Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Panther the AFL's No.1 target
By Andrew Capel
13aug04

HE gathered the ball in the middle of the MCG, took two bounces, sidestepped a couple of players in Andrew McLeod or Chris Judd fashion and then, from outside 50 metres, popped the ball through for a goal.

The speaker is AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan.
The subject? South Adelaide young gun Ryan Griffen.

Griffen, 18, so impressed Sheehan, the man with a golden eye for young talent, at the recent AFL under-18 championships in Melbourne that he rates the dynamic midfielder a potential No. 1 pick at this year's national draft.

If Adelaide had the first pick, Griffen would be in Crows colours next year.

"He's all class, he's got poise and is a terrific ball-handler. He's certainly in the top bracket (of young players)," Sheehan said, highlighting the individual brilliance of his solo effort against Victoria Metro at the under-18 carnival.

"There's no doubt he stepped up to the plate and (AFL) clubs took notice."

Powerfully-built at 188cm and 85kg, schoolboy Griffen is in line to be the second consecutive Croweater taken with the No. 1 pick, following West Adelaide's Adam Cooney who last year was selected first by the Western Bulldogs.

The fact that Sheehan mentions him in the same breath as McLeod and Judd – superstars of the competition – is testament to his ability.

SA under-18 coach Darren Trevena notes: "He's the type of player who can win a game off his own boot".

Born at Geranium (near Lameroo), raised at Goolwa and studying Year 12 at Mt Compass Area School, Griffen's name has been on AFL recruiters' lips since being lured to South from the Goolwa/Port Elliott Saints three years ago.

In his first season with the Panthers, Griffen made the under-16 State team.

In his second, he was selected in the SA under-18 team and the AIS-AFL Academy side, where he did not look out of place alongside seven players who have debuted at AFL level this year – Carlton's Andrew Walker, Essendon's Brent Stanton, Melbourne's Brock McLean, Western Bulldogs' Farren Ray, West Coast's Beau Waters and Sam Butler and Port Adelaide's Troy Chaplin.

This season, Griffen captained the Croweaters' under-18s and has made such a rapid rise through SANFL ranks that he debuted at senior level against Norwood at Noarlunga in round five.

Last Saturday against West Adelaide, he was the Panthers' best player – playing at half-back – in just his eighth SANFL game.

"He's been under the watchful eyes of AFL scouts for the past three years," Sheehan noted. "And they like what they have seen."

Griffen has come a long way from the kid who learnt the game in the backyard of his Goolwa home by kicking the football with brothers Travis, now 20, and Trent, 16.

But it has been hard work. The travelling has taken its toll with Griffen estimating this year alone he has travelled more than 30,000km to get to training and matches with the Panthers and SA.

"It can become tiring, but I know I've got to do it if I want to progress," the softly-spoken Griffen said.

Not only is he seeking progression, but perfection.

Griffen is leaving no stone unturned in his bid to become an elite player, saying it had been a lifelong ambition to play in the AFL. He is getting more nervous as the November 20 draft approaches.

"It's exciting, as much to see where I end up as anything," he said.

Prior to this season the only perceived weakness in Griffen's game was his defensive skills.

He now is proficient in that area, having spent countless hours working on the defensive side of his game with Panther coach Robert Pyman, leading to his smooth transition to half-back in the league team.

"The defensive side of my game has improved considerably," Griffen, an exquisite user of the ball, said. "Robert's helped me a lot and playing in the backline has definitely added to my game."

Sheehan says the fact that Griffen has been playing against men gives him an advantage when it comes to determining the top selections at the draft. It also has boosted his confidence "just to know that I can match it with these guys physically", he said.

Griffen is not giving much thought to being the possible No. 1 pick.

"I don't care what number I'm drafted at, as long as I do get drafted," he said. "Whether that's at No. 1, No. 2 or No. 10."

stefoid said:
"I don't care what number I'm drafted at, as long as I do get drafted," he said. "Whether that's at No. 1, No. 2 or No. 10."

Doesn't lack confidence does he?

Usually the cliche trotted out by prospective early picks is that it doesn't matter whether they are taken at no.1 or some ridiculously late number like 70. Cooney did it last year. This kid doesn't seem to think getting taken outside of the 10 is realistic. Not saying if its a good thing or a bad thing though.

