Review Player Review v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I thought we should have rested key players before the West Coast game and also before this game. Clearly a bit flat from some of our primer movers, although to their credit they pushed hard to the line. Phillips has paid with his season.

Slippery deck, will be good match practice for finals if we play night games at the Gabba. Tough coming off 7 days less break compared to Brisbane.

All things considered you have to be impressed with the effort and endeavour to follow the game through to the siren. The disposal was deplorable again though. Hopefully we can knock over the Gold Coast and Port have nothing to play for in the final round.

Crisp - what an outstanding player, never loses his 1 v1, breaks lines, tackles hard is just clean. Wasn’t flawless, but I feel his gut running, particularly in the absence of Mayne, Phillips and a hampered Maynard, was crucial.

Pendles - always so clean when everybody else loses their head. Adapted to the conditions better than any. Led the clearances nicely. You can tell he’s better off having had a spell.

Adams - really needs to be commended, was clearly struggling physically I thought in the middle part of the game. But battled hard at the coal face, found a way to have an impact.

Noble -really finding his place in an injury riddled side. Will be tough to drop him when we get players back. Always in the right spots and using the ball well.

Grundy - should have been rested weeks ago. He’s carrying a knee from round 2 im certain.

Cox - had been playing significantly better. I really feel for a forward with the delivery we have. Moore went forward in the last didn’t get near it.

IQ - outstanding I thought, so assured with the ball...breaks lines, is hard to tackle. What a player, could be the best kick we have.

Maynard - clearly hampered but found a way to impact, albeit not at his usual standard. His mongrel is so key for us, the rest of the team really need to follow his lead, we were bullied again tonight.

Phillips - he tries, he works hard...he goes when it’s his turn even though you know he doesn’t want to and you know he’ll turn it over. With Mayne and sidey out we are really down on that critical capacity to gut run and plug holes. Does Rantall come in?

Lynch - I can see he has some attributes, pretty quick and agile for his height...had one of the better inside 50’s in the first quarter too bad it was to Stephenson. Pretty poor debut though. Not any worse than Cameron though.

Stephenson - is pathetic. In some mystical parallel universe where he’s surrounded by a force field I can see how it makes sense to have him in the team. Clubs have figured out that if they bully us we fold. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a softer player in the AFL. That one v one contest in the 50 was disgusting.

Callum Brown - watch every one call for him to be dropped, but Stephenson yep leave him in...Brown’s kicking was horrific tonight. Really needs to improve that. But at least he tips in, lifts when needed.

Tyler - didn’t get much of it, but he has potential this will develop by playing games. So he plays. Does some really nice things in traffic, isn’t afraid and tried on a nice don’t argue at one point. A better kick than his brother, although he did gift a goal from the back pocket.

Mihocek - dropped the mark, competes well. Tough with such poor ball movement and delivery.

Moore - not his most impactful game, slipped over to gift a goal. But still neutralises everything in his vicinity. Will come back fresh after the bye.

Greenwood - critical for us and it has nothing to do with stats. You know exactly what you’ll get from him, a contest and 110%. He always takes 4-5 games to work himself into form following injury or a seasons start. He plays!

Daicos - another brilliant game, was a bit sloppy by foot but still at least won the ball and attempted to make the play and coordinate something from the wing.

Madgen - becoming quite dependable, good in the air and on the deck. Uses it well also, I think at times hesitates a bit to move it on quickly and takes the safe option. Hard to fault a defender when we do so well to neutralise inside 50’s.

Elliot - battles so well when in and around the ball, applies real pressure And is so dominant in the air also. The clutch goal was crucial for us, too bad his team mates couldn’t be as clean. Has been a revelation on ball.

Thomas - is another who gets whipped week in week out, I can’t say undeserved but at least he attacks the ball. Probably not a 22 player though, but again tough being a forward in our team at the moment.

Roughie - almost forgot about him, a bit tentative almost dropped an uncontested mark in the goal square doesn’t move the ball with the same urgency as the others. Still neutralised the ball coming in, that’s all you need sometimes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back