Player Review vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Overall

Outstanding first qtr where stats said should have been in front by much more but woeful kicking by Ball and Sidebottom hurt badly. Second and third were just awful. Went up a gear and we couldn't compete. Again some shocking ball use really hurt. In the end some of the stats didn’t suggest that result , had probably 6 our best 22 out, our kicking really hurt us as did the umps but look full credit to them… they are good.

Pot Shot for the night - The Fitness Crew

Pot Shot # 1 - At the end of the day when you have 15 blokes unavailable it hurts. Almost want to see our inability to get a third of our list fit and ready for Rd 1 is a shocker. None of them are knees etc they are soft tissue related. Money certainly doesnt help in this regard it would seem

Pot Shot # 2 – What is our kick in strategy? Frost, Maxwell and Ball all had a go.

Pot Shot # 3 – Must admit I thought umps were terrible. Pavlich gets a hand in the back thats is so light it aint funny but Cloke gets nothing when McPharlin had 2 in the back of him. Fyfe dead set drops it and no free and then Langdon gets one paid against him 30s later when it clearly hit his foot on the way down.

Players

Caf - Look he was ok at times and was influential in a couple of goals where he ran hard and showed poise going back into the corridor. Was made to look bad when the player went over the mark and interfered with the ball and cost us a goal.

Grundy - Thought was pretty good considering. Showing signs for a kid whose only played 8 games. Plenty will roast him but I thought he did as well as could be expected.

Maxwell - The Maxwell 'haters' will be out tonight. He made some poor choices I thought. Said at half time the mids were the problem and that’s true given how many fwd 50 entries they got after half time but to be fair I thought the back 6 lost their feet a lot and made some bad choices like the one just before half time when he had Beams in space and just tried to do to much.

Goldsack - One good moment. Should be in the back half for mine. Was played fwd as needed the height but did zip.

Kennedy - Sub which I thought was odd. Has a better crack than Clarke. Should have had a goal. Late in that last he got absolutely missed at CHF and in a heap of space. Just play him Bucks.

OBrien - He was good but he got caught a couple of times and they turned and burned us. Thats ok for me at least was in it and trying something. Was going til the end and one of the best.

Clarke - Just awful. Was ok with ball in hand but missed a tackle on Pav when he was stationary and then went head high with his next. Cant play 1:1. Its hard to watch at times. Surprised if plays another senior match.

Pendlebury - Copped the hard tag and made some mistakes but was in the play and was one of our better ones

Ball - Was good as well and particularly in close and drifting into CHF but v poor he could convert on at least 2 occasions. Got worked over the other way to.

Adams - I thought the pace of the game was against him. Was ok but that kick just before half time was bad. Just couldn’t seem to get into it

Young - Was good on the outside but pretty ineffective inside the contest. He didn't go there much and in these games you need to be able to win ball. Even that goal he kicked late he was floating outside and it was kind of lucky it got to him.

Brown - Was ok but a couple of times got exposed with his positioning. Probably lucky Pavlich didn't do more to him but he held his own in the end.

Beams – Was good but he didn't hurt them.

Elliott - Tried hard but again the ball didn't come in real well and he didn't get many good goes at it.

Sidebottom - When he is on he is good as he was in the first but gee he can go missing when the ball is going the other way. A couple of shockers in front of goal.

Sinclair - Was ok and did alright given lack of game time.

Toovey - Was ok and another defender who looked short a run

Cloke - Was quadrupled team for most of the night. He really needs Reid and White up their to spread the defence.

Swan - Wasn't very influential after 1/4 time.

Langdon - I thought he was v good and showed a bit for his first game. Good 1:1, poised and used well but has to be said made 3-4 bad errors by foot. Still was terrific 1:1 and might be the best thing to come out of the night.

Frost - Wasn't the worst and he held up ok when the ball was coming down. How he was allowed to take a kick out beyond me.

Last edited:

Pendlebury: Standard game from him, got dragged into defence and was ineffective down there. Loved his expression when kicking the first goal of the game but unfortunately the momentum faded. B+

Ball: Did the little things and was in the right place at the right time most of the night. Looks to be back to his best. B

Swan: Non existent, had no influence on the game, played mostly behind the ball. Looks Injured. B

Beams: Just doing what he does best, In for a big year. It's funny to see how much he's improved over Sidebottom. A

Langdon: Our best defender in his first game, Apart from a few fumbles in Q1 he looked very very good. B

Sidebottom: Very inaccurate in front of goal which is uncharacteristic, doesn't do much around the ground as usual. Needs to improve. C

Grundy: Sandilands gave him a bath, big learning experience for Brodie. D+

Macaffer: Didn't do much on Hill. Had a bit of an impact around the ground which was good. C

Lumumba: Looked lost when he was in defence. Didn't really impress, needs to go back to a wing. C

Young: His kicking was probably the best in the team all night, a bit greedy when going for goal though. Needs to nail them. Hope he can stay injury free this year. C+

