Peter Siddle

Remove this Banner Ad

bowled really well today
and bowled without luck

this guy is maturing this summer

concur, the thing is (and I say this as a siddle fan) Brett lee used to deliver 1 to 3 spells every test series of blistering good bowling, with the rest of his bowling tripe.

Is Siddle going to deliver this 3 times out 4 or is this 1 time out of 4 a la MJ?

if he can deliver sessions like this the majority of time he's got 2 or 3 years as a strike bowler delivering. He's fit and strong and built like a tank and delivering at top speed at 6pm as he was at the start, in what can be described as a bad situation for aus at 2/200 ish.

Pattinson was pretty much the same, delivering top quality bowling without any luck.

Do we drop Clarke cause Siddle has outscored him in 5 of the 6 innings this summer?

As Trav said, only 'leading' the attack due to being the most experienced of our fast bowling stocks..

When Cummins is fit, they drop Hilfenhause, Siddle still gonna lead the attack.. Probably. Only until Johnson comes back will Siddle continue to 'lead' this attack.

Haters gonna hate.. Just sayin/

Siddle, Pattinson, Cummins and Lyon are our best attack. Good bowler, not great, will do well for Australia until Patto and Cummins can lead, and either Faulkner or Starc is ready to play as our 3rd seamer.

Do we drop Clarke cause Siddle has outscored him in 5 of the 6 innings this summer?

No, because Clarke has scored a ton in each of the previous 3 series, and his batting record is far superior to Siddle's bowling record.

Siddle has obviously improved, but it doesn't mean you need to post tripe and label anyone a hater for doubting Siddle when those doubts were justified.

That spell at the end of Day 2 was Lillee-esque. Got Sachin out with good balls that demonstrated good variety - both landed in similar lines and length (half a foot outside offstump on a good length) but did different things - First Innings reverse swung in to clean bowl him, second innings it nipped away off the seam for Sachin to be caught in the gully.

Clarke really seems to rate him - you could see that he turned to Siddle when he really needed a wicket and Siddle in his developing maturity has generally provided it. He's also been a huge help for Patto and played a big part in his success. Has taken 15 wickets at 21 for the summer and if he keeps going at 5 wickets per test it'll go a long way to helping us win the series.

And lets not forget how many times he's gotten us out of the shit in the past 12 months with the bat. He's made a heap of 30+ scores when we've been in trouble and now he's really delivering with the ball. Working with Billy McDermott looks to have been bloody great for him and the way he goes about it (giving it his all and being aggressive) will be a great influence for Patto, who really seems to look up to him. :thumbsu:

As Trav said, only 'leading' the attack due to being the most experienced of our fast bowling stocks..

When Cummins is fit, they drop Hilfenhause, Siddle still gonna lead the attack.. Probably. Only until Johnson comes back will Siddle continue to 'lead' this attack.

Haters gonna hate.. Just sayin/
surely this test has shown that we dont need johnson and the garbage that he calls bowling.

surely this test has shown that we dont need johnson and the garbage that he calls bowling.

I concur.

On no basis I can think of should Johnson be picked. He would be behind all of Pattinson, Cummins, Siddle, Hilf, Harris etc.

In terms of people blaming the Siddle/Hilf/Johnson attack the biggest problem was always Johnson. It was great when Johnson was firing in SA early 09, after that Siddle often tried too hard to make up for Johnson's ineptness, Hilf was fine until he was carrying his injury and slowed down. Now he is back to around 140ish km he is fine.

Siddle is also improving over time. He reminds me of Merv Hughes, people said Merv didn't have talent and was just a workhorse too. I reckon Siddle is a bit better than that.

Merv Hughes, 200 odd test wickets at 28 and I think his batting average was a shade under 20 as well.

Not quite an all time great, but in the category of very very good bowlers.

Quite possibly the 3rd bowler behind dizzy and Mcgrath as our 3rd paceman in the golden era.

McDermott and Hughes carried Australia's brittle batting line up in our resurgent period. Reiffel was pretty handy too.

Did very well against the great windian bats as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont get me wrong, I don't think they should bring him back but the selectors have shown a prosperity to pick him, even out of form..

That was the old selection panel though. I don't think the new one has even mentioned him as part of their thinking or plans.

One answer I would offer to that is that he was told to keep it tight and build pressure, so the 'superstar' Johnson could pick up the wickets. The easiest way to keep it tight is to bowl short and wide.
The obvious counter argument to this would be to bowl it full and get the buggers out. Can't score if you're back in the pavilion, but then again that's old school cricket.

It’s not like it was a state secret or anything, for years every man and his dog has been saying that Siddle needed to pitch the ball up more.

He is not really doing all that much different, just finally fixed his length. Why did it take so long?

I remember him talking about the hat trick he took against England. The interview kind of gave it away. He talked about the kind of length he was trying to bowl but he over pitched the hat trick ball and got an LBW.

I don't think he had the control over his length that was necessary at Test level. I really believe this is what he's worked on. Thankfully.

It’s not like it was a state secret or anything, for years every man and his dog has been saying that Siddle needed to pitch the ball up more.

He is not really doing all that much different, just finally fixed his length. Why did it take so long?
Sids isn't the only pace bowler now bowling a fuller length. The same could be said of all the qucks - at long last. Credit to Craig McDermott who I had my doubts about when he was anointed as quicks coach.

Oh! And Sids is also getting much more sideways movement, especially off the pitch. His figures don't truly reflect his value to the team this year.

I think I may have been wrong in my assessment of Peter Siddle . . . .

nobananas.jpg

He's nobody's 3rd banana

Bona Fide strike bowler. GO SIDS!

Right Arm Poo collected his 100 th test wicket at an average of 30.42.

Puts him in the category of adequate international bowlers who take wickets at an average of or around 30.

Was up to about 33 not so long ago, before McDermott started rebuilding the bowling stocks.

Has never really looked good till the last 4/5 months.

If he continues his current form will be a 200 plus wicket taking fast bowler who can slip into 27 to 29 runs per wicket category putting h im in the very good category of fast bowlers.

Currently rated the 7th best bowler in the world on current form. A long cry from when we had 3 in the top 5 with McGrath, warne and Dizzy, with brett lee sitting around 13/14.

I'd love it if we can return to that era with Pattinson, Cummins and Siddle in the top 10.

At 27 years he has at least 5 years of cricket ahead of him if he can stay fit, healthy and not revert to bowling poo.

Pretty crap OP really...

He has developed some class now and I suggest with the direction of the new bowling coach has helped immensely.

But he has always been a work-horse with a massive heart and has often bowled well without luck.

Now he is reaping the awards for that workrate/attitude and I couldn't be happier for the bloke.

Hopefully plenty of more poles left in him.

Onya SIDDS!!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Siddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back