Pies time is now superthread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Collingwood will play Simon Prestigiacomo to tag Simon Fisher this week.

Brown did a great job but could have been better or alternatively used a chop out, Riewoldt got important when the game got impotant and a large part of that would have been that he had blown Brown up.

It appears as though you have drawn a very long bow.

Goldsack plays one of Shaw/Tooveys positions, Tooves/Shaw goes up forward to play on Fisher? I'd prefer Benny J up forward but he done quite a good job on Milney so yeah I don't know I'd hate to be a coach and trying to figure these things out lol.

Crazy thought but how about we don't bomb it straight down Fisher's throat all day long?

not a crazy thought at all.

But we have done it for the last 3 years...

Every time we play St Kilda...

Fisher is near BOG.

Crazy thought but how about we don't bomb it straight down Fisher's throat all day long?

I agree. We were too predictable with our forward entries and Fisher had a field day.

Lower our vision, stop "bombing" it in and we may be able to stop Fisher's influence.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-have-a-plan-dont-kick-ball-to-fisher-20100927-15u7f.html

Pies have a plan - don't kick it to Fisher.

The St Kilda defender was a constant menace last Saturday,
Three coaches filed one after another into their press conferences at Collingwood yesterday. Each was asked what they would do differently this Saturday.
Each offered essentially the same flippant yet pertinent response. It was not to keep the ball away from Norm Smith medallist Lenny Hayes. Presumably, the chances of succeeding at that were as good as keeping Dane Swan away from the tattooist.
Nor did the coaches reply that they would sit on Brendon Goddard.

All three coaches offered the same pithy reply: ''Don't kick the ball to Sam Fisher.''
It is a simple idea but a complex answer. Last Saturday, Collingwood had 62 inside-50s to St Kilda's 35. This is ordinarily a match-winning imbalance.
The reason it wasn't was that Fisher had 12 rebound 50s (the stat for repelling the ball out of defence) and eight marks. James Gwilt had eight rebound 50s, and Goddard had six. So Collingwood got the ball forward, and either gave it to St Kilda or missed their shot at goal.
For Mark Neeld, the midfield coach, the most important change is not only to get better at winning the ball when it is in dispute, but to then give it to the right person when his charges take it up the ground.
When Nathan Buckley, the forward coach, said, ''Don't kick it to Fisher,'' he was also speaking of how he could get his forwards to change their structure to make sure Fisher is not given the freedom to create the loose man to intercept play.
''Fisher has been doing that for quite a while so St Kilda and Sam himself need to get some credit for the way they have structured up and he has been able to do that,'' Buckley said. ''We weren't effective going inside our forward half. Obviously, Sam Fisher was influential in that part of the field. St Kilda have got a very good defensive unit; they play a very solid game defensively right across the field. So there is elements of our forward play and our offence that we need to tinker with this week to make sure that we are converting at a better rate.''
Kicking more goals than points is obviously another handy start. Collingwood's game is based on the idea of fast, constant ball movement and peppering the goal. That heavy forward press means they are prepared for inaccurate shots, because they remain confident that the kick-in will just put the ball back in an area where they will force it back into their own hands.
The obvious answer to improve conversion is to be more deliberate in addressing goal. ''It's a Catch-22 - being more deliberate makes you slower,'' Buckley said. ''The slower you are, the more effective the defence will be because you give them time to set up. It's a balance for us, and something we need to look at.''
To that end, Travis Cloke is critical. Naturally kicking truly from set shots is the requirement of any key forward, and a change that would make a huge difference to the game. As pertinent, though, is his need to leverage his natural marking advantage over his St Kilda opponents.
On paper, Cloke, Chris Dawes and Leigh Brown should be better in the air when isolated one-out with any of Zac Dawson, Jason Blake and Gwilt. St Kilda's advantage last weekend was that when these were the match-ups, Sam Gilbert and Fisher were able to shuffle their match-ups to leave one free, allowing a third man to join a marking contest.
Thus Collingwood's other forwards - Dayne Beams, Leon Davis, Brent Macaffer in a defensive role, and Jaryd Blair - need to be smarter in keeping all St Kilda defenders honest to a single opponent.
Cloke is phenomenally strong and one of the elite contested marks of the AFL, but he did not exploit this superior asset significantly enough on Saturday.
Collingwood's attack, like St Kilda's, is launched from a platform at the other end of the ground. So while the midfield will be proud of leaking the ball into St Kilda's forward zone just 35 times, and the defence will be chuffed at keeping Nick Riewoldt to just two goals and St Kilda overall to just 10 goals for the match, Collingwood need to improve their run and creativity from behind the ball.
Harry O'Brien, the All-Australian defender, was adequate for the day but looked less assured than normal, and was allowed little of his trademark gallop down the field.
''Harry is a real barometer for us, just from a running capacity, and he generates so much drive. There is an opportunity for him this week to lift that to another level,'' assistant coach Scott Watters said.
It wasn't only O'Brien's run that was missing. This was a game played slowly, and thus on St Kilda's terms. Collingwood look at their best when the game is fast, the ball zinging and risks demanded. Oh, and when they are not kicking it to Sam Fisher.