Sinclair: Allowed Ballantyne to cut him up. D

Maxwell: Spudding it up like usual. F

Elliott: Looked OK in the middle but dropped a lot of marks, looks a little rusty. C

Frost: Kept Hannath quiet all night and looked OK. Pass. C

Clarke: Send him back to Ireland. F

Witts: Looked good early but faded away. Very raw. D

Adams: Didn't do much all night and looked overwhelmed by playing in the bigger crowd than he is used to. Hoping he gets back up to the standard we saw him play at in the NAB Challenge. D

Goldsack: Not good, fails to do anything that really impresses, very stock standard player. D

Cloke: I didn't see him take a contested mark all night and he just looked very fumbly. D

Brown: Let Pavlich out run him, out mark him, out tackle him, everything. Poor. F

Toovey: Kept Walters quiet until late. Pass. C

Kennedy: Can't say much about him as he was the sub. Didn't have much of an impact.

Can't even be bothered. Beams easily our best player. It's a shame he tries his guts out while everything around him crumbles like shit. Langdon was also impressive.

The rest, hopeless.

Maxwell, Clarke, Goldsack and Frost just aren't up to it.

Sidebottom should have been traded last year. Joel Bowden MKII.

Pendlebury: Standard game from him, got dragged into defence and was ineffective down there. Loved his expression when kicking the first goal of the game but unfortunately the momentum faded. B+Considering he is captain C

Ball: Did the little things and was in the right place at the right time most of the night. Looks to be back to his best. B pace caught in possession C

Beams: Just doing what he does best, In for a big year. It's funny to see how much he's improved over Sidebottom. A no one deserves ab A maybe B+

Langdon: Our best defender in his first game, Apart from a few fumbles in Q1 he looked very very good. B yep

Sidebottom: Very inaccurate in front of goal which is uncharacteristic, doesn't do much around the ground as usual. Needs to improve. C Shocking played out of position D+

Grundy: Sandilands gave him a bath, big learning experience for Brodie. D+ Bit tough C

Macaffer: Didn't do much on Hill. Had a bit of an impact around the ground which was good. C yep

Lumumba: Looked lost when he was in defence. Didn't really impress, needs to go back to a wing. C Shocking kicking accountability D-

Young: His kicking was probably the best in the team all night, a bit greedy when going for goal though. Needs to nail them. Hope he can stay injury free this year. C+ Compared to others C

Sinclair: Allowed Ballantyne to cut him up. D tried and run early return from injury C

Maxwell: Spudding it up like usual. F yep

Elliott: Looked OK in the middle but dropped a lot of marks, looks a little rusty. C yep

Frost: Kept Hannath quiet all night and looked OK. Pass. C

Clarke: Send him back to Ireland. F yep

Witts: Looked good early but faded away. Very raw. D yep

Adams: Didn't do much all night and looked overwhelmed by playing in the bigger crowd than he is used to. Hoping he gets back up to the standard we saw him play at in the NAB Challenge. D yep

Goldsack: Not good, fails to do anything that really impresses, very stock standard player. D terrible F

Cloke: I didn't see him take a contested mark all night and he just looked very fumbly. D terrible F

Brown: Let Pavlich out run him, out mark him, out tackle him, everything. Poor. F

Toovey: Kept Walters quiet until late. Pass. C yep

Kennedy: Can't say much about him as he was the sub. Didn't have much of an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke shouldnt get a game

Goldsack to go back if hes to get a game at all - Hes hopeless up forward

Maxwell is finished

Was impressed with Young & Langdon tonight.

Im really shattered Marley has the whole trial thing over his head. I think we could have a decent back 6 as below

Williams Brown Toovey

Langdon Reid Young

Freos game plan was so much better then ours tonight. They cut through us like butter most of the night. We need to work on our defensive structures over the next two weeks that was my major concern. Yeah we were down on personal tonight but Im not going to signal anyone out for playing badly.

Onto the positives.
Langdon was very good. That is all to upset.

Bad luck tonight lads, you have a great midfield but had some injuries up forward. We were always going to come up pumped up after last years gf, and our preseason is a standard Ross lyon "who gives a s..t"
Preseason. I'm sure you will be right up there this year . Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to keep it to a minimum because a few senior players would really feel my wrath otherwise.

Tom Langdon take a bow. He made a few blues early and turned it over a couple of times, but for him to show the composure he did at other times was a massive plus.

Ben Kennedy. Good on ya kid giving you the sub vest after the consistent solid pre-season you had was an utter joke. However when you got on you gave us something none of our other senior players could muster for more than 30 minutes!

You know I'm going to take a swipe at a senior player anyway. Dayne Beams your numbers around the contest were fantastic, however your lazy half arsed running when Freo were in possession was disgusting! There were other culprits out there tonight, but they either don't have the experience to know better or don't have the engine to keep up. You on the other hand deliberately cheat. It's sad to see from a supporters perspective...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Review vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back