Player Review vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody hell you guys, that Langdon looks like a fantastic young player.
Poor Grundy, he tried so bloody hard, I felt sorry for him tonight, honestly Minson was cleaned up by Sandi last week and poor Grundy just got thrown to the wolves, Sandilands could be in for his best ever year.
Beams was awesome again.

don't be too concerned about tonights result, 15 other teams have to play this excellent Freo side.

Maxwell
Clarke
Lumumba
Elliot
Goldsack

aren't AFL level players anymore. I'm especially disappointed with Elliot who was worst on ground tonight for mine. He was solid last season and you'd expect a player his age to improve on that however across the preseason he's fumbled too much, kicked poorly and generally made