Picks 31 & 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Clayton missed on Buddy thats all the matters!!!

Don't care about his attitute.. The kid is going down as an all time great..

Yes great recruiting ... how many flags is that I must have missed something

Well Clayton DID build up the majority of Brisbanes list that gave them SUSTAINED success, 3 Premierships, 4 Grand Finals!!!

He has also given us our best opportunity in years, our list whilst hasn't reached a GF as yet, we have a list that can achieve!!

With the knowledge that Wallis jnr and Libba jnr are coming to the club in the next couple years, we may draft for needs.

Can anyone enlighten us on what type of players Wallis and Libba jnr are?

*Edit - just realised they're only 15 so still a few years away.

When considering Clayton v Wells & others keep a few things in mind:

- Other than his equivalent misses in the same time, how long has Wells been in the role? Anyone checked that?

- Bulldogs acknowledged poor development programs (call it "comparatively under resourced" if you don't want to finger point) at influential formative times in the careers of players like; McMahon, Power, Walsh, Faulkner, Ray. Is there yet enough resources at the Bulldogs to extract as much from the players as say a Collingwood do? How many of these players would/could be better or still on the list?

- Poor alignment with Werribee in curtailing the development of players. Evidenced by the change this year to Willy. EG: Would Franklin have been as good a player coming through the Bulldogs Werribee based system as opposed to the Hawks who have an excellent alignment with Box Hill?

- To get a QUALITY tall you need to get them either father son (say Brown) or have an early pick (say top 5 or thereabouts) in a year when there are quality talls in the pool; Pavlich, Reiwoldt, Franklin etc. No one of GENUINE quality missed in the Cooney & Ray year for instance. Ray is still only 22 & played 75 games. Williams will be reasonable compensation for Franklin if the conditioning staff can stop playing him too heavy & get him on the park!

- Supporters, previous coaches, board etc all wanting trade for average KP players from other clubs & losing quality draft picks in the process... most if not all of these players are now gone. Cambell @ Fremantle is older than Ray & has played 10 average AFL games. Thankfully the club was not able to go down this flawed path again this year.

Clayton's up there with the best if not the VERY best - no doubt.

When considering Clayton v Wells & others keep a few things in mind:

- Other than his equivalent misses in the same time, how long has Wells been in the role? Anyone checked that?

- Bulldogs acknowledged poor development programs (call it "comparatively under resourced" if you don't want to finger point) at influential formative times in the careers of players like; McMahon, Power, Walsh, Faulkner, Ray. Is there yet enough resources at the Bulldogs to extract as much from the players as say a Collingwood do? How many of these players would/could be better or still on the list?

- Poor alignment with Werribee in curtailing the development of players. Evidenced by the change this year to Willy. EG: Would Franklin have been as good a player coming through the Bulldogs Werribee based system as opposed to the Hawks who have an excellent alignment with Box Hill?

- To get a QUALITY tall you need to get them either father son (say Brown) or have an early pick (say top 5 or thereabouts) in a year when there are quality talls in the pool; Pavlich, Reiwoldt, Franklin etc. No one of GENUINE quality missed in the Cooney & Ray year for instance. Ray is still only 22 & played 75 games. Williams will be reasonable compensation for Franklin if the conditioning staff can stop playing him too heavy & get him on the park!

- Supporters, previous coaches, board etc all wanting trade for average KP players from other clubs & losing quality draft picks in the process... most if not all of these players are now gone. Cambell @ Fremantle is older than Ray & has played 10 average AFL games. Thankfully the club was not able to go down this flawed path again this year.

Clayton's up there with the best if not the VERY best - no doubt.

I think you're tripping... Werribee is actually a very good club.

How stupid .... well I spend time on this in this forum says it all really.

Post after post about how well we recruit yet we are the worst performed club in the history of the VFL/AFL ..just a little KPI that seems to escape a few including you.

By the way you are name calling etc have a chat to Borgsta

I never called you anything, i just asked

Thats a chance we may have to take with at least one of our picks.

We have already taken a chance on a tall kid with our first round selection!

Take the best available player. West Coast and Geelong won flags with servicable forwards rather than stars. A gun midfield is more important. And I mean gun not just good!!

If Buddy and Roughy are available at 31 and 32 great, but otherwise......

After much debate, here is the problem with the best available theory as I have come to think of it - if you arent taking respnsibility for drafting a team (as opposed to a bunch of best availables) then you are letting the team balance go out of your control - leaving it to the random chance of trading.

This is very risky. Much more risky than taking a punt on an individual player that will meet team balance requirements.

