Petrie as a CHB?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
SA Spurs, GB Packers, Chelsea
As a south australian without access to foxtel, I don't get to see anywhere near enough of my beloved kangas. :(

With all the recruiting of talls, I'm still wondering what it is about Petrie that makes him unsuitable as a CHB. Is it his height, mobility, pace or inability to man up? :confused:

I'd think he isn't physically so different to Chad Cornes, not as skilfull with the ball, but height & strength wise I don't se so much difference.

(and yes, it's a slow news day/week/month on the board, so I thought I'd contribute to help y'all pass the time) ;)

Not sure why Drew wasn't played more at CHB, but he did a heap of ruckwork this year, I hope he gets a decent go at CHB before he finishes his career cos it aint that tough a possie to play compared to ruck and chf.
btw just having a pale ale atm.

coopers pale said:
With all the recruiting of talls, I'm still wondering what it is about Petrie that makes him unsuitable as a CHB. Is it his height, mobility, pace or inability to man up? :confused:

He would be okay against a certain type of CHF but he has two major disadvantages, a) he is an athlete and not a natural footballer and b) he is slow off the mark.

Not being a natural footballer he does not read the play as well as a natural footballer and his skills are probably not where they should be.

There would be a lot of tall mobile players that would leave him for dead on a short lead, that is not a massive liability as a forward or ruckman, but as a defender if you can't keep up with your opponent then you may as well not be on the ground.

I'd think he isn't physically so different to Chad Cornes, not as skilfull with the ball, but height & strength wise I don't se so much difference.

Chad is a natural footballer, while physically they may not be very different there is an extreme difference in terms of natural football ability.

If he could work on his pace a bit and work on his ability to read the play then he could become a defender, he wouldn't have the same pressure to take those contested marks or kicking goals. When he was down in form in 04 I suggested he play in defense to help him run into some form. Other than a few games where he went into defense he hasn't really been given the opportunity and he is not going to star down there overnight.

Tas said:
He would be okay against a certain type of CHF but he has two major disadvantages, a) he is an athlete and not a natural footballer and b) he is slow off the mark.
That about sums it up. He'll try, but I was coaching against us, I'd isolate that match up and milk it as much as possible.

If he works harder on his mobility and fitness than his strength, he could play a supporting role to Hale and pinch hit at chf. He needs a huge off season though.

coopers pale said:
As a south australian without access to foxtel, I don't get to see anywhere near enough of my beloved kangas. :(

(and yes, it's a slow news day/week/month on the board, so I thought I'd contribute to help y'all pass the time) ;)

You're spot on. What are the so called coaches/experts looking at??? They're happy to give Watt 4 years at full back & Brown 2 years at full back but Petrie at CHB - why not? At least it will keep him away from kicking for goal.

He is not athletic enough to play down back and his ability to read a marking contest is pretty poor.

To me the ruck is the only possie he hs left, and even that doesn't look good. He has to quite simply return to 03 form or spend the majority of the year as a Rooster or a Devil.

Devil Fish said:
You're spot on. What are the so called coaches/experts looking at??? They're happy to give Watt 4 years at full back & Brown 2 years at full back but Petrie at CHB - why not? At least it will keep him away from kicking for goal.

Anything, ANYTHING please to keep him from kicking for goal. I think his greatest value is as a ruckman. He provides a battering ram for other ruckman to run into and our crumbers are clever enough to rove to the opposing ruckman!

If I might be allowed to indulge my super coach fantasies and quote myself from one of several games in '05...."DON"T THINK ABOUT IT DREW....JUST KICK IT!!!!!".

Tas said:

Not being a natural footballer he does not read the play as well as a natural footballer and his skills are probably not where they should be.
Gee, that sounds like one S Watt.

Drew needs to develop his game in the mould of how Cam Mooney plays in the ruck. IF Drew can get his 15-20 possies per game around the ground, become a key link man and provide grunt around the field, lots of blocking shepherding etc, then he could become valuable member to our team. Like other posters have said, he doesnt have the fleetness of foot to play CHB or FB.

If teams started resting their ruckmans in the forward line rather than on the bench then he could take them, but that doesn't happen as much these days.

A tough couple of seasons coming up for Drew, he needs to re-invent himself and make a spot in the team his, otherwise the likes of Hale and McIntosh will overtake him and Drew will be in no mans land.

Wrath

Zondor said:
Gee, that sounds like one S Watt.

You will find Watt is one of our fastest players over a short distance and I would probably not be far off saying he would be the fastest player in the AFL for his size/weight.

