Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously 8 clubs think it is in their best interest to compete in an affiliated league if they are wanting to leave an unaffiliated league (PDFNL) , probably a fair assumption to say leaving isn’t just based on affiliation, maybe lost confidence in the board and it’s staff

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair enough. If there is enough clubs that want to do that then they should be able to.

There will still be enough clubs remaining to ensure the current league is still viable

Fair enough. If there is enough clubs that want to do that then they should be able to.

There will still be enough clubs remaining to ensure the current league is still viable
Not sure two leagues is best for the clubs in the league, I'd think it will be extended to end of Jan where hopefully all clubs agree to what's best for the league, affiliated or not affiliated.

If they go non-affiliated will they say for 2 years, or will this pop up every year?

Is the GM position of footy for the league contract tied into the affiliation/non affiliation, so if they vote 3 years unaffiliated is that the tenure of the GM position?

Not sure two leagues is best for the clubs in the league, I'd think it will be extended to end of Jan where hopefully all clubs agree to what's best for the league, affiliated or not affiliated.
If they go non-affiliated will they say for 2 years, or will this pop up every year?

Is the GM position of footy for the league contract tied into the affiliation/non affiliation, so if they vote 3 years unaffiliated is that the tenure of the GM position?
AFL wanting league to get rid of PDFNL’s GM , aside from Jamie Macri’s reign as RGM, has been ongoing for 11 years and involved 3 different people within that role . The issue with this affiliation agreement is that AFL GM brought in rules at the start of the year without consultation which conflicted with league rules relating to who can / can’t play . They have planned rules that they asked for feedback , which the league gave , and AFL have demanded and made it a non negotiable that those comments be retracted as part of affiliation agreement . AFLGM reduced leagues salary cap and points, believed to be only reduction in state , despite a prior arrangement where they wouldn’t be moved , without consultation .
Despite some with an axe to grind taking the the opportunity , and good luck to them , to pot the board and staff, the key issues are changing rules and salary cap / point changes , without consultation or reasoning and lastly trying to determine who the league has fullfill what roles .

Last edited:

Excerpt from a draft copy of the agreement:

The League can:
* not make any amendment, change or modification to its constitution, by laws or any rules or regulations without the prior written consent of the Commission;

I interpret this as saying the RAC needs to be notified of any intended changes to a league's constitution, bylaws, rules and regulations.
I would suggest that they would try and prevent leagues from making changes they did not agree with before it got to any motions or votes.

Cynical people might say they would try and overturn current bylaws, rules and regulations that they disagree with.

Last edited:
The commissions are closing progressively.

Central Rivers is now part of Central Victoria and there are queries over the effectiveness of the RAC in other regions.

Confirmation that AFL Gippsland is to close.

There are legs to this story. I understand that clubs have been advised that if they want to leave the Picola league then they have to confirm this with AFLGM by close of business tomorrow (Wednesday) at the latest.

I think they will get a few less than that and they will end up in the Murray league, hence the reason the Murray fixture hasn't come out yet.

There have been so many mixed messages coming out on this issue in the past couple of weeks that tonight's deadline will be a good thing for all concerned.

It will decide how everything moves forward and hopefully it is resolved in a timely manner so that it doesn't affect the clubs in the Picola, Murray or any other leagues that are getting brought into the issue unwillingly.

I do hope that AFLGM announces the number of clubs that have indicated their willingness to join either tonight after the deadline or else tomorrow (they don't have to say who) so that the clubs and leagues have an idea where this issue stands over the Christmas/New Year break.

Why??? If the 8 clubs (if that's how many it is) have already decided they want to leave, why would it be hard to see them letting AFLGM know by tonight???
It's a big decision isn't it? Not a big timeframe for all 8 clubs to agree, what's it do for footy in the district? I'd think it would do more harm than good, a far better outcome is all of the picola clubs get together and work a way moving forward together, with hay included as well

I don't think any of the clubs that left for the Murray league are still there are they, I'm not sure after seeing that clubs would be keen to go down that path again

It's a big decision isn't it? Not a big timeframe for all 8 clubs to agree, what's it do for footy in the district? I'd think it would do more harm than good, a far better outcome is all of the picola clubs get together and work a way moving forward together, with hay included as well

I don't think any of the clubs that left for the Murray league are still there are they, I'm not sure after seeing that clubs would be keen to go down that path again
It is a big decision, no doubt... but according to big footy sources there are clubs that have already decided they want to leave, so now is there opportunity to make it official. The big decision is where do the go? True, no clubs are still in the Murray league, but the 2 clubs that went to the KDFL are still there. Maybe the biggest decision is picking the right league to go to, as when Tungamah, Katandra and.... I've forgot the 3rd.. went to the Murray league they were never going to be strong enough to have any real success in that league.

There would need to be at least six clubs to form their own league - that's still a bit small if you ask me - and if that happened, you'd expect an effort to get Hay in to make it seven in 2024, which would be the domino that would likely topple the Golden Rivers league.

