Strategy Pick trades 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Adelaide trade picks 22 and 23 to Collingwood for their 2021 first round pick.
I expect the pies to be top 5 next year, so the pick would be around 13-14.
Pies don't want to have a first next year, and they say they value this draft and want to hit it hard.

What about Adelaide trade picks 22 and 23 to Collingwood for their 2021 first round pick.
Pies don't want to have a first next year, and they say they value this draft and want to hit it hard.
maybe might look a bit better if it was a draft night pick swap after a bid for Reef McInnes (or if one had not yet come for him) for our pick 22 and on of our 2021 2nd's for Collingwoods 2021 1st. That way they get another crack at a player they might want in this draft and it also still gives them points for next year. But then again, there are likely to be a few clubs coming after that pick and might gazump such an offer

Pick 27 and 37 and GCS future 2nd for Collingwood future 1st .
Happy to wait Reef McInnes for Collingwood to consider this trade .
2 future first + AFL future second round pick that can't be trade should be enough for next year .

Last edited:
We have pick 50 as our fourth pick. If we only take 3 players, would there be any takers to swap into the 2021 draft. Or to consolidate our picks 18, 19, 33 and 50?

Essendon

- Won't trade our future first
- Due to list size constraints, we probably can't take all of 6, 7 and 8 into the draft and still pick up both of our NGA prospects
- Making noises about moving up the draft to get Logan McDonald, who we're apparently very into

Guessing if we can't move up we probably try to move one of our first rounders into next year's draft instead.
Essendon's list is now 31, they should go with 6, 7 & 8.

My bet would be:
1- Norths pick 2 traded to Gold Coast for 5, 27, 37 and future pick
2- Hawks trade pick 4 to GWS for pick 10 + 13
3- Essendon try to get pick 2 but fail.
4- Pies trade 14 + 16 for crows pick 9 + 23

Bascially no one wants to be holding picks in late 20s early 30s this year, which over-values the top 10 picks and undervalues rest of the picks.

I can see both GWS and Gold Coast offering considerably more than Essendon for pick 2.

I think both would take Hollands as well.
Assuming North want 5 picks (33 on list at present), they should offer 2 to GC for 5, 27 + 37, then swab 37 + 39 for 32 with Freo which would be better with Freo for their NGA picks. North go from 2 + 11 + 30 + 39 + 71 -> 5 + 11 + 27 + 30 + 32. They gain 51 places on picks 3-5.

Assuming North want 5 picks (33 on list at present), they should offer 2 to GC for 5, 27 + 37, then swab 37 + 39 for 32 with Freo which would be better with Freo for their NGA picks. North go from 2 + 11 + 30 + 39 + 71 -> 5 + 11 + 27 + 30 + 32. They gain 51 places on picks 3-5.
I think they would rather keep pick 2 and get a gun player.

THey won't move up that far as there won't be many picks between 32 and what is now 71. Academy kids and clubs passing will swallow up a heap of those picks.

THey won't move up that far as there won't be many picks between 32 and what is now 71. Academy kids and clubs passing will swallow up a heap of those picks.
Much depend on how many picks bulldog and Sydney have before pick 27 and 37.
From normal calculation top 10 bid will cancel out bulldog pick 26 and 33 and Sydney pick 31, 34.
27 become 26
37 become 34 .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see Adelaide passing on thilthorpe.
McDonald would be 1st pick to most clubs. Presumably, Adelaide would have spoken to him. He may have said "I'd much sooner come to Adelaide than Melbourne/Sydney/Gold Coast, it's nearer to Perth, a more similar city", or he might of said "I'd really like to go to Melbourne/Sydney/Gold Coast."
McDonald vs Thilthorpe seems a 50:50 bet for Adelaide to me, and it probably depends on a conversation none of us were party to.

I expect the pies to bottom 5.

There will be quite a few passes between 32 + 71. Hawthorn need to add 5, and their 3rd, 4th & 5th picks are 45, 46 + 49, Geelong & the Eagles need to take 1 each, Carlton 2. Melbourne will probably take pick 50, Richmond can add 4 players and their 2nd & 3rd picks are 36 & 61. Picks belonging to Bulldogs, Swans, Port, Essendon, Collishambles, Freo will be used matching. Gold Coast, Brisbane and the Saints have fairly full lists and will probably pass. The Crows can add 7, but that will probably mean picks 1, 9, 22 + 23, matching 40 for Newchurch, 1 of the father-sons & Hately in the PSD. GWS can add 5, but their 5th pick is 29.

There will be quite a few passes between 32 + 71. Hawthorn need to add 5, and their 3rd, 4th & 5th picks are 45, 46 + 49, Geelong & the Eagles need to take 1 each, Carlton 2. Melbourne will probably take pick 50, Richmond can add 4 players and their 2nd & 3rd picks are 36 & 61. Picks belonging to Bulldogs, Swans, Port, Essendon, Collishambles, Freo will be used matching. Gold Coast, Brisbane and the Saints have fairly full lists and will probably pass. The Crows can add 7, but that will probably mean picks 1, 9, 22 + 23, matching 40 for Newchurch, 1 of the father-sons & Hately in the PSD. GWS can add 5, but their 5th pick is 29.
Plus I think there will be a fair few of those teams who don't run a full senior list for salary cap and flexibility reasons.

I can see the dees looking at turning 19&50 into 26 & 33 from the dogs.
Brings our last pick in from 50 to 33 and moves the dogs in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible trade move up 3 places to pick pick 2 for a couple of second rounders which will blow out with academy. Try again

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Use pick 7,8 (likely pick 10,11) on draft night. Trade 6 (likely 9) and 2 x future 3rds (port and ours) to pies for 16 (likely 19) and their future first. Banking on them being mid table and their first coming between 9-14.

Get pies into the top 10 on draft night, there is less danger of one of their picks being absorbed for mcinnes this year and they get points for daicos next year.

We get an extra first next year in what seems a stronger, and theoretically a more certain draft and only shuffle back 10 picks in this years draft

I can see this happening but for Dodoro to then bid on McInnes with either of those 2 top ten picks they retain 😂

Geelong's first pick in 2020 is now in the 50s.

We hold:

1 x 2021 first round
3 x 2021 second rounders tied to Essendon, GWS & us
2 x 2021 third rounders tied to Melbourne & us

Hopefully we don't trade our future first. We picked two first rounders last year so no restrictions on it.

Anyone after 2021 points will be giving Geelong a call I would say.

Maybe we look at getting into the back end of the first round this year with a combo of those FR2/FR3 picks on draft night. I think we will only look at drafting one player with the list cuts so take a look at who is still alive on the night and go from there.
You would think that Collingwood would trade their first round picks for points. Other teams may want to do the same. Fremantle may have a few NGA players in the second round. Might be our second for your 2 third round picks.

Geelong have assets to trade for ready made players. Teams on the rebuild might want to trade out experienced players for picks as well.

McDonald would be 1st pick to most clubs. Presumably, Adelaide would have spoken to him. He may have said "I'd much sooner come to Adelaide than Melbourne/Sydney/Gold Coast, it's nearer to Perth, a more similar city", or he might of said "I'd really like to go to Melbourne/Sydney/Gold Coast."
McDonald vs Thilthorpe seems a 50:50 bet for Adelaide to me, and it probably depends on a conversation none of us were party to.
Except in an interview where mcdonald said how he loved colingwood and referred to them as we...

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Pick trades 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back