Travis Birt
Luke Butterworth
Ed Cowan (New)
Gerard Denton
Michael Dighton
Xavier Doherty
Alex Doolan
Brendan Drew
James Faulkner (Upgraded from Rookie Contract)
Brett Geeves
Adam Griffith
Ben Hilfenhaus(CA contract)
Jason Krejza
Rhett Lockyear
Tim Macdonald
Adam Maher (New)
Dan Marsh
Ricky Ponting(CA contract)
Jonathan Wells (Upgraded from Rookie Contract)

Rookies
Matthew Day (New)
Wade Irvine
Brady Jones
John Rogers
Jeremy Smith
Tom Triffitt (New)

Coaching Staff
Head Coach Tim Coyle
Assistant Coach Ali De Winter
Assistant Coach (P/T) Michael Di Venuto (New)
Strength & Conditioning Coach Sean Murphy
Pace Bowling Consultant Mark Colegrave
Mental Skills Coach Dean Cooley

------------------------------------
NEWS

"Coach revved up over pace" - http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/07/01/81835_sport-news.html

Tas after Malinga - http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/411677.html

Interesting to see Dawson and Divin get the sack. Not surprised about Dawson, but I thought Divin would keep his spot after he played so many 1day games over the last few years...

Lasith Malinga has agreed in principle to join Tasmania and Sri Lanka's frontline spinners, Muttiah Muralitharan and Ajantha Mendis, are close to signing with Victoria and South Australia respectively for next season's Twenty20 Big Bash competition.

"Twenty20 cricket is a such a hard game for bowlers and it's so batsman-friendly, but he is a guy who has actually found a way to dominate with the ball pretty regularly," Tim Coyle, Tasmania's coach, said. "He is fast, he bowls fantastic yorkers, he's got a good change of pace and the research we have done, he is a fantastic fellow as well."

More...

Fantastic news for Tasmania.

looking at that line up, it might be time for the tigers to start playing 7 bowlers and trying to keep their matches short!

seriously, with hilf, geeves, krejza, a fit griffith, doherty, macdonald, and a faulkner ready to break out... it's gotta be level with WA and second only to NSW in terms bowling attack

I don't know why they didn't get a batsman for the twenty 20.

Malinga, Hilf, Geeves, Krejza - who was surprisingly good in the format last year - would make a pretty handy attack though!

Squads have been announced:

PKF Tasmanian Tigers
George Bailey (Captain)
Tim Paine (Vice-captain)
Travis Birt
Luke Butterworth
Ed Cowan (New)
Gerard Denton
Michael Dighton
Xavier Doherty
Alex Doolan
Brendan Drew
James Faulkner (Upgraded from Rookie Contract)
Brett Geeves
Adam Griffith
Ben Hilfenhaus(CA contract)
Jason Krejza
Rhett Lockyear
Tim Macdonald
Adam Maher (New)
Dan Marsh
Ricky Ponting(CA contract)
Jonathan Wells (Upgraded from Rookie Contract)

Rookies
Matthew Day (New)
Wade Irvine
Brady Jones
John Rogers
Jeremy Smith
Tom Triffitt (New)

I used to go to the same primary school as this kid. He will play for Australia in the near future, bookmark it.

looking at that line up, it might be time for the tigers to start playing 7 bowlers and trying to keep their matches short!

seriously, with hilf, geeves, krejza, a fit griffith, doherty, macdonald, and a faulkner ready to break out... it's gotta be level with WA and second only to NSW in terms bowling attack

Why not... Geeves, Krejze, Faulkner and to a lesser extent X can all bat... and the further up the order Geeves goes, the less likely MacDonald will strand him again :D

I don't know why they didn't get a batsman for the twenty 20.

Malinga, Hilf, Geeves, Krejza - who was surprisingly good in the format last year - would make a pretty handy attack though!

Because if this 20/20 world cup proved anything it's that having a strong bowling attack who keeps the run rate down will win games for you more often than not.

Pakistan with Gul, Aamer, Ajmal, Afridi
Sri Lanka with Murali, Mendis, Malinga
South Africa with Steyn, Parnell, Botha, Van Der Merwe

All very good bowlers in the shorter form.

With that bowling attack I'd tip Tassie to take it out this year. Mind you, don't think Hilf we be playing for Tassie much this season.

