Player Litigation

Remove this Banner Ad

They toured a few years back with Red Cross, brilliant night. Full of good looking women who are of an age where financial stability overrides a full head of hair and a six pack.
yeah I saw them at the Corner with evo 's wife, but they left him at home to babysit the kids. and j accoustic at the toff and with adalita at hamer bourgeoisie

I think the football public have every right to ask WTF is going on? Hird is found guilty and receives a wonderful parting gift of $1 million, a 12 month overseas trip, and the promise of a job upon his return. Players are found guilty of wilfully partaking in a banned substances program, suspended for 2 years backdated to 2015, even though they played that season. On top of this, the AFL are compensating them for lost income.

I mean, where in hell are the penalties? If I were found guilty of illegal practices in my job, there'd be no $1 million payouts, overseas holidays, promises of jobs. No year off work on full pay. I'd be sacked, with the opportunity to join the dole queue the following week.

The AFL are showing, yet again, that they are still not prepared to make a stance against drugs in sport. Spineless wimps.
graymail. all the players and dank can sink the ship.

hird can, but lots of his pull and power came from spineless coteries with too much money (than sense /grammar)
that is why, Hird prolly took close to 10 mill in his 6 years there, a lawyers bill for the club/coteries of his own personal complicity (another 2mill? conservative?) now the clubs and the clubs employees legal costs, which is(are( prolly double the personal fees of Albert...

then the biggest one is damage to the club for the short and medium and even long term. They lost the anchor sponsor Samsung, which is unlike a sponsorship like cycling, these Emirites/Samsung brands will need to be on a sports jersey, and unless you really f them (which Windy Hill did) they will be with you for over a decade, and they will be paying the highest premium for the most prestigious club. You lost Samsung you gooses. you geese. So their suite of sponsors might be conservative 30% below what their potential was, all for the medium term (next decade). In real terms, I would say this would be about ~15 million hit. And membership, and membership potential, yeah, they "say" lots of members signed up when they were not signed up members... I am sure some did, but like Barrack OBama saying the fund raising had most money from individual donors, when it was all coming from Wall Street, I think this is partly BS. How will the membership health look like in 4 years with these new signees? and ones who dropped off. Certainly wont be the health of Hawks Richmond and Collingwood.

Last edited:
Apparantly the club has offered 1 year extensions to players affected.
Will be interesting to see if any take up the offer or not Would imagine there would have to a few extra $$ in the contract.
Can see guys like Stanton or Watson who are almost finished take up the deal

I am praying the insurance companies are going to challenge payouts so we get the full cross examination in court with the players obliged to spill the beans to justify their claims.
If Essendon are insured as Little states the companies will not be interested in brand protection. I am curious to know if the insurance companies will challenge there right to make a claim as they were a party to the deeds.

I wonder if Essendon are not granted insurance coverage would the club survive? Would they AFL dig into the coffers?

Surely the insurance companies aren't going to cop liability for this?

Imo, none of them will get to Court.

Gillon has already given the heads up that he will contribute AFL money to the pot (as much as it takes) to "look after the players".

Already they will get all but their full wage this year. Plus paid courses have already been mentioned to keep them occupied this year. Whatever else is required in the pot to make the players happy enough to stay outta court will be provided by EFC, with guarantor of the AFL.

They have shown with their bastardry toward Hal Hunter that they will continue to diminish their practically non existent integrity to keep the still plentiful secrets secret.

We'll see if they can pull it off. Shouldn't be too hard. Afterall, it's all back in their own backyard again now.

With an all-too-compliant media not wanting to query any of it and risk their credentials and favourable relationships with head office. They all just want to "get back to what we love" which is writing terrible prose, match reports and players private "scandals" and not holding any officials or (favoured) clubs to account.

Apparantly the club has offered 1 year extensions to players affected.
Will be interesting to see if any take up the offer or not Would imagine there would have to a few extra $$ in the contract.
Can see guys like Stanton or Watson who are almost finished take up the deal
So trying to buy the players off. Just like they did Hird.

So trying to buy the players off. Just like they did Hird.
Not sure it's buying them off, think it's the least they deserve. I still don't think many will do it but as I said for someone like Stanton who would realistically take him next year on a 1 year deal? The club is basically offering him an extra year in the system.

It's on, Lawyers are going to get rich, players get compo for taking banned drugs and Essendon and the AFL to get poorer.

First paragraphs of article in the Australian by Large fries.

Two of Australia’s leading personal injury law firms are preparing compensation claims against the Essendon Football Club on behalf of footballers banned for doping.

A group of six players, including captain Jobe Watson, ruckman Thomas Bellchambers and Port Adelaide forward Angus Monfries, is receiving legal advice from Holding Redlich managing partner Howard Rapke, who has begun the complex task of calculating each player’s financial cost and injury from the three-year drugs scandal.

Western Bulldogs forward Stewart Crameri, coach Brent Prismall and former Essendon player Sam Lonergan, who will be unable to take up a coaching job in Launceston as a consequence of last week’s Court of Arbitration decision, are being advised by rival firm Slater and Gordon.

A third group of players is talking to players manager Peter Jess, who has approached prominent barrister and sports law expert Tony Nolan QC to represent Nathan Lovett-Murray, a former Essendon player who until the CAS decision was the coach of an Aboriginal team in Victoria.

