VFL Game Day Pies v Bendigo at Vic park 1pm Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we'll see Kav this year. Essendon pretty keen to keep him at Bendigo and let him develop, more so the hammies than anything..

Although, I could see Kav playing as sub next week, highly doubt it, but it could happen..

Justin 'Harry' Maddern is number 1 for Bendigo. He is a jet in the Bendigo Football league.

Man, these are exciting reviews for the club! Depth, depth and more depth.
I'd forgotten about Kav completely, won't that be horrible having even more class on our list? ;)

Few thoughts

I didnt rate Pears game that highly. Tarrant barely got out of a jog, not sure whats still wrong with him but a long way from AFL level. Did like that he showed some agression though.

Kav, first time ive seen him. Gun.

Colyer used his pace well. Good game.

Browne first half game of the year i think. No way you would guessed it. Incredible side step.

Hunter reminds me of an Irishman. Skills not bad and gives everything but just not the most fluent of movers.

Long is just silk. Never fumbled the ball once and great footskills.

So got home after some train delays and a dinner on the run last year.

Player reports.

Marc Baguley (Back Pocket): Baggers was typicla Baggers, did most things right and hit targets consistently all day. Probably had 15 - 20 touches for the day and hit targets with all of them. What I do like is how much he makes his opponent earn every kick.

Tayte Pears (Full Back): Pears long awaited return was solid if not what unspectacular. Looked to cop a raw end of the deal by the umps with several free kicks against. As mentioned earlier, he did try and take mark of the day and looked to be trying to outmuscle his opponent rather than out position them.

Henry Slattery (Onball): Started back but soon moved into a more onball position which suits him at VFL level. Was named our best player today, was better than good, but not best on :confused:

Hal Hunter (Half Back): The beard was back in again. Played 3/4 today after sitting out the first and really showed a couple of things. Took a really, really strong grab across halfback and then used it well. Awkward looking kicking style, almost stab like, but it gets the job done well.

Elliot Kavanagh (Wing/Onball): Wow, what a game from the young man. bog in my book, kicked 3 and probably had 20+ possessions and made most of them count. his poise and decision making a real standout today. The give and get is still his go, but he was putting his body on the line a lot more today and really getting dirty in the trenches. Started on the wing and kicked our best goal of the afternoon. Started of really well on the outer wing and then was given a go in the middle and never looked back. Cramped late in the game and really gave everyone a fright, but boy he was good, definitely get excited people.

Kyle Reimers (Forward/Midfield): Started off slowly, possession wise, but he just looked 'on'. Started off with a couple of super smothers, and laying a nice tackle early, got going in the second quarter and really turned the corner in the third quarter. Probably ended with 20+ possessions and was a solid contributor across the four quarters.

Jackson Merret (Wing): A rather unobtrusive game from Jackson, took the game on a couple of times but not one to standout. Couple of nice bits of play right in front of the grand stand side.

Travis Colyer (Onball): A really good game from Travis. Took the game on a couple of times including a ripper 2 bounce effort and deliver inside 50. Probably ended with 18 - 22 touches and made most of them count but again, not one that really 'stood out'.

Scott Gumbleton (Centre Half Forward/Wing): He does exist!! Only played a half but the main thing is he got through unscathed. Took a really strong contested mark and duly kicked the goal from a tight(ish) angle in the first. Ended up playing on a wing at one stage which isn't the best thing for a bloke coming so far back. Main thing is, he is alive and got through.

Ariel Steinberg (CHB/HBF): Not sure where everything has gone wrong with young Ariel. Looked like a young lost puppy in defence. He often out positioned his opponent but dropped 4 - 5 chest marks. Turned the ball over and struggled in general play.

Mark McVeigh (Onball): He was unfashionable but effective. Played a variety of positions but mainly played that bullocking on ball role and did ok.

Lauchlan Dalgleish (Wing): WoW, another who really showed something today. We finally got to see some of his trademark pace and lovely left foot in one passage of play with a streaming 2 bounce effort on the far wing and a piercing 45m pass to a Bendigo player in the second quarter. Really showed a number of promising things today, he wasnt afraid to get his hands dirty in the trenches today, for someone so light, I really like that from the young fella.

Anthony Long (half back): Longy probably played his first ever full game for the Essendon Football Club, even on limited game time. Showed his class on a number of times with well weighted kicks, precision passes and a couple of nice spoils and marks.

