Opinion Pick 5* 2024 – Who do you want?

Who are your TWO favourite options for Pick 5*?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we take Langford, Smillie at 5, would be good with Reid or Hotton at 9 as a good balance.

Who would he our core next gen mids?
  1. Windsor, Tholstrupp, Rivers, Langford, Reid?
  2. Windsor, Tholstrupp, Rivers, Smillie, Reid?
  3. Windsor, Tholstrupp, Langford, Rivers, Hotton?
  4. Windsor, Tholstrupp, Rivers, Smillie, Hotton?
  5. Windsor, Tholstrupp, Rivers, Smith, Hotton?
Options 1, 2 and 5 look the best I think. With a midfield like that we can turn our attention to going hard for FA talls.

On exposed form, I'd rather see Laurie than Tholstrup in the guts

I rate Judd as highly as anyone but is there anything tangible that makes people assume he will/should be a mid in the future?

He's such a gun defender, I'd be loathe to move him tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The only reason for him to play in the middle is because we're desperate to see something different. I don't think he gets midfield time at most teams. Draft two gun mids and let McVee play his best position.

On exposed form, I'd rather see Laurie than Tholstrup in the guts

Well we paid heavily for Tholstrupp. Assume intention for him is to play that mid-forward role.

Having Tholstrupp may make us pass up on Langford, do we really need 3 brutes playing the same role? 4 if you throw in Sparrow.

Speaking of Laurie though, think he needs more exposure and can provide us with a good point of difference. Looking forward to laser Laurie in 2025.

McVee is still super young dont forget.

I could see a time when in the not too distant future where Viney moves on, Trac spends more time forward and Oliver is traded.

With the need for a bit more run and carry I reckon McVee could definitely start getting more midfield minutes soon.

Wouldn’t shock me if we end up with Lindsay or Travaglia with our second pick either - and they’d would take on McVees current role off half back.
I would have happily binned Oliver and Viney and played him more middle I just don't see out coaches doing it. More likely Salem and Sparrow go in

looked decent when he first went in, then regressed. Worth another crack next year but we shouldn't be banking on him.
He admitted he needed to work on his tank. I think the last couple of games he ran out of legs. McVee and Riv should be running all summer and both will greatly benefit. Riv showed enough imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're conflating speed with an ability to operate in space and think quickly.

Bont and Pendles aren't the fastest players around, but they find space and use it well. I think Langford (and probably Reid) can do that as well.
No... I'm looking for both, DP.
We're giving up a top 5 pick, so foot speed is the most required imv, along with the smarts... or the speed would be wasted.

A skilled speedy and smart player who can step out of traffic with ball in hand... And deliver.

We spent a lot of collateral getting our draft hand this year, so we need the type of midfield player we have least of...
The Ashcroft types.

I'll go thru the afl type players to imitate, from the draft:-
Neale, Daicos, Serong, Zorko, types.

IMO, the Bont and Cripps types are not agile enough, nor quick enough across the ground. They might be strong around stoppage winning ball, but only serve to add one paced types into our vanilla midfield mix.

We don't need someone with leg speed for the sake of leg speed.
Your right: we don't want someone with just foot speed, but can't break the lines... They have to break the lines with smart foot work. And with carry.

Then hit up inside F50's.

This is what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Reid still very high on all the experts boards so I’m probably wrong on him.

Sounds like they think he’s more of a creative forward though which is interesting.

We could very well take him at 5 or 9.
He could slip to outside the top 10. imv.

Top 10 has to have weapons, of some distinction. Over and above whats recognised as game breaking.
He hasn't the speed, nor from what I've seen, ruggedness, as he will be worn closely.

Too risky as a top 10 type, imv.

Wouldn’t shock me if we end up with Lindsay or Travaglia with our second pick either - and they’d would take on McVees current role off half back.
I think Lindsay and Travaglia would add some much needed run and carry for us, across the half-backline and thru mids.

My likes are jSmith, FOs, Lalor, Draper, /// Travaglia, Lindsay, Berry, Dattoli, Gross.

I would stay away from the huge bodied mids for this draft period. Focus on agile mid types.

Next year ( 2025 ) i would go the other way, as i believe will will need to then replace Oli from our list... and think we will have the draft hand to again hit the draft for the bigger boys... inc Key types.

I think we will get a couple of high 1st Rnd draft picks for Oli, this time next year. and we should us them wisely.

IMO that would then be the time to draft another Key forward type/Tall follower ( 200cms )...
And also some bigger-bodied Mids. If our stocks look thin.

I rate Judd as highly as anyone but is there anything tangible that makes people assume he will/should be a mid in the future?

He's such a gun defender, I'd be loathe to move him tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I would shift him to the Wing Dr.

To replicate Brayshaw's old Wing/Defensive sweeper role. One step closer to a midfield starting position.

He still doesn't have that midfield build as yet, and maybe the tank.?

Well we paid heavily for Tholstrupp. Assume intention for him is to play that mid-forward role.

Having Tholstrupp may make us pass up on Langford, do we really need 3 brutes playing the same role? 4 if you throw in Sparrow.

Speaking of Laurie though, think he needs more exposure and can provide us with a good point of difference. Looking forward to laser Laurie in 2025.
There are two reasons you just mentioned, as to why we don't want anymore one paced mids this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Pick 5* 2024 – Who do you want?

Back