Remove this Banner Ad

Pies time is NOW

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 18, 2010
Mel harbour
AFL Club
Collingwood
Big news is the match committee so worried by Simon Fisher's 12 rebounds and the fact we dominated On Saturday, Collingwood had 62 inside 50s to St Kilda's 35. This is ordinarily a match-winning imbalance.

James Gwilt had eight rebound 50s and Brendon Goddard had six. So Collingwood got the ball forward, and either gave it to St Kilda or missed the shot at goal.

Collingwood's left field idea being floated is to play Presti as a defensive forward on Simon Fisher to bring the ball to the round and not allow the Saints such easy clearances.

It is left field but can it work?

Re: Collingwood will play Simon Prestigiacomo to tag Simon Fisher this week.

Big news is the match committee so worried by Simon Fisher's 12 rebounds and the fact we dominated On Saturday, Collingwood had 62 inside 50s to St Kilda's 35. This is ordinarily a match-winning imbalance.

James Gwilt had eight rebound 50s and Brendon Goddard had six. So Collingwood got the ball forward, and either gave it to St Kilda or missed the shot at goal.

Collingwood's left field idea being floated is to play Presti as a defensive forward on Simon Fisher to bring the ball to the round and not allow the Saints such easy clearances.

It is left field but can it work?

That was the only upside I saw in playing Brown Reid and Presti that Presti could possibly be brought in as a forward judging by his quarter against the lions last year.

Still leaves us very top heavy against a side that Lyon has added run to.

You could use him on Simon Gilbert too :D

• Banned

Agreed. Brining Presti in gives us a huge amount of versatility.

And at the end of the day, he is still our best defender.

Goddard would be an option for Presti too.

But first off we must stop Simon Fisher..

He kills us - game after game after game.

Good idea, what better time to trial our best fullback as a defensive forward than a Grand Final.

Agreed. Brining Presti in gives us a huge amount of versatility.

And at the end of the day, he is still our best defender.

Goddard would be an option for Presti too.

But first off we must stop Simon Fisher..

He kills us - game after game after game.

Then we gotta work out how to stop the other guy they've got back

there who's not bad either, and that's Sam Fisher ;)

Agree though, we do need to curb him..either Caff or Goldy if he comes in.
Presti?? Bit too left field for me..

Good idea, what better time to trial our best fullback as a defensive forward than a Grand Final.

Obvious-troll-is-obvious.jpg

Defensive stop is what we need.

Remember Paul Weston going forward for Essendon, Neale Daniher etc.

We kicked 2 goals after half time and had 62 inside 50s.

It is time to try something different to keep the ball inside our 50.

cause sure as eggs are eggs, it got out too quickly and too easy on Saturday.

We pride ourselves on keeping the ball inside our 50.

We need to rethink our plan of attack.

cause if we do the same thing again, the same thing will happen again.

Fisher with 40 possessions.

When pretending to be in the know it helps to actually have the name of the players correct.

Presti is a good chance to play and we may just use one of our defenders as a defensive foward but it won't be Presti.

The thing about playing too many "defensive" fowards is you really help a team like St Kilda clog your fowardline. Beams was well, well, well below par and really needs to lift and make someone accountable, Gwilt was on Dawes for most of the match. Maccaffer can only really match up on one defender. Not carrying a Davis in the fowardline will probably help. The best way to make stop a good rebounding defender is to hurt them the other way. Heath Shaw and the way teams match up on him is the best example of it.

You are really over thinking it we don't need to try and reinvent the wheel on grand final day. We managed a draw with none of Didak, Pendles, Swan or Cloke being in the top 5 players on the ground and Hayes and Goddard being the best two on the ground, if you had told me that was possible a week ago I wouldn't have believed it. When need a lift from those guys and guys like Beams etc. That will make the movement into the fowardline better making it harder for Fisher, Gilbert et al to pick it off, in turn forcing them to be more accountable. On top of that we can't afford to play Leon. Beams and Dawes really need to lift too.

When pretending to be in the know it helps to actually have the name of the players correct.

Presti is a good chance to play and we may just use one of our defenders as a defensive foward but it won't be Presti.

When need a lift from those guys and guys like Beams etc. That will make the movement into the fowardline better making it harder for Fisher, Gilbert et al to pick it off, in turn forcing them to be more accountable. On top of that we can't afford to play Leon. Beams and Dawes really need to lift too.

I am not pretenting to be in the know. I am just saying all avenues are being discussed.

Saying players need to lift is one thing but what if they don't.

We need a plan B and even C and that is what is being discussed.

Yes, Presti might stay back and Ben Ried moved forward or Goldsack moved forward.

But horses for courses.

We can't just expect it to happen.

We have to make some sort of change to accomodate St Kilda.

62 inside 50s to 35 speaks volumes.

It is not about clogging our forward line. it is about bringing the ball to the ground and then winning contested possession.

in the first Grand final, we didn't even bring it to ground.

and St Kilda started to run forward of the ball and thus outnumber us because they had such confidence that Fisher and Gwilt would win the ball and clear it.

That is what we need to stop.

Big news!

My sources tell me that Presti is in contention for a spot the week, make of that what you will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not pretenting to be in the know. I am just saying all avenues are being discussed.

You wouldn't know if all avenues were been discussed of if the match committee were about Fisher unless you were in the know... Mick has shown he doesn't like straying from our gameplan or structures, I wouldn't expect either Reid or Presti forward.

