Autopsy Pies win one for the ages!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I just read Robbo's The Tackle column. One of his dislikes was our blocks against the likes of Barrass.

As far as I could see/remember, this was just standard blocks; a forward doing a screen for another forward. No holds, etc. You see this sort of forward craft even in country footy reserves games!

Maybe I have to go and watch it again...

To be honest I only read the column expecting to see Pendles in the "Likes" section for playing a half with a broken finger.
IF you can't beat em join em. Oppo regularly ruthlessly and much more illegally blocks and holds our tall forwards.

The commentators must have mentioned the 50% game time thing 6 times. As it turns out, he was injured and they still kept him out as much as possible, and i reckon if he wasn’t injured they would have let him play it out. He almost took a match winning grab deep into the last quarter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Another injury probably many weesk maybe season is a cruel blow for WC. Don't like to see it but does make me feel better about footy gods cruel infliction of injuries on us and evens it up a bit b/n last year's GFists.

Most impressive part of this win for me -
WC looked v sharp early esp their nimble speedy forwards like Cameron. BT even commented right after he kicked another one that they (WC) were just too fast, nimble, agile for the oppos, and it did look like that at the time, and that they would overwhelm us and kick away as everyone including me had expected.

In games I've played when one side pulls off a couple of very sharp plays, it often demoralized the other sdie, I've experienced it on both sides of that effect.
It was a great sign of the high belief that this did not happen at all to woods, they just kept believing and playing with confidence no matter what.

It's interesting that in such a situation when the "dominant" party fails to demoralize the other party who keep coming back at them, that can soon wear down the dominators who get even more demoralized than the others were supposed to, because their best and most ruthless does not phase the oppo so they feel like they are out of ideas.

I've found this is true in life generally, not just footy. Blower fish effect?

Last edited:

Still beaming from this win. Given me confidence we can make and win the grand final. The comp is as open as it's been in years. We need to take our chances.
So what you’re really saying is we’re going on a 10 game winning streak.

I likes.

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 27 Bounces

Phillips 25 (24w, 1i)
Treloar 22
de Goey 22
Sidebottom 19 (16w, 3i)
Crisp 18 (1w)
Sier 15
Pendlebury 11 (10w, 1i)
Crocker 3 wing

Rucks:
Grundy 23
Cox 4

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Grundy 3
Cox 2
de Goey 2
Treloar 2
Sidebottom 2
Sier 1
Pendlebury 1

1st Half - 20

Phillips 18 (17w, 1i)
Treloar 16
de Goey 16
Crisp 15
Sidebottom 14 (12w, 2i)
Pendlebury 9 (8w, 1i)
Sier 9
Crocker 3 wing

Grundy 18
Cox 2

Final Term - 3

Phillips 3 wing
Treloar 3
de Goey 3
Sidebottom 2 wing
Sier 2
Crisp 1
Pendlebury 1 wing

Cox 2
Grundy 1

Notes:
- First time Pendlebury has finished outside the top 6 mids in an analysed game since Rd 21, 2016. He only had 2 starts after 1/4 time
- Most starts for Crisp in an analysed game since Rd 23, 2016. This was his first analysed game start in a year, his first inside start since Rd 21, 2017 and his first top 6 finish since Rd 9, 2017
- A week after not being utilised in Q4 at all and registering a career low for starts, Sier's attendances bounced back to normal.

Love seeing that De Goey was in the Center square for 22 out of the 27 Center bounces. Delicious.

So what you’re really saying is we’re going on a 10 game winning streak.

I likes.

We finish third. Lose to WC first week of finals and then Richmond the week after. Right about it being a year to steal an easier one - but lazy buggers lost games they shouldnt have. Might be abke to rectify it but difficult.

Pies play better outside of Melbourne than we do at Marvel.

We controlled that from half way through the third.

Great win

Second on the ladder, yet plenty of doubters still...get on board and enjoy the ride
You might want to take a look at the draw and consider the probable match ups in the finals. Good win but need to do more to compensate for lazy efforts.

A premiership flog actually.

A medal can be hung on any neck - no matter how little grey matter it supports.
That’s a Broad but correct statement.

:greenalien: :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love seeing that De Goey was in the Center square for 22 out of the 27 Center bounces. Delicious.
Yep and while playing out of the middle that often, he still kicked 2.2! Not to mention Mihocek managed 4.1. When Stephenson is back, and Elliott is hopefully still there, just play De Goey out of the square as much as you like!

Yep and while playing out of the middle that often, he still kicked 2.2! Not to mention Mihocek managed 4.1. When Stephenson is back, and Elliott is hopefully still there, just play De Goey out of the square as much as you like!
Mmm still a good idea to rotate him as it makes it even harder for opposition strategists to find a suitable match.

We got on top in the midfield and won clearances we'd have lost in previous weeks. De Goey gives the midfield grunt and class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pies win one for the ages!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back