AFL powerbroker and former union boss Bill Kelty has emerged as a key figure behind a push to ensure the players’ claims are resolved pragmatically and without further court action.

Mr Kelty has made his view known to senior figures at the AFL and Essendon that the game will need to find a substantial sum — between $10 million and $20 million — to redress the financial and reputational loss suffered by Essendon players.

It's on, Lawyers are going to get rich, players get compo for taking banned drugs and Essendon and the AFL to get poorer.

First paragraphs of article in the Australian by Large fries.

Two of Australia’s leading personal injury law firms are preparing compensation claims against the Essendon Football Club on behalf of footballers banned for doping.

A group of six players, including captain Jobe Watson, ruckman Thomas Bellchambers and Port Adelaide forward Angus Monfries, is receiving legal advice from Holding Redlich managing partner Howard Rapke, who has begun the complex task of calculating each player’s financial cost and injury from the three-year drugs scandal.

Western Bulldogs forward Stewart Crameri, coach Brent Prismall and former Essendon player Sam Lonergan, who will be unable to take up a coaching job in Launceston as a consequence of last week’s Court of Arbitration decision, are being advised by rival firm Slater and Gordon.

A third group of players is talking to players manager Peter Jess, who has approached prominent barrister and sports law expert Tony Nolan QC to represent Nathan Lovett-Murray, a former Essendon player who until the CAS decision was the coach of an Aboriginal team in Victoria.

AFL powerbroker and former union boss Bill Kelty has emerged as a key figure behind a push to ensure the players’ claims are resolved pragmatically and without further court action.

Mr Kelty has made his view known to senior figures at the AFL and Essendon that the game will need to find a substantial sum — between $10 million and $20 million — to redress the financial and reputational loss suffered by Essendon players.
OH boy, I guess we knew it was coming. Wonder if Ryder will join the Lovett camp.

graymail. all the players and dank can sink the ship.

hird can, but lots of his pull and power came from spineless coteries with too much money (than sense /grammar)
that is why, Hird prolly took close to 10 mill in his 6 years there, a lawyers bill for the club/coteries of his own personal complicity (another 2mill? conservative?) now the clubs and the clubs employees, which is prolly double the personal fees of Albert...

then the biggest one is damage to the club for the short and medium and even long term. They lost the anchor sponsor Samsung, which is unlike a sponsorship like cycling, these Emirites/Samsung brands will need to be on a sports jersey, and unless you really f them (which Windy Hill did) they will be with you for over a decade, and they will be paying the highest premium for the most prestigious club. You lost Samsung you gooses. you geese. So their suite of sponsors might be conservative 30% below what their potential was, all for the medium term (next decade). In real terms, I would say this would be about ~15 million hit. And membership, and membership potential, yeah, they "say" lots of members signed up when they were not signed up members... I am sure some did, but like Barrack OBama saying the fund raising had most money from individual donors, when it was all coming from Wall Street, I think this is partly BS. How will the membership health look like in 4 years with these new signees? and ones who dropped off. Certainly wont be the health of Hawks Richmond and Collingwood.
Hey. Tim Watson never said Hird would be cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Good post.

Unfortunately, i very much doubt we are ever gonna see anyone actually get to Court. Maybe Hal, if he is serious, and gets some backing.

But does it really matter anymore to the public anyway, to get this into Court?

The EFC, and everyone involved, could hardly be anymore guilty than they already are in the public's eye after the CAS verdict.

The cover-up was bloody hard yakka...3 years of toil....but it has failed dismally.

All that is left is for a bit of compensation to whoever can extract it, and a few last hopeless flails from the guilty partys.

Bigfooty fundraiser for Hal?

If Essendon FC told them to lie to the testers then the players should sue.

If they did that off their own bat they deserve nothing.
Don't agree. The players should have smelled a rat if the club told them to lie. Going ahead and lying is up to the individual. They have nobody to blame except themselves.

Fancy enlisting the dude that helped Hird first. Didn't he lose?
From why I've had explained to me by my best mate (a lawyer) it's not that strange at all.

He says the lawyers chosen Up to thee CAS finding had the wrong area of expertise. They chose sports and employment lawyers, when really with the defense they mounted they needed administrative lawyers (which are apparently hard to come by since most are in cases centred around refugee laws). Now is the time they should be enlisting sports and employment lawyers (which they are)

One thing is clear. If Essendon/AFL don't negotiate a deal satisfactory to all players, there will be a continuation of these articles about injections etc, leaks from more players, other reputations potentially exposed. The AFL want this over, not subject to new revelations on a weekly basis.

Players will get their money. It won't reach court.

One thing is clear. If Essendon/AFL don't negotiate a deal satisfactory to all players, there will be a continuation of these articles about injections etc, leaks from more players, other reputations potentially exposed. The AFL want this over, not subject to new revelations on a weekly basis.

people need to read the acc report to understand why it's not in anybodies interest to go to court, players included

so who's going to pay? Only the EFC, AFL didn't inject them. Taking your employer to court never worked out well for anyone who wants to stay employed.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

They have shown with their bastardry toward Hal Hunter that they will continue to diminish their practically non existent integrity to keep the still plentiful secrets secret.

We'll see if they can pull it off. Shouldn't be too hard. Afterall, it's all back in their own backyard again now.

I'm thinking that down the track Danks, Alavi or even Charters may threaten to do a tell-all. Ol Gil has access to a big wad of our money after all. It's gotta be tempting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Litigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back