Because we need tall timber on the park NOW isnt a reason to draft talls that wont play for another 3 years. You have to look at the current list and see where it will be thin in 3 years time and then pay at least _some_ attention to preventing that from happening.

To that end, I would like us to select one best available player and take a punt on the best forward available, because our forward line will look pretty thin in 3 years time without Minson, Welsh, Aker, and Hahn in it.

If either of those best available or best available forward is tall, then fantastic.

Next year, I would go out of my way to ensure we drafted for balance after the first round, it being the last uncompromised draft for a few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take the best available player.

We have 37 players at the Bulldogs as we speak and only 2 of them are Key Forwards. You cant take best available every year or you end up with a massive hole in your list somewhere. This is the last uncomprimised draft as next year the draft age is put up and the pool of talent will be smaller. This is the most promising draft for taller players ever. If we dont load up now and if Grant and Boumann dont develop, our talented list wont deliver a premiership. Hawthorn fill holes with their selections. Geelong took talls with their first four selections last year. You cant just take best available, you need to take whats best available for team needs.

After much debate, here is the problem with the best available theory as I have come to think of it - if you arent taking respnsibility for drafting a team (as opposed to a bunch of best availables) then you are letting the team balance go out of your control - leaving it to the random chance of trading.

This is very risky. Much more risky than taking a punt on an individual player that will meet team balance requirements.

Because we need tall timber on the park NOW isnt a reason to draft talls that wont play for another 3 years. You have to look at the current list and see where it will be thin in 3 years time and then pay at least _some_ attention to preventing that from happening.

To that end, I would like us to select one best available player and take a punt on the best forward available, because our forward line will look pretty thin in 3 years time without Minson, Welsh, Aker, and Hahn in it.

If either of those best available or best available forward is tall, then fantastic.

Next year, I would go out of my way to ensure we drafted for balance after the first round, it being the last uncompromised draft for a few years

There always seems a fine line between best player & needs, i think in the first round at least, or your first selection, you pretty much have to go with the best player, would be too high a risk otherwise, then play things out from there.

That seemed to happen in 2004, Griffen as the best avaliable, and Williams as that needs type, Clayton saw too much of a risk with Buddy, his "issues", and having experience with players like that, can be very hit & miss, Griffen was the "safe" option, plus we'd knew we would end up with a gun midfielder & KPP with picks 3 & 6.

In 3 years time, i'd be pretty confident that the likes of Grant & Cordy are playing in the forward line, Boumann is an unknown at this stage, plus players like Williams & Everitt COULD very well end up forward.

Plus we have O'Shea, Mulligan, Shaw & whoever else is drafted between now & 3 years time.

You will have injures and players that dont make it and players that want to leave occasionally. If you have just enough players to play in an area as long as absolutley nothing goes wrong, then Id call that thin.

edit: I forgot johno of course.

Our forward line today looks like:

jonho, murph, hahn
welsh minson aker/harbrow

in 2-3 years time, johno, welsh, aker, minson and maybe hahn wont be there. Minson will have taken over from a retired hudson as #1 ruck and Cordy will just be hitting his straps pinch hitting in the ruck and mostly playing forward. He will still be fairly light - too light to do a ton of rucking at age 21.

Grant and Cordy will be playing then, maybe bouman if he turns out to be any good. then...? hahn and harbrow are utilities more than pure forwards, we need to draft at least one pure quality forward of any size this year to give the forward line some depth in the near future.

at least one pure forward mr clayton please!

There always seems a fine line between best player & needs, i think in the first round at least, or your first selection, you pretty much have to go with the best player, would be too high a risk otherwise, then play things out from there.

That seemed to happen in 2004, Griffen as the best avaliable, and Williams as that needs type, Clayton saw too much of a risk with Buddy, his "issues", and having experience with players like that, can be very hit & miss, Griffen was the "safe" option, plus we'd knew we would end up with a gun midfielder & KPP with picks 3 & 6.

In 3 years time, i'd be pretty confident that the likes of Grant & Cordy are playing in the forward line, Boumann is an unknown at this stage, plus players like Williams & Everitt COULD very well end up forward.

Plus we have O'Shea, Mulligan, Shaw & whoever else is drafted between now & 3 years time.

I've seen Paul Cahill play live twice in the last month in the under 19's for Sturt vs Glenelg

In one of those he put on a Pavlich type display ank kicked 8 or so goals.

I would be rapt if me managed to snaffle him for the doggies.

Cahill missed the national draft camp as he was playing in the u 19's grand final the week after.

Cahill looks alright...

He is tall and pretty well built (well need more time in the gym). He has a good lead and hands by the looks of things and can hit a target.

Hopefully we can snatch him with :).

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks 31 & 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Back