It would be ahuge bonus for the Dogs if we could recruit another West Adelaide boy to the club. It would help us keep cooney from becoming too homesick into his second year!

Under no circumstances should we trade 2/3 or 4/5. If we come by anything under 10 during the trade period then it should be preserved. We want a group of 3 – 4 more kids to join with Coony and Ray as the nucleus of a team in a few years time. Let them develop together. Get Squirrel back in some capacity to work with the new core. If they see themselves getting somewhere as a group, they’ll all stay. Along the way, they can pick up a touch of hard from Eade. A few days ago I would have agreed to Judd as a good trade for 2/3 or 4/5. Now I’m not so sure about even that trade. Certainly nothing less.

Walsh Bay said:
What's the argument for Griffen ahead of Deledio?
Both players are very talented with Griffen being more of a genuine midfielder type and Deledio a combo forward/midfielder. Deledio is still growing and might be able to play as a mobile KPP on occasions.

dogsbody said:
Under no circumstances should we trade 2/3 or 4/5. A few days ago I would have agreed to Judd as a good trade for 2/3 or 4/5. Now I’m not so sure about even that trade.
Big believer in keeping early picks, but this is going overboard.

With Judd you're almost guaranteed 10 years of elite footy from a top 5 in the comp player - why would you prefer somebody that has (at a guess) only a 10% chance of having a similar career?

BatteredBulldog said:
It would be ahuge bonus for the Dogs if we could recruit another West Adelaide boy to the club. It would help us keep cooney from becoming too homesick into his second year!

He is from South, not the bloods.

There is also a bit of discussion on Griffen on the tigers board a few weeks ago. Their supporters are certainly keeping an eye on him as well.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126371

Old School whats your take on the crop of talls this year?There seems to be more hype about them this year than in other years.Would you take a punt on a Franklin/Roughhead type player over a sure bet like Griffen?I would like us to take a tall with one of our early picks whether it be at 2/3 or 5/6.You can always find midfielders but teams are built around good talls.We need another one or two to be coming through in the next 3 or 4 seasons.It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I've also heard big wraps on another Croweater called Eckerman. A couple of my mates who work in the U-18 system have seen this guy up close, and reckon he has all the attributes for long-term success at AFL level. There's also Tambling from NT, who is being touted as a taller version of Wells. Wouldn't hurt in our Darwin push. As usual, the top half dozen or so will be cream.

Dog Town said:
Old School whats your take on the crop of talls this year?There seems to be more hype about them this year than in other years.Would you take a punt on a Franklin/Roughhead type player over a sure bet like Griffen?I would like us to take a tall with one of our early picks whether it be at 2/3 or 5/6.You can always find midfielders but teams are built around good talls.We need another one or two to be coming through in the next 3 or 4 seasons.It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I'm still a strong advocate for the best available especially with early selections.
We all know the bigger blokes normally take more time. Most of the talls in this years group will take at least a season or two before pressing for senior games.
There is plenty of developing talls available this year so perhaps the club could look to one midfielder and one tall as a way of balancing the list although I still think its our midfield that needs the most attention especially with the likes of Walsh and Minson still coming through.
The good thing about some of the midfielders this year is that many of them already have a bit of size about them.
Franklin and Roughead are intriguing KP types but I'm not sure how quickly the might develop. Whilst one tall and one midfielder is probably a good option I wouldn't be too concerned with getting two midfielder types.

OldSchool said:
I'm still a strong advocate for the best available especially with early selections.
We all know the bigger blokes normally take more time. Most of the talls in this years group will take at least a season or two before pressing for senior games.
I was a big supporter of the best available policy until recently.I just think you need to constantly add to your big man stocks via quality picks.Essendon is probably the best blue print.They have missed the finals 3 times since Sheedy started coaching and he has said publicly that he will take a tall with most early picks simply because midfielders are easier to find and you need your book ends in place to be a premiership threat.Got no problem with talls taking a year or two to get a game as long as they come through eventually.My biggest worry is that if Walsh and Wight dont come on we are going to be left with a fantastic group of rotating midfielders but little kp strength.At the same time we probably cant afford to have many more developing talls on the list.If Veale is delisted it will probably open the door for another developing tall.Wight has just signed for another two years and I would say Walsh has a similar deal.