I'm more worried about how we're going to cover Bertrand Goddard and Neville Riewoldt.

Fisher is the key.

Goddard can't push forward if he is not confident that Fisher is going to win the ball.

That is why Goddard stayed back in the first half.

But as soon as he felt confident that Fisher and Gwilt would sweep everything up in the backline, Goddard pushed forward and played the ruck-rover and extra forward role.

Stop Fisher and Goddard has to play further back hence limting his effectiveness with the pill in hand.

The answer is simple

Bring Goldsack in and play him in defence then play Maxwell as a forward

Left field idea I know, but I can assure you the match committee are discussing it as we speak - Pies Time had it almost right but I can assure you they are going one step further:

Collingwood will line up with all of our defenders as defensive forwards.

Presti -> Fisher
Goldsack -> Goddard
Reid -> Gilbert
Harry -> Gwilt
Shaw -> Blake
Johnson -> Baker
Toovey ->

We're going to bring in about 5 extra defenders to help at the other end of the ground.

Do you think we could afford to squeeze Dawes in at fullback Joxstrap?

We need to stop Fisher?

Any other suggestions other than ridicule.

or do you want to watch him get another 40 possessions roaming the collingwood forward line by himself on saturday?

Saying players need to lift is one thing but what if they don't.

We need a plan B and even C and that is what is being discussed.

Yes, Presti might stay back and Ben Ried moved forward or Goldsack moved forward.

But horses for courses.

We can't just expect it to happen.

We have to make some sort of change to accomodate St Kilda.

62 inside 50s to 35 speaks volumes.

It is not about clogging our forward line. it is about bringing the ball to the ground and then winning contested possession.

in the first Grand final, we didn't even bring it to ground.

and St Kilda started to run forward of the ball and thus outnumber us because they had such confidence that Fisher and Gwilt would win the ball and clear it.

That is what we need to stop.

By saying you KNOW that the match comittee are considering this you are pretending to have inside info, you then continue to get the name of the key player we are trying to "shut down" wrong.

If the players don't lift we won't and don't deserve to win, Presti tagging Fisher won't change that. FWIW Fisher is far to quick and mobile for Presti it's harder to tag a guy who is quicker and more mobile then you when he is playing on the HBF then it is when they are plaing I50.

You say it's about plan B and C but I think for a large part of the game we where using our plan B, the long high hit and hope entries into the 50 have certainly not been our "A" game and we have only seen this when we have had our foward 50 clogged and not moved the ball well. So the key is not to have a 3rd or 4th plan that plays into the oppositions hand even more but to get the 1st plan right. We won't win if we are playing their game style because they are more well drilled and have a side specific to it.

Horses for courses would require a foward playing foward. As I have mentioned when guys like Dunn and Monfries have shut Shaw down it hasn't been buy gloving him, it's been by using Shaw's willingness to zone off against him, getting dangerous being involved and kicking a couple of goals and forcing Shaw to man them up. It's what Macaffer has been doing so well late in the year.

St Kilda clog your foward line that's a given, when you start putting guys there to stop their defenders you take away even more space and make it harder for your fowards. We shouldn't need a defender to defend their defenders if we do then we are not playing well enough to win. Dawes has done this in the past, his willingness to swallow his pride and go the punch earned him much respect from me, he needs to do that again.

Raw data is shallow and doesn't show you much. We played into the hands of St Kilda, we put it up there with long high balls and they took advantage of it, that is not our A game and it is very suited to theirs. We need to be better with our inside 50 entries.

We need to stop Fisher?

Any other suggestions other than ridicule.

or do you want to watch him get another 40 possessions roaming the collingwood forward line by himself on saturday?

If you read the post below the key is not to defend him but to be better at what we do. Fisher won't have the freedom of roaming around if his direct opponent is getting the ball and hurting the other way, he certainly won't be able to mop up ill directed long bombs, if we do not give him ill directed long bombs to mop up.

If you read the post below the key is not to defend him but to be better at what we do. Fisher won't have the freedom of roaming around if his direct opponent is getting the ball and hurting the other way, he certainly won't be able to mop up ill directed long bombs, if we do not give him ill directed long bombs to mop up.

Fisher didn't have a direct opponent.

We played Maxwell floating and they played Fisher flaoting. Untill Gilbert went to Maxwell.

Well I guess I will have to be happy with watching Fisher get numerous possessions like he did last week, like he did in round 3, like he did last year etc, etc, etc.

Because the response is Fisher is too big and strong to stop influencing the game.

Humbug.

mate, have you watched the last few games against St Kilda - we always direct long bombs to Fisher...

always, always, always...

we aren't going to change that so we need to cut him off with an opponent.

By saying you KNOW that the match comittee are considering this you are pretending to have inside info, you then continue to get the name of the key player we are trying to "shut down" wrong.

Mate these are Scott Watters words..

Watters said the form of Nathan Brown and Ben Reid was ''terrific'' but that did not preclude Simon Prestigiacomo from a return.

''It is really a great problem for us to have,'' he said. ''Presti looks like he will be very close, as he has been for the past couple of weeks, so to potentially have another player that has done some good jobs against key players before, is a good problem.

''When we sit at selection, you do have to weigh up what a fresh player will bring to the table, weigh up what was a very taxing hitout. There is no doubt that will be considered. We will weigh that up against, I guess, how players are feeling, physically, emotionally, whether a young player might need a break. All those things get weighed up."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back