But can they execute the plan?

Defensive stop is what we need.

Remember Paul Weston going forward for Essendon, Neale Daniher etc.

We kicked 2 goals after half time and had 62 inside 50s.

It is time to try something different to keep the ball inside our 50.

cause sure as eggs are eggs, it got out too quickly and too easy on Saturday.

We pride ourselves on keeping the ball inside our 50.

We need to rethink our plan of attack.

cause if we do the same thing again, the same thing will happen again.

Fisher with 40 possessions.

Remember Jason Cloke going forward in 2003 for the Grand Final? That worked a treat. And he was more mobile than Presti.

For mine, the best match up is to bring in Gold sack to stick to him. Gold sack has a great leap, good pace and attacks the ball hard. He is also a decent shot at goal. IF we have reid, NB and presti in the team, id say give reid a shot at it too if things are not looking good. One of the things i would say too, is to ensure when we have clean breaks, to use Fisher's man where possible. Fisher will run off, but if we can get a few long kicks to his man, which result in goals, it will put him off his usual game.

Remember Jason Cloke going forward in 2003 for the Grand Final? That worked a treat. And he was more mobile than Presti.

Jason Cloke played CHF in an attacking lead up role. that had worked 2 weeks earlier when we beat Brisbane in the Qualifying final.

Gotta shut down Linton Hayes, he wonned all the hard balls and wasn't afraid of anything

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

please people we don't need to overreact and go defensive that plays straight into the Saints game plan...tag Goddard tag Fisher tag Hayes etc soon you'll have Montagna running crazy.

FACT - we lead most of the game
FACT - we bombed the ball unintelligently into the forward line where Fisher could rebound at will
FACT - we are the best team in the AFL this year
FACT - the Saints DID NOT beat us
FACT - we have more leg speed than the Saints
FACT - we were behind with 5 minutes to go and fought back
FACT - the back six defended brilliantly the last 3 minutes

The coaches will not be focusing on shutting a team down who shouldnt beat us
They will get our structures right - maintain the discipline - and not fall into the defensive one on one game that plays into St Kilda's hands.

My theory is we dropped off a little in the second half knowing we were totally outplaying them...and they threw caution to the wind and raised their intensity and clawed their way back.

There is a lot of talk on how to beat the Saints...we already have the game plan...

GO Pies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Pies need to break Fishers hold on the game.

Simon Fisher stands between Collingwood and premiership glory.

We dont need to change much just bring in The Sac for Leon and use him to tag Fisher thats it. Also get Tooves to tag Goddard. We dont need to change anything else.

not a crazy thought at all.

But we have done it for the last 3 years...

Every time we play St Kilda...

Fisher is near BOG.
do you ever watch blokes like fisher, maxwell and lake live? or are you just going by TV? cos you would know that they aren't there when the ball is kicked, they work their asses off to get to the position to take marks.

wait why am i even replying to this crap?

As good an idea as playing Jason Cloke at CHF in a GF.

do you ever watch blokes like fisher, maxwell and lake live? or are you just going by TV? cos you would know that they aren't there when the ball is kicked, they work their asses off to get to the position to take marks.

wait why am i even replying to this crap?

I have been to every Collingwood game for 10 years mate.

I understand they work.

That is why you need someone to play on them who works harder.

Even our coaching staff admitted it.

I understand they work.

I don't get how your mind works. They say Brown was good but Presti is still a consideration and you jump to the conclusion that Presti will be in to use a defensive foward on Fisher.

They say we need to stop kicking it to Fisher and that means they have admitted he needs a tagger.

I would have thought it was pretty simple how bout we don't aimlessly kick long so Fisher can intercept it. Round 3 at the dome Gilbert took 20 odd marks in our foward 50 if we tag Fisher and enter the foward 50 the way we did on Saturday Gilbert, or Gram or Gwilt will step up and fill the role.

I don't get how your mind works. They say Brown was good but Presti is still a consideration and you jump to the conclusion that Presti will be in to use a defensive foward on Fisher.

They say we need to stop kicking it to Fisher and that means they have admitted he needs a tagger.

I would have thought it was pretty simple how bout we don't aimlessly kick long so Fisher can intercept it. Round 3 at the dome Gilbert took 20 odd marks in our foward 50 if we tag Fisher and enter the foward 50 the way we did on Saturday Gilbert, or Gram or Gwilt will step up and fill the role.

Great mate. We are in agreement. Now why haven't we done this in the last 6 games where most of our inside 50s are dominated by Fisher as if we are kicking the ball to him in some sort of passing drill.

Agreed. Seriously, we are going to play our fullback as a tagging forward? Beggars belief.

I understand they work.

if you have been to EVERY GAME for the last 10 years you would have notice that when we play st kilda its SAM Fisher not SIMON Fisher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2ndly if presti plays he plays down back........and defently wont be used as a tagger!!!!!!!!! That is the biggest joke of a move since playing Jason Cloke at chf in the 2003 grandfinal.....Glad you arnt coaching us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies time is now superthread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back