OldSchool said:
I still think its our midfield that needs the most attention especially with the likes of Walsh and Minson still coming through.
Disagree with that.While there is definetly massive room for improvement through the middle I think with improved coaching we have enough midfield options to be potent in that area.As long as the young guys keep developing I think we will have a massive midfield rotation with 10-15 quality players able to go through there.I do not think the talent of the running players we have is the problem.To me it is more the application of there talent that has been the problem.They all have significant improvement in them.Could probably do with one more inside ball winner.Well thats just my take on the midfield situation anyway.

Our tall department is a little worse off IMO.While we have plenty of talls on the list Harris is the only established tall with more than 3-5 years left.Everything else is pretty speculative.Skipper looks like he will be atleast a handy player and Minson looks like he will be a pretty good ruckmen.The back up to these guys while talented has shown very little so far.Not saying they wont come good but it is a little worrying pinning your hopes on two very raw talls who are still cutting there teeth at VFL reserves level.When you sort of put together a rough possible side for 3 years time it is thread bare in the KP stakes.If there is a tall that is even close to a sure bet this year we need to take him IMO.

OldSchool said:
The good thing about some of the midfielders this year is that many of them already have a bit of size about them.
Franklin and Roughead are intriguing KP types but I'm not sure how quickly the might develop. Whilst one tall and one midfielder is probably a good option I wouldn't be too concerned with getting two midfielder types.
Yeah do you reckon we could trade into the late first round or something similar and target a couple of solid ball winning midfielders with our 3rd and fourth picks?That would allow us to have a stab on a tall with one of our early picks.I am pretty confident Clayton could get some good solid players with a pick between 12-20 aswell as our second round selection.You seem a big fan of Jordan Lewis (not a midfielder though?) and I reckon a guy like Jarred Moore would compliment our future midfield pretty well.

Haven't seen an awful lot of any of the talls obviously.Is Franklin just agile for his size or does he have other strings to his bow?Who at this early stage do you see as being the most genuine KP prospect.I think you said Franklin plays more like a flanker didn't you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Westy_Boy said:
Big believer in keeping early picks, but this is going overboard.

With Judd you're almost guaranteed 10 years of elite footy from a top 5 in the comp player - why would you prefer somebody that has (at a guess) only a 10% chance of having a similar career?
Because Judd isn’t going to be traded for a 2/4 or 3/5. Once you agree to trade 2/4 – 3/5 for a Judd, it becomes a matter of what you get for it. In another thread, the suggestion was Bradshaw for 6. We have to have a closed mind about the first 2 picks this year and anything below 10. We are unlikely to get a priority again in the forseeable future and, with a bit of luck and Eade’s coaching, may not even get a below 10 for some time much less what we should have available this year.

Sedat! said:
I've also heard big wraps on another Croweater called Eckerman. A couple of my mates who work in the U-18 system have seen this guy up close, and reckon he has all the attributes for long-term success at AFL level. There's also Tambling from NT, who is being touted as a taller version of Wells. Wouldn't hurt in our Darwin push. As usual, the top half dozen or so will be cream.
Eckerman is a small but very talented onballer who was lucky to qualify this year.

Tambling might be be the answer to our crumbing forward needs with the other advantage of being a very good midfielder. Both players are not physically strong and would need time to develop.

Dog Town said:
Yeah do you reckon we could trade into the late first round or something similar and target a couple of solid ball winning midfielders with our 3rd and fourth picks?That would allow us to have a stab on a tall with one of our early picks.I am pretty confident Clayton could get some good solid players with a pick between 12-20 aswell as our second round selection.You seem a big fan of Jordan Lewis (not a midfielder though?) and I reckon a guy like Jarred Moore would compliment our future midfield pretty well.

Haven't seen an awful lot of any of the talls obviously.Is Franklin just agile for his size or does he have other strings to his bow?Who at this early stage do you see as being the most genuine KP prospect.I think you said Franklin plays more like a flanker didn't you?
I doubt we could trade into the 1st round unless we are prepared to give up an emerging player which might be counter productive.
Moore and Lewis might still be available in the 2nd round so it's still a valuable selection for us.

Franklin had a poor carnival and I've only seen him once outside of that but a colleague of mine rates him highly. He see's him as playing a season or so as a HFF or more likely a HBF before settling into a KP. A 194cm versatile and mobile player is tempting for us especially if he could be developed into a key position defender alongside of someone like Harris. It should be interesting to see what type of deal the Eagles might be able to put together as a way of snaring Franklin.

