Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth considering that the head a community football for the AFL who along with his brother is one of the 9 executives of the AFL , is (was in 2022) a coach at the Swans.
I’m sure it didn’t do the Swans any harm having that connection .
You truly are stuck in your ways if you think that would be the only reason swans get assistance post floods lol (rooms completely stuffed, oval unplayable until round one at best, netball courts unplayable and cricket nets have just been deemed safe to train on). Could the AFL support and grow grass roots footy better? Of course they could, but the continual to and fro from Picola league and AFL certainly has grown old over the years and made volunteering at club level extremely frustrating (not to mention the changing of systems for player registration). I think a fresh start is needed from both to move on and create a sustainable competition that isn't laughed at whenever mentioned in a public forum.

You truly are stuck in your ways if you think that would be the only reason swans get assistance post floods lol (rooms completely stuffed, oval unplayable until round one at best, netball courts unplayable and cricket nets have just been deemed safe to train on). Could the AFL support and grow grass roots footy better? Of course they could, but the continual to and fro from Picola league and AFL certainly has grown old over the years and made volunteering at club level extremely frustrating (not to mention the changing of systems for player registration). I think a fresh start is needed from both to move on and create a sustainable competition that isn't laughed at whenever mentioned in a public forum.
At no stage did I suggest it was the only reason the swans got assistance .
You view on what has occurred and hasn’t occurred is misled .
The Picola league have never wanted to or added layers to obtain further control and the league had no input into the changing of player registration . When it was clearly evident the wish of the majority of clubs was to return to gameday the league consulted with the AFL GM who encouraged the league to do so which subsequently occurred . Of coarse then there was the standard retribution form the AFL .
Why can’t the picola league continue as it successfully has and grow as it see’s fit, do you want the AFL reducing the leagues capacity seemingly for the benefit of nearby leagues ?
Are you oblivious to what is occurring elsewhere locally and around the state ? Do you want your members defamed publicly via speculation and / or receiving grossly inflated sanctions for non football events which no court would find them guilty of breaking the law .
The AFL has a record across the state of zoning in and defaming any league or individual who objects to their dictating ways.
If you aren’t aware of that you are extremely narrow minded and need to take the blinkers off .
If you feed the beast it only grows !

Sure the Picola league is a thorn in the side of the Murray , O&M and GVL leagues as it continues to be healthy .
But does the league have to play second fiddle and accept an imbalanced restriction via things like salary cap and points system and other rules the AFL wishes to pluck out for the benefit of those other leagues ?
Another body in the state has indicated there has been over 100 changes to the affiliation agreement they have just recently been provided . Why ? and weren’t all affiliation agreements distributed to leagues months ago as stated ?
We all know what would happen if a player came to a club outlining such demands within a contract as non negotiable .
Why is it that under the Jamie Macri’s reign the league seemingly had a flourishing relationship with the AFL and AFLGM , yet when others have assumed differing roles within AFL they haven’t ?
Will the local commission exist once the current contract expires ?
Are you convinced the local commission are actually freely overseeing local football , without micromanagement from AFL Vic or a specific AFL Vic employee ?
Why are affiliation agreements across the state being restricted to 1 year ?
I don’t think you have to be a rocket scientists to work out the future intent .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just heard they are heading to Murray league

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have never ‘ran’ a footy club but is this a good idea from a club perspective? Recruiting would already be done with the new players assuming they would be in the Picola league. Can they back out of contracts because of this?
From a footy point of view the seniors won 4 games, 2’s were ok and the 3rds middle of the run.
They also need to remember that another club in reasonably close proximity is back in the senior competition and could pick off any senior players not wanting the step up.

I have never ‘ran’ a footy club but is this a good idea from a club perspective? Recruiting would already be done with the new players assuming they would be in the Picola league. Can they back out of contracts because of this?
From a footy point of view the seniors won 4 games, 2’s were ok and the 3rds middle of the run.
They also need to remember that another club in reasonably close proximity is back in the senior competition and could pick off any senior players not wanting the step up.

I agree, I don’t know the inner details of how clubs are handling the ‘conflicts’ in the Picola league but all clubs there are clearly district clubs, and belong in a district league. The juniors will be the ones that suffer, tough times ahead I think

Are they still under the dubious suspension placed on them?
Has anyone from the league clearly spelled out why and how long the suspension was for?
It's only been something like four months since it first happened.
All clubs within the league were informed the suspension was lifted last Thursday.
It’s interesting that you state the league hasn’t devolved details yet have labelled as ‘ dubious ‘ .

The way we are headed?
Murray League 2024:

DIV1:
Cobram
Mulwala
Tongala
Moama
Congupna
Deni
Nathalia
Numurkah
Barooga

DIV2:
Finley
Echuca
Rumba
Strathy
Waaia
Tungamah
Katty
Berrigan
Katandra

Div3
Katunga
Jerilderie
Mathoura
Picola
Yarraoweyah
Tocumwal
Rennie
Deni
Blighty
Now this page will get interesting...

The way we are headed?
Murray League 2024:

DIV1:
Cobram
Mulwala
Tongala
Moama
Congupna
Deni
Nathalia
Numurkah
Barooga

DIV2:
Finley
Echuca
Rumba
Strathy
Waaia
Tungamah
Katty
Berrigan
Katandra

Div3
Katunga
Jerilderie
Mathoura
Picola
Yarraoweyah
Tocumwal
Rennie
Deni
Blighty

Interesting, love to see Katunga response to div 3 !!!

Interesting, love to see Katunga response to div 3 !!!

I wouldn't take too much notice of the specifics of the split, did it in about 2 mins. I'm sure if something like this were to happen considerable time and consultation would be spent getting it right.

For interest sake how would you split up the 27 clubs steam train?

I wouldn't take too much notice of the specifics of the split, did it in about 2 mins. I'm sure if something like this were to happen considerable time and consultation would be spent getting it right.

For interest sake how would you split up the 27 clubs steam train?
Not a bad effort for 2 mins, swap Berrigan & Katanga everyones happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back