All it does is highlight the difference between athletes and natural footballers. He seems slow because he is too reactive, too focused on his opponent rather than reading the play and attacking the ball.

If he had the ability to read the play all he would need to do is stay relatively close to his player and when they lead he should be able to easily get to the contest. If he is quick enough to get to the ball first he shouldn't need to be worried about sticking to his opponent.

His problem is that he follows his player without knowing where the ball is or have the ability to read the play so he is often lost in traffic or quick changes of direction which do not suit sprinters tend to nullify his speed advantage, he often gets lost in traffic at FB. He also lacks confidence in backing himself and attacking the ball.

Across the half-back line he has been significantly better because it is a lot harder to isolate him and exploit his weaknesses.

1997LeadGoalKicker said:
Anything, ANYTHING please to keep him from kicking for goal. I think his greatest value is as a ruckman. He provides a battering ram for other ruckman to run into and our crumbers are clever enough to rove to the opposing ruckman!

If I might be allowed to indulge my super coach fantasies and quote myself from one of several games in '05...."DON"T THINK ABOUT IT DREW....JUST KICK IT!!!!!".

Sounds like Mark Porter

Tas said:
You will find Watt is one of our fastest players over a short distance and I would probably not be far off saying he would be the fastest player in the AFL for his size/weight.
All it does is highlight the difference between athletes and natural footballers. He seems slow because he is too reactive, too focused on his opponent rather than reading the play and attacking the ball.

If he had the ability to read the play all he would need to do is stay relatively close to his player and when they lead he should be able to easily get to the contest. If he is quick enough to get to the ball first he shouldn't need to be worried about sticking to his opponent.

His problem is that he follows his player without knowing where the ball is or have the ability to read the play so he is often lost in traffic or quick changes of direction which do not suit sprinters tend to nullify his speed advantage, he often gets lost in traffic at FB. He also lacks confidence in backing himself and attacking the ball.

Across the half-back line he has been significantly better because it is a lot harder to isolate him and exploit his weaknesses.
Chris Tarrant
Jarrad Waite
Adam Goodes
Etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F/D said:
Chris Tarrant
Jarrad Waite
Adam Goodes
Etc

I seriously think he is faster in a straight line, you would need to compare their sprint times but Watt is faster than most of our small players. If you saw him run on GF day he wasn't that far behind the quickest players in the league.

F/D said:
Chris Tarrant
Jarrad Waite
Adam Goodes
Etc
How very trivial of you. The point of Tas' post was that Watt is extremely quick, which is simply an undeniable fact. Yeah there might be a few out there who are quicker, but that is irrelevant.

year of the roo said:
How very trivial of you. The point of Tas' post was that Watt is extremely quick, which is simply an undeniable fact. Yeah there might be a few out there who are quicker, but that is irrelevant.
Whats the point of being quick if you cant utilize it?

F/D said:
Whats the point of being quick if you cant utilize it?

Let me just quote something I also said about him:

He does need to be able to utilise it better, if he had the natural ability of say Archer, in terms of being able to read the play, and had his height, weight and speed he would be the best defender in the compeition.

You can't give people that kind of ability that comes naturally but you can improve on your ability to read the play, it just takes a lot of hard work and effort.

Martyn wasn't exactly the most gifted footballer either and was consistantly pantsed early in his career but late in his career when he was better able to read the play and didn't rely on hanging on so much he was one of the better defenders in the competition. It was only his loss of speed due to constant leg injuries that stopped him being able to play his best football even late in his career.

We have a lot invested in him, he could very easily turn the corner and provide us 5 or 6 years as an excellent defender. His speed does give him a huge advantage but it is fair to say he doesn't use either his speed nor his bulk to his advantage. Despite that, he has still been a good defender for us t his year.

year of the roo said:

Its not irrelevant, the three players F/D identified are all forwards, whilst Watt is a backline player. You see YOTR the backliners line up on the forwards, therefore Watt will be playing on these players. :eek:

And with these players having speed just like Watt it then comes down to athletic ability, and the ability to read the play, two characteristics of which Watt doesnt possess.

Cheers mate.

HeLMie said:
Its not irrelevant, the three players F/D identified are all forwards, whilst Watt is a backline player. You see YOTR the backliners line up on the forwards, therefore Watt will be playing on these players. :eek:

And with these players having speed just like Watt it then comes down to athletic ability, and the ability to read the play, two characteristics of which Watt doesnt possess.

Cheers mate.
Watt doesn't have athletic ability? You're kidding right, that is one thing he does have. I agree that his ability to read the play is not good though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Petrie as a CHB?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back