Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy deserves a lot of love.

To kick 10 goals in the midst of three bad losses, when we’ve had so few inside 50s, and when his senior forward colleagues haven’t come close to his level of workrate and output, needs to be praised.

Georgiades makes the other forwards who constantly play from behind - Marshall, Dixon, Finlayson - look like the lazy, scaredish players they are.

He is the one consistent positive at the moment.

Would love him to keep this up and finish with 40+ for the year.

GM has more upside than TM at the moment. He looks like a player that can go another level when he realises his potential.
TM is 8 years into his career. He does a couple of nice things per game but if he was going to carry this forward line we would have seen it by now. His 2022 gave us some hope but his form post 2022, even allowing for his hip injury and concussions, suggests he’s not going to be able to ever lead this forward line.

Someone recently compared Georgiades to Curnow at a similar stage of career, and from memory the stats were surprisingly favourable for Mitch. Now that his goal kicking is improving, you can really see the quality there. He’s always generated opportunities to score, now he’s making it count.

He plays from in front.
He leads.
He works his opponents over to make space.
He is starting to use his strength to win contested marks.

There’s a lot to like about Mitch this year.

Mitch has stepped up massively this season.
Dixon not here next season to be replaced by Lord
Who is our 3rd tall
Marshall and Finlayson in my opinion are not the answer moving forward

Who is our 3rd tall
Marshall higher make sense.

For all those thinking back to 2022 or the odd shank, move on, he’s a great kick for goal.

Who is our 3rd tall
Marshall playing as a high CHF works better. Mitch needs to be the tall forward leading from the goal square. He is comfortably our best forward now. He finds and makes space. Marshall can learn to play true CHF with Lord.

It’s always been that Mitch is dangerous close to goal, his best weapons are his speed off the mark or reading the ball / body work in general forward nous.

And Todd’s always had skills that lend to chf. In 2022 Todd showed he can be a very good kf playing front and centre in a forward line with space to lead and 1 on 1’s, but we don’t often have those available in our f50. CHF Todd can use his skills and push up or drop inside 50.

I’ve always said they’re a good fit together.

The thing now is finding the right kf to pair with them. Lord and Scully both offer something different than either Mitch and Todd , and I think we will get games into lord and watch how Scully develops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s always been that Mitch is dangerous close to goal, his best weapons are his speed off the mark or reading the ball / body work in general forward nous.

And Todd’s always had skills that lend to chf. In 2022 Todd showed he can be a very good kf playing front and centre in a forward line with space to lead and 1 on 1’s, but we don’t often have those available in our f50. CHF Todd can use his skills and push up or drop inside 50.

I’ve always said they’re a good fit together.

The thing now is finding the right kf to pair with them. Lord and Scully both offer something different than either Mitch and Todd , and I think we will get games into lord and watch how Scully develops.
If you mean that Mitch's outstanding form is making up for Todd's absymal form then sure they are a good fit together.

Currently Mitch would play either position better than Todd. Todd's form is rivaling Mitch's 2023 form when he got dropped after only 2 games even though Todd has had 16 games to get his game together. The only things saving him is that we have nothing to replace him with and Lord is hopefully still building towards form after injury because every single facet of his game is currently below average.

It's been a great comeback - he was playing seconds last year when he did his ACL and everyone include George himself would have been asking the question at that point. Still only 22. Missed a year of development in his draft year with complications from a corky and the best part of the year with the ACL. He's lightning off the mark, quickly growing into his big assed body, and with balance and strong ands in the air. And wouldn't want to be dropping back to fill the hole when he's on the lead - has something of the freight train about him

lol what a load of crap. It’s grainy footage and the only thing to say he hit the bloke is grainy footage of a head moving back. We know how much players overplay contact for a free. and the player played on.

Farcical shit from this Mickey Mouse league yet again.

Also, the ****ing hypocrisy,

The footage of Mitch’s 1 game ban “strike” literally shows 2 dogs players belting jhf while he’s on the ground.

IMG_6131.png

Dbj has had to come in here after it’s been allowed to go on.

lol what a load of crap. It’s grainy footage and the only thing to say he hit the bloke is grainy footage of a head moving back. We know how much players overplay contact for a free. and the player played on.

The footage of Mitch’s 1 game ban “strike” literally shows 2 dogs players belting jhf while he’s on the ground.

View attachment 2041914

Looks like a claw on JhF head

View attachment 2041914

This was my beef with it on the day. How can the umpire closest to this let this happen without paying a free for high contact? Only to then pay one against mitch seconds later? Madness.

Morris of Footy Furnace said that the umpire reported Mitch.

I haven't been able to find that anywhere, but if that's the case, the tribunal is going to listen to the umpire if we appeal it, given umpires make so few reports these days. He must have had a clear view of the incident to make a report.

Morris of Footy Furnace said that the umpire reported Mitch.

I haven't been able to find that anywhere, but if that's the case, the tribunal is going to listen to the umpire if we appeal it, given umpires make so few reports these days. He must have had a clear view of the incident to make a report.

I just went back to the footage and the closest ump is 20+m away and running away from Mitch with his back to him (and never signals for a free so he didn’t pay it) the next nearest is well back (behind play) would have only had vision of the dogs players back from 30+m away. Also play has well moved away at that point so would be surprised he’s eagle eye spotting some kerfuffle.

It’s obvious Mitch got flattened from behind off play just moments before. Umpire with a supposed good view to press this case didn’t see Mitch get flattened?

with what the umps don’t see during games I have a hard time believing they really saw this well enough to send Mitch up the river with any confidence.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back