Autopsy Pies v Bombers. Pies lose. Again. Sad face. Angry face. Acceptance face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit Hard after 2 ACL's and Feet Problems
Maybe I am a hard marker. The guy is in his fourth year at the club, and though he might still be recovering from his last ACL, being dropped from an ordinary AFL team, 2nd from the bottom, hardly speaks volumes for his performance. Whatever he might have been going to be, he looks a fair way off becoming now. He might be stylish, but he seems to be missing one or two important ingredients - like pace and intensity. As always, I will be overjoyed to be proved wrong. The team always takes precedence over my personal opinions.

And his performances have been significantly better than Brown's, so I guess that's a box ticked for you?

I think you're agreeing with me here in a roundabout way? He needs exposure at the top level, and up to now he's never had more than 3 senior games in succession. He already dominates the VFL, so it's up to the selection committee now to bite the bullet, give him a solid block of senior games, and let him prove that he was worth the investment we made. This is the perfect time to do it, is it not, with our season already cooked?
He probably doesn't get more than 3 games in succession because he is not deemed good enough to warrant a spot. You use as as excuse a lack of AFL exposure without stating that his form has not justified the extra games.

Scharenberg's non-selection has been purely structural. Even Ben Reid was dropped because of too many talls in defence. Simply put, Dunn, Goldsack and Howe have been picking themselves. And Buckley clearly has a preference for Langdon as he is a bit more physically developed that Scharenberg.

Now that finals are no longer on the cards, I think we can dispense with the structure issues, and simply play the guys who deserve selection. Scharenberg has deserved selection. If it means having to thrown Reid forward, then so be it. We need to pump games into the likes of Scharenberg...particularly when VFL form warrants it.
Bucks seems to have a preference for practically everyone other than Scharenberg. Not a great look for a pick 6 player in his 4th season who has at least had a clear run this year and should be showing something special.

Discussions about Scharenberg and a while back Sier often have a bit of a don't shoot Bambi feel to them. Just sayin but ...

Essendon have been through hell, lost draft picks and are miles ahead of us. This garbage needs to stop.
They also gained some good draft picks while their players were suspended that has put them in a pretty good spot.

They lost commodities in Carlisle and Ryder, but received some good compo for them along with a pick they were destined to get while finishing last.

Bucks seems to have a preference for practically everyone other than Scharenberg. Not a great look for a pick 6 player in his 4th season who has at least had a clear run this year and should be showing something special.

Discussions about Scharenberg and a while back Sier often have a bit of a don't shoot Bambi feel to them. Just sayin but ...
As a supporter group on big footy I think we have overhyped Shaz and it has led to too many extreme views. For mine 2017 has always been about continuity of games for Shaz at whatever level. Miss the best part of your 1st 3 seasons of senior footy is a massive impost. You lose huge development compared to your draft group, physical development and the benefit of successive pre seasons, loss of confidence and the sense of where you belong in the scheme of things and often some of your physical assets which may come back over time.

2017 should have always been seen as mainly a VFL year to let him get back into footy. If he thrived immediately and got to AFL level quickly would be great but unrealistic. If he plays at VFL level and dominates that's great, his confidence will be rebuilding, it will be good for his future. He is also more likely to develop the intensity he lacks and have more desire for the contest. He is almost certainly relearning a lot of footy this season.

Short story is 2017 isn't probably the best season to judge Shaz, either for the enthusiasts or the questioners. Let him build. He isn't the commodity we 1st bought, he is unlikely to reach the heights we originally hoped for. 2018 however will be a much better guide to the player he can become. We need more patience.

He probably doesn't get more than 3 games in succession because he is not deemed good enough to warrant a spot. You use as as excuse a lack of AFL exposure without stating that his form has not justified the extra games.
He was omitted once because he was underdone and the season was on the line, and once because for some baffling reason our match committee preferred an underdone and poorly performed Langdon.

Saying his form hasn't justified the games is bullshit. He's averaging 30 disposals in the VFL and his numbers are trending upwards in the AFL. Do you even watch the footy?

I had pretty low expectations on Shaz for this season. Hoped he'd get a game of footy every week, not too fussed if that was at VFL or AFL level, just needed the exposure. Think under those circumstances he's actually surpassed my expectations and would likely have seen more senior time if we weren't so well covered for medium-tall defenders.

I've always had concerns about his lack of pace and it's why I ultimately see him moving into the midfield. Won't see that progression this year though, it's just about playing at this stage.

As a supporter group on big footy I think we have overhyped Shaz and it has led to too many extreme views. For mine 2017 has always been about continuity of games for Shaz at whatever level. Miss the best part of your 1st 3 seasons of senior footy is a massive impost. You lose huge development compared to your draft group, physical development and the benefit of successive pre seasons, loss of confidence and the sense of where you belong in the scheme of things and often some of your physical assets which may come back over time.

2017 should have always been seen as mainly a VFL year to let him get back into footy. If he thrived immediately and got to AFL level quickly would be great but unrealistic. If he plays at VFL level and dominates that's great, his confidence will be rebuilding, it will be good for his future. He is also more likely to develop the intensity he lacks and have more desire for the contest. He is almost certainly relearning a lot of footy this season.

Short story is 2017 isn't probably the best season to judge Shaz, either for the enthusiasts or the questioners. Let him build. He isn't the commodity we 1st bought, he is unlikely to reach the heights we originally hoped for. 2018 however will be a much better guide to the player he can become. We need more patience.

I think the acl reminders are a smokescreen for his many flaws. If he is fit enough to be dominating the VFL then his body is in good shape. As for intensity-it is clear that Shaz is very laconic and looks disinterested in physical contests and I don't think this will change no matter how many games we pump into him. His pace will never be good enough to play an effective role in defense. He is too skinny and lacks the physicality to play on big forwards and too slow to play on smalls. I don't see a position for him going forward.

He was omitted once because he was underdone and the season was on the line, and once because for some baffling reason our match committee preferred an underdone and poorly performed Langdon.

Saying his form hasn't justified the games is bullshit. He's averaging 30 disposals in the VFL and his numbers are trending upwards in the AFL. Do you even watch the footy?

Yep-I saw him collect 6 possessions in the first five minutes on Saturday-six of the softest, most meaningless stats I have witnessed. Stats without context are irrelevant.

I personally correlate Sharanberg to Scott Gumbleton at the bombers. High draft pick, very highly rated, constantly injured but in the end not very good . Would like to see him play the rest of the season though so we know for sure good bad or indifferent.

I personally correlate Sharanberg to Scott Gumbleton at the bombers. High draft pick, very highly rated, constantly injured but in the end not very good . Would like to see him play the rest of the season though so we know for sure good bad or indifferent.

Don't recall Gumbletom being bad. Injured yes but when he played he always looked like a threat up forward. I remember he carved us up too although that last not saying much.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the end, this is Scharenberg's first year back from multiple knee reconstructions, and a dual foot operation in his debut year. I'm not writing him off just yet.
I'm not either but pointing out the danger of selling the future on potential

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pies v Bombers. Pies lose. Again. Sad face. Angry face. Acceptance face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back