I'll be the first to take a stab at the best XI's then

SS
E. Cowan
J. Wells
T. Birt
G. Bailey
D. Marsh
T. Paine
L. Butterworth
J. Krejza
B. Geeves
G. Denton
T. MacDonald

Australia duty : R. Ponting, B. Hilfenhaus
Unlucky: A. Doolan, J. Faulkner, A. Griffith

FRC
T. Paine
E. Cowan
M. Dighton
D. Marsh
G. Bailey
T. Birt
L. Butterworth
B. Geeves
J. Krejza
X. Doherty
A. Griffith

Unlucky: J. Faulkner, B. Drew, R. Lockyear

Thoughts?

I'll be the first to take a stab at the best XI's then

SS
E. Cowan
J. Wells
T. Birt
G. Bailey
D. Marsh
T. Paine
L. Butterworth
J. Krejza
B. Geeves
G. Denton
T. MacDonald

Australia duty : R. Ponting, B. Hilfenhaus
Unlucky: A. Doolan, J. Faulkner, A. Griffith

FRC
T. Paine
E. Cowan
M. Dighton
D. Marsh
G. Bailey
T. Birt
L. Butterworth
B. Geeves
J. Krejza
X. Doherty
A. Griffith

Unlucky: J. Faulkner, B. Drew, R. Lockyear

Thoughts?

Doherty and Krezja will never play in the same 1dayer unless Krezja is selected as a batsman. The consequence of having them both is that we are fast bowler down - and as we already have Dan Marsh to bowl 5 overs of spin, there's no point having them both in. From the form butters showed last year in 1dayer (http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine..._career.html?id=4481;team=611;type=tournament) we can't afford to play him as a bowler. We really need to blood Faulkner - he is a talent...

My line-up
Dighton
Lockyer/Cowan
Bailey
Marsh
Birt
Paine
Butterworth
Faulkner
Doherty
Geeves
Griffith

still think Geeves was pretty stiff not to get a CA contract. Anyone know anything about Adam Maher? where's he from/any good?

I agree with your shield line up HBK which is unfortunate because it still looks pretty fragile batting wise to me, particularly up the top. Hopefully Cowan proves a good pickup.

Maher is a bowler from NSW grade cricket. Whether he is any good or not we will have to wait and see. Personally I don't like taking complete unknowns from interstate, especially a bowler when we have plenty, and cutting young local tassie talent out from the contracts list. Someone like Cowan adds something, does Maher?

Anyway did Griffith play grade cricket in Hobart last year and if so how did he go. He's a good bowler when he is right but he hasn't played for a fair while now.

When Australia have Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Lee, Clark, Bollinger and Bracken, Tait on contracts it's not hard to see why.

All these bowlers are clearly ahead of him.
I don't rate Tait that highly (but lets not get into that one) and wouldn't have Bollinger that much ahead of him either. And then there's McDonald.

I can understand him missing out, but he's still unlucky, been outstanding. Another year on top of the shield wicket takers and good form with the bat should be enough next time round (all in my biased opinion of course :p )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah mate... they couldnt handle having 3 Tasmanians in the Aussie team;)

I agree that Geeves was unlucky... was a strange call... he was over in South Africa and was pretty close to playing in the last test with both Hilfy and Siddle under injury clouds... cant really remember what he was like in the one-dayers...but to lose the CA contract seemed harsh...

Has been getting better every year... and the mans batting is seriously underatted.... was 2 runs away from having 2 shield hundreds last year...

cowan for glenorchy i hear
Makes sense i guess considering that they don't have a Contracted batsman.

I wonder which club the two bowlers from NSW are going to play for?

Sandy Bay, and Kingbourough are the only two clubs not to have a contracted fast bowler so maybe thats is where they will end up.

kingborough and north hobart i believe
Lets hope not. North Hobart already have Griffith, and some really good young bowlers.

I can handly Kingo getting one of them. I say one should go to the sharks. The sharks has lost the following bowlers over the last 2 seasons Polkinghorne (retirement), Duval (south Australia), Mick Marshal (to coaching duties with the Aus team), Andrew Downtan (Mainland and gone walk about) and Marcus Davies (to AFL).

That leaves a pretty big hole!

Lets hope not. North Hobart already have Griffith, and some really good young bowlers.

I can handly Kingo getting one of them. I say one should go to the sharks. The sharks has lost the following bowlers over the last 2 seasons Polkinghorne (retirement), Duval (south Australia), Mick Marshal (to coaching duties with the Aus team), Andrew Downtan (Mainland and gone walk about) and Marcus Davies (to AFL).

That leaves a pretty big hole!

Last I saw Downton was playing club cricket in Melbourne for St Kilda. Performed well last year. Not sure what his intentions are this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

PKF Tasmanian Tigers 2009-10 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back