Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't take too much notice of the specifics of the split, did it in about 2 mins. I'm sure if something like this were to happen considerable time and consultation would be spent getting it right.

For interest sake how would you split up the 27 clubs steam train?

Reckon ya pretty close, probably swap Berrigan with Katunga.
I’d look more at current Picola clubs staying together and Murray league staying same, split Picola again but more a NSW/ VIC split
VIC

Tunga
Katty
Katandra
Katunga
Waaia
Strathy
Picola
Yarraweyah

NSW

Rennie
Berrigan
Jerilderie
Blighty
Deni
Mathoura
Toc
And let Hay in

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon ya pretty close, probably swap Berrigan with Katunga.
I’d look more at current Picola clubs staying together and Murray league staying same, split Picola again but more a NSW/ VIC split
VIC

Tunga
Katty
Katandra
Katunga
Waaia
Strathy
Picola
Yarraweyah

NSW

Rennie
Berrigan
Jerilderie
Blighty
Deni
Mathoura
Toc
And let Hay in

I reckon that would take a lot of the uncompetitive games away also, Yarraweyah would struggle though

I reckon that would take a lot of the uncompetitive games away also, Yarraweyah would struggle though

i am hearing Toc we’re very unhappy after being told their new assistant coach was not going to be aloud to register in the PDFL after a Facebook post
Not sure if this is true or not
Also a set of conditions that needed to be followed that the club could not agree to

Just thinking if Tocumwal gets green light to go back to murray league could we see a scenario of where some of other clubs who wanted to stay affiliated in a new comp band together in a hastily convened second division of Murray league? six could be magic number, if push came to shove one of current clubs not going to set the world on fire, read the play and help make up numbers by dropping down without actually leaving the league. interesting days are ahead.

Just thinking if Tocumwal gets green light to go back to murray league could we see a scenario of where some of other clubs who wanted to stay affiliated in a new comp band together in a hastily convened second division of Murray league? six could be magic number, if push came to shove one of current clubs not going to set the world on fire, read the play and help make up numbers by dropping down without actually leaving the league. interesting days are ahead.
You'd think hay would be keen to join as well

Well done to Toc more of this will happen the Murray league is so well run good luck I’m sure more will follow
How is it? Their seniors didn't get close to finals last year in the picola league? They are going to go winless in the Murray league, like they did in 87, except they had a couple of greats at the club to help back then, no player is near as good as their best were back then

How is it? Their seniors didn't get close to finals last year in the picola league? They are going to go winless in the Murray league, like they did in 87, except they had a couple of greats at the club to help back then, no player is near as good as their best were back then
I don’t think its about that mate I think it’s more about the rabble they are leaving the unaffiliated league led by dictators the Murray League will make them welcome and I’m sure in time Toc won’t be on there own I think the Murray League will break into two

i am hearing Toc we’re very unhappy after being told their new assistant coach was not going to be aloud to register in the PDFL after a Facebook post
Not sure if this is true or not
Also a set of conditions that needed to be followed that the club could not agree to
Wouldn’t it be reasonable that Toc agree to any conditions for the suspension to be lifted ? It appears as soon as the suspension was lifted someone took to social media to ensure there was no calm .

Wouldn’t it be reasonable that Toc agree to any conditions for the suspension to be lifted ? It appears as soon as the suspension was lifted someone took to social media to ensure there was no calm .
Not sure it's reasonable for them to agree to any conditions.... maybe agree to reasonable conditions though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it's reasonable for them to agree to any conditions.... maybe agree to reasonable conditions though.
Baldy worded fair clip .I’ll rephrase .

Wouldn’t it be reasonable to assume that Toc agreed to any conditions that were a pre requisite of the suspension being lifted , prior to it being lifted .