Alex Browne (Sub?): Only played the second half after returning from injury this pre season. Came on in the third and really brought us to life with some real pace and life, he probably picked up 8 - 10 possessions in just over a quarter.

Well there it is ladies & gentlemen, a really, really good win today by Bendigo, special mention goes out to the young kid Nick Mee from the Pioneers who showed some real dash for a youngster.
Ben Duscher was another who was really good today also, and Trent Shinners returning to a little bit of form after a slow start to the year.

Thanks for the write up HFF07, great read mate:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Gumby's movement was excellent right throughout that first half.

Reimers as a midfielder was excellent.

Agree Pazza on Gumby. He and Alex Browne were silky smooth.
Browne's evasive skills and side steps are brilliant, set up a couple of goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lee will be back next game. Ross a pretty good chance as well.

Spoke to Lee during the day and he said he was struggling with an achilles injury, he will be back next week.
Ross is the big query, not sure when he will be back. Essendon/Bendigo werent saying much.

My thoughts:
Mark Baguley- steady, uses the ball well by foot.

Alex Browne - looked good in the second half.

Travis Colyer - took a while to get going but certainly turned the game when he started to run and carry.

Lachlan Dalgleish - bobbed up with a few nice efforts but not a huge effect on the game.

Gumby - looked ok in his half of footy. Took a few marks and kicked a goal. Worked mainly up the ground between the wing and half forward.

Hal Hunter- did not come on until the second quarter and took a long while to get a possession but improved as the game went on. Did some good blocking work around the stopages.

Kavanagh - good, worked hard in close and played well over the 4 quarters.
Clearance work was good.

Long - slow start but produced a few special moments with his clean ball handling. Promising game.

McVeigh - finds the ball and goes hard, one of our best but one thing i will say is he goes to ground too easy a lot of the time.

Merrett - similar to Long in he did a few good things.

Pears - yes he looked a class above finding the and using it but he also had some real defensive howlers. Got caught out of position way too easily at times and was easily out marked a few others. Gave away a couple of stupid free kicks as well.
He found plenty of the ball but i was totally impressed.

Reimers - started on fire and then was solid for the rest of the day playing midfield. Kept working hard and doing the team things and their where very few "me" moments. Good game.

Slattery - also good all day playing midfield.

Steinberg - looked much better in defense this week and his possession rate grew along with his confidence. Good game despite being out marked by Hahn a couple of times early.

Pears - yes he looked a class above finding the and using it but he also had some real defensive howlers. Got caught out of position way too easily at times and was easily out marked a few others. Gave away a couple of stupid free kicks as well.
He found plenty of the ball but i was totally impressed.

Unimpressed? sorry just trying to gauge whether the good outweighed the bad.

Unimpressed? sorry just trying to gauge whether the good outweighed the bad.

Thought that the poor defense outweighed the good ball winning efforts. He will more than likely be in the side this week though as they will rest Fletcher.

no mention of Pears one way or the other, but sounds good for essendon on bendigo's website. hopefully at least one of our 1st or 2nd year players becomes the mid that we are looking for:

http://www.bendigofc.com.au/news/43/22/Gold-Charge-to-win-as-Kavalry-arrives

I found the writers attitude towards EFC quite interesting. Am I reading too much into it?

"So it proved again, as Gold - despite attempting to manage the return of several Essendon players on limited game-time";
"In many ways, the day proved to be the most satisfying of the year for Essendon fans";
"Much to Essendon followers delight";
"When Gumbleton was moth-balled at half-time";
"Not that it was entirely the Essendon show either.";

The write up of the Eseendon listed players was okay, but it seems that there is some bitterness towards Essendon's decision to end the alignment. That is my perception.

I found the writers attitude towards EFC quite interesting. Am I reading too much into it?

"So it proved again, as Gold - despite attempting to manage the return of several Essendon players on limited game-time";
"In many ways, the day proved to be the most satisfying of the year for Essendon fans";
"Much to Essendon followers delight";
"When Gumbleton was moth-balled at half-time";
"Not that it was entirely the Essendon show either.";

The write up of the Eseendon listed players was okay, but it seems that there is some bitterness towards Essendon's decision to end the alignment. That is my perception.

That article was written by a Bomber fan and regular poster on BB, I doubt there is any bitterness but you could ask him yourself over there.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Game Day Pies v Bendigo at Vic park 1pm Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back