

Good post. :thumbsu: Certainly not the most talented (As others have crudely alluded to) but certainly an honest footballer who gave it his all. I admire that.

He (Dodd) had a purple patch over the last half of one season and the first half of the next where he polled more F&B votes than pretty much anyone before he got injured. My memory is terrible for which years it was but I actually did a countback over that period (defending him in another thread) and he was leading the Doig when he went down. Could definitely play. Just not suited to the modern game. You'd still pick him in a wet weather slog on a mudheap.

because dodd was up there with josh head, daniel gilmore, marty whitelaw and stuart anderson as one of the worst players we have ever had. dodd had heart and was tough, which none of the previous players had, but he was just a terrible footballer. hinkley is ten times the player dodd was, just needs to be given more of an extended go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the most important thing I want to ask all the knowledgable posters here.
"Did he play as a back man?"
"Did he keep his opponents out of the game?"
"Did his opponents have any influence on the game?"
If he kept his opponents out of the game,and they had no influence on the game,then he played well.
Keeping you opponet out as a back man is more important than getting a lot of the ball.

It's so hard to tell after 2 x 40 minute games with an extended bench especially considering the calibre of the oppositions key forwards. Even an intra-club match would be a better indicator than last week, so I'm holding off on passing judgement.

He (Dodd) had a purple patch over the last half of one season and the first half of the next where he polled more F&B votes than pretty much anyone before he got injured. My memory is terrible for which years it was but I actually did a countback over that period (defending him in another thread) and he was leading the Doig when he went down. Could definitely play. Just not suited to the modern game. You'd still pick him in a wet weather slog on a mudheap.

He was probably one of Connolly's favourites because atleast he was consistent. Very few players during that era gave the same effort week in week out but Doddy definately did.

Faulks hasn't come from another AFL team where he's played a buch of games already, I think we've got ahead of ourselves with his value at present. Grover love.

Faulk's was on Sydney's list, but was delisted (offered rookie but declined and moved back to Vic). I suspect he needs a bit of building on his tank and bulk, but I can see him playing a few games this year. I respect Grover, but doubt his aging body can take 22 games this year.

So how has Faulksy's preseason been? Haven't really heard anything about how he's come on in the practice matches... What's his chances of playing round 1 against presumably Mitch Clark (I'm not comforted by the thought of Grover going to the 200cm full forward)?

Really REALLY want him or Sibosado (or both :D) to come good real quick. Macpharlin and Groves are still fantastic, but they're also very injury prone. For mine Faulks' quest to become a success at AFL level hinges as one of the most vital factors as to whether we slide or climb the ladder this year...

So how has Faulksy's preseason been? Haven't really heard anything about how he's come on in the practice matches... What's his chances of playing round 1 against presumably Mitch Clark (I'm not comforted by the thought of Grover going to the 200cm full forward)?

Really REALLY want him or Sibosado (or both :D) to come good real quick. Macpharlin and Groves are still fantastic, but they're also very injury prone. For mine Faulks' quest to become a success at AFL level hinges as one of the most vital factors as to whether we slide or climb the ladder this year...

depends who you ask on his preseason. from what i saw personally he looked good. very quick, had good skills, probably needed to work on his tank a little, but he is getting there. his practice match form was solid without being spectacular, showed that he could certainly mix it at AFL level, will definetly need to work on his upper body, however he may end up being like a mcpharlin type player who relies heavily on his pace and leap to win a contest rather than say a matthew scralet or brian lake who are very good in the wrestle (and have good speed as well)

i rate faulks, reckon he will be good. may not be an all australian full back, but will be worth the pick we gave for him and more :thumbsu:

I'd prefer Grover on Clarke at this stage, but the two big men for the Lions are both genuine power forwards and will be awkward. Silvagni and MJ will be preferred to Faulks as well I would think. Faulks seems more likely to spend a bit of WAFL time at this stage getting his body a bit bigger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Faulks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back