OldSchool said:
It should be interesting to see what type of deal the Eagles might be able to put together as a way of snaring Franklin.
They would need pick 3 as opposed to pick 6 to get Franklin wouldn't they?

dogsbody said:
Because Judd isn’t going to be traded for a 2/4 or 3/5. Once you agree to trade 2/4 – 3/5 for a Judd, it becomes a matter of what you get for it. In another thread, the suggestion was Bradshaw for 6. We have to have a closed mind about the first 2 picks this year and anything below 10. We are unlikely to get a priority again in the forseeable future and, with a bit of luck and Eade’s coaching, may not even get a below 10 for some time much less what we should have available this year.

But you are talking about Judd, who is likely to be a Brownlow Medal winner by the time he finishes. We already know this, we have no idea what we would get with pick 3 or 6.

Griffen is the one I would want that we have a half-chance of getting. Tambling has had a visit from the dogs already.
Franklin's stocks have fallen a fair bit.

Maybe its me, but I just love the way the SA U18 teams players have played their games, both this yera and last year (I AM flinching, as a Victorian)
Cooney, Beau W, Griffen and now people are also talking about Eckerman and several others. They just seem to play footy a bit different to the Victorians.

should be interesting to see what type of deal the Eagles might be able to put together as a way of snaring Franklin.

Wasn't this discussed in a rather covert way in the *Hypothetical* thread?

Lets say Clayton identifies Tambling as the best available at pick 3. i.e. deledio and griffen already gone. Tambling is a fly-weight aboriginal speedster / excitement machine like daniel wells.

considering we already have macmahon and ray, do we take tambling? he might be better than both of them by 2008.

OR do we trade pick 3 to the coasters for McDougal, a strong marking forward who is ready to blossom in 2005.

Should add that if we take tambling, I dont think there is no room in the team for 3 fly-weight speedster excitement machines. We would basically be trying to trade macmahon in that case, in my opinion.

I am sure we will be looking at doing deals to get a higher pick, but I doubt that Judd would be part of those plans. It's hard to say what we would be offering as most of the players who were likely to be trade bait at the end of the season have come good at the right time. Wirrpunda was probably on the table at one stage but lately he is looking like a young kid again. Young players like Waters, Butler etc have shown so much this year that you wouldn't consider them a real option. Selwood and Staker have shown big improvement as well.

With us having snared Morton in the 3rd round under the Father/Son rule our midfield stocks are really strong so it may be possible that 1 of them may be on the table but who would trade either Embley, Kerr, Cousins, Fletcher, Butler, Waters, Selwood, Chick or Braun. Of that group Braun would be the most likely but his value wouldn't be as high as some of the others.

I am sure we will look at a multitude of scenarios, so who knows.

stefoid said:
Lets say Clayton identifies Tambling as the best available at pick 3. i.e. deledio and griffen already gone. Tambling is a fly-weight aboriginal speedster / excitement machine like daniel wells.

considering we already have macmahon and ray, do we take tambling? he might be better than both of them by 2008.

OR do we trade pick 3 to the coasters for McDougal, a strong marking forward who is ready to blossom in 2005.
I would do the latter but the eagles wouldn't go for it.As I said earlier in the thread I believe we still need to add some young quality talls to our list.If there is a tall in this years draft who Clayton thinks will be a good player then we must take him even if the midfielder will be a better player.

BloodyRedHead! said:
Maybe its me, but I just love the way the SA U18 teams players have played their games, both this yera and last year (I AM flinching, as a Victorian)
Cooney, Beau W, Griffen and now people are also talking about Eckerman and several others. They just seem to play footy a bit different to the Victorians.
I think the old truism about SA concentrating on skills while Victoria concentrates on physicality and build holds pretty well.

You don't get many big kids drafted from SA, but you also have bugger all players that only looked good in juniors because they were more physically developed than the rest.

I think the old truism about SA Yeah you are right about a SA truism......That you guys think backwards! :eek:

Don't get many big kids drafted from SA Actually there have been a few

while Victoria concentrates on physicality and build holds pretty well.

Look at teh build of Cooney, and look at what Griffen has done since he was a twig last year.

You must have had the words SA and Victoria mixed around in your last statement......!?!?......Please tell me you put those words in the wrong way........Please.......... :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

pick 2 or 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back