The way we are headed?
Murray League 2024:

DIV1:
Cobram
Mulwala
Tongala
Moama
Congupna
Deni
Nathalia
Numurkah
Barooga

DIV2:
Finley
Echuca
Rumba
Strathy
Waaia
Tungamah
Katty
Berrigan
Katandra

Div3
Katunga
Jerilderie
Mathoura
Picola
Yarraoweyah
Tocumwal
Rennie
Deni
Blighty

Could Corowa-Rutherglen pop up in here somewhere if they make a comeback in 2024

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You truly are stuck in your ways if you think that would be the only reason swans get assistance post floods lol (rooms completely stuffed, oval unplayable until round one at best, netball courts unplayable and cricket nets have just been deemed safe to train on). Could the AFL support and grow grass roots footy better? Of course they could, but the continual to and fro from Picola league and AFL certainly has grown old over the years and made volunteering at club level extremely frustrating (not to mention the changing of systems for player registration). I think a fresh start is needed from both to move on and create a sustainable competition that isn't laughed at whenever mentioned in a public forum.
Bump.... imagine the mindset of VOLUNTEERS at clubs at the moment. Normal people trying to make the best choices for their clubs and members. Pressure from AFL to affiliate or pathways are taken away for representative football for juniors or stay in picola league because its financially better. For Toc to leave to play in a stronger league in the middle of a successful rebuild is huge decision and puts them in a lose lose situation. From a long term player and supporter of the PDFL, this rubbish needs to stop. Uncertainty is one of the key pillars in clubs ability to run successfully and at the moment nothing is certain. This narrative weeks of from seasons starting needs to stop.

Bump.... imagine the mindset of VOLUNTEERS at clubs at the moment. Normal people trying to make the best choices for their clubs and members. Pressure from AFL to affiliate or pathways are taken away for representative football for juniors or stay in picola league because it’s financially better. For Toc to leave to play in a stronger league in the middle of a successful rebuild is huge decision and puts them in a lose lose situation. From a long term player and supporter of the PDFL, this rubbish needs to stop. Uncertainty is one of the key pillars in clubs ability to run successfully and at the moment nothing is certain. This narrative weeks off from seasons starting needs to stop.
And some have continually tried to cause as much disruption as possible.

And by ‘some’ you mean the dictator in charge of this once proud league
Yea , they’ve been holding meetings, contacting the media , mis-representing clubs . If only the league had a vote at the league AGM and just followed what clubs voted , true dictatorship !

Seriously what have they done personally or the league done, which you feel is dictatorship ?

Looking even recently didn’t the leagues clubs vote on things like the points system , affiliation ?

MFL people / clubs trying to discredit the PDFNL and disrupt PDFNL clubs ability to compete for players how new .

Last edited:
What a s**t show, we've got the former operations manager and current operations manager of the league in a tit for tat, this will impact clubs, leagues in country footy, because two blokes can't get along, surely a counselling session is easier than stuffing up a couple of leagues
That’s an assumption Trent that isn’t fact . I can assure you there has been no communication between the two , aside from one attempting to contact the other to discuss any issues .
If there is a wish for personal retribution, it’s one sided.

Last edited:
Really interesting this, possibly most important point made is effect on clubs and volunteers who have already set up a season and things are changing again including clubs having already paid for members cards and the like. . There are many clubs that will be happy to see Toc move on have been causing instability for a long time, have had more Presidents than Italy, and have been a poor club to deal with because they ask for something then burn that club by doing something else. They have had strong under 14 and netball since being in the PDFL but i fear for the club if their footy goes 0/64 this year. And Rowe, Drew, Duane, MCB, McCabe and others didn't sign on to play MFL. Maybe this will galvanise Toc and they will find more helpers. Interesting too that AFL Media/Murdoch press have this before anyone else! BTW What does affiliation give you, insurance is the same or better, Game Day is better than Play HQ (look at the current cricket schemozzle), Toc can't get any AFL Vic grants because they are a NSW clubs. And what funding will the Murray league receive to ensure they accept Toc. We forget that the PDFNL made $80k last year, have done a brilliant job in allowing all clubs to host a grand final and are actively looking to make changes to points systems which everybody whinges about but nobody does anything about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back