Murray has 12 now, so they probably won't be keen for extra clubs unless they came in together as a second division like Central Goulburn did when they became the GVFL Division 2.

Dunno about the KDL. There is the potential for some long trips to Longwood and Avenel for some clubs if it was a single-tier competition, especially seeing as though at least one potential club is from NSW. The KDL also has its 2023 fixture out so that would upset the apple cart if the league had to scrap the fixture and potentially split into two divisions at very short notice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There would need to be at least six clubs to form their own league - that's still a bit small if you ask me - and if that happened, you'd expect an effort to get Hay in to make it seven in 2024, which would be the domino that would likely topple the Golden Rivers league on the spot.

Murray has 12 now, so they probably won't be keen for extra clubs unless they came in together as a second division like Central Goulburn did when they became the GVFL Division 2.

Dunno about the KDL. There is the potential for some long trips to Longwood and Avenel for some clubs if it was a single-tier competition, especially seeing as though at least one potential club is from NSW. The KDL also has its 2023 fixture out so that would upset the apple cart if the league had to scrap the fixture and potentially split into two divisions at very short notice.
The KDFNL could use the incoming clubs (if its 6 or more), and if they all choose the KDFNL, as a second tier for 2023 then amalgamate all clubs in 2024, or go a 2 tier competition if need be.

The deadline is just over half an hour away, so hopefully there is some sort of announcement today or tomorrow about how many clubs have come forward. The longer the delay from AFLGM is, obviously means that there weren't as many clubs taking up the offer as has been reported in some quarters.

Personally, I think we are talking about two or three clubs and they'll end up being directed towards the Murray for 2023 because of their locations with a view to finding suitable longer-term accommodation at the end of the 2023 season.

If there are six or more, make them a second division of either the Murray league or the KDL.

Last edited:
The deadline is just over half an hour away, so hopefully there is some sort of announcement today or tomorrow about how many clubs have come forward. The longer the delay from AFLGM is, obviously means that there weren't as many clubs taking up the offer as has been reported in some quarters.

Personally, I think we are talking about two or three clubs and they'll end up being directed towards the Murray for 2023 because of their locations with a view to finding suitable longer-term accommodation at the end of the 2023 season.

If there are six or more, make them a second division of either the Murray league or the KDL.

I think you will find there were 8 very keen presidents to break but a couple of clubs couldn’t get it over the line at commitee level , and some of the 6 left weren’t prepared to go at 6 , all clubs will remain in PDFNL. My source, very reliable ,says that the PDFNL have been very unprofessional and undermining , making threats and telling lies to scare clubs out of it, whatever works for them I guess. Whereas the AFL simply put the facts on the table about affiliation without slandering and or undermining the PDFNL, everyone will be back on the same merry go round in 12 months by the sound of it

The KDFNL could use the incoming clubs (if its 6 or more), and if they all choose the KDFNL, as a second tier for 2023 then amalgamate all clubs in 2024, or go a 2 tier competition if need be.
I agree, I'm not sure if many thought of the kdfl, but if even 2 more jump ship a couple could follow in the new year.

Who's set the timeline cut off date, I'd think it's extended to mid Jan to let committees and clubs chat to each other and other leagues, I'm not sure there should be a deadline for an important call this late in the year, surely it could extended to Aus day

I think you will find there were 8 very keen presidents to break but a couple of clubs couldn’t get it over the line at commitee level , and some of the 6 left weren’t prepared to go at 6 , all clubs will remain in PDFNL. My source, very reliable ,says that the PDFNL have been very unprofessional and undermining , making threats and telling lies to scare clubs out of it, whatever works for them I guess. Whereas the AFL simply put the facts on the table about affiliation without slandering and or undermining the PDFNL, everyone will be back on the same merry go round in 12 months by the sound of it

What a load of rubbish. . Firstly 12 president took someone’s call over a proposed meeting so 12 clubs are looking to leave . 2 turned up and it was the leagues fault . AFL hold a information session which all clubs rightfully turn up to see what they have to say and it’s sold as there is going to be a revolt at the AGM . Then AFLGm via same individual hold another information session where 8 clubs are represented and there is 8 clubs looking to leave . When that doesn’t occur it’s again the league fault , threats bs bs bs .

Could you you see some of the 6-8 clubs getting some representation onto the PDFNL board in the next 12 months, Train.
It appears to me that in recent times there have been a high turnover of board members & always vacant positions. Could be a good starting point for those clubs, or is it a case of they have had enough of or can no longer deal with the main man anymore.

Could you you see some of the 6-8 clubs getting some representation onto the PDFNL board in the next 12 months, Train.
It appears to me that in recent times there have been a high turnover of board members & always vacant positions. Could be a good starting point for those clubs, or is it a case of they have had enough of or can no longer deal with the main man anymore.
Funny how there was no complaints about anyone or anything until AFL sold that picture . Mmmm!! Unless of coarse you are someone who they’ve pulled into line for being a dill Mairjimmy 321

Remove this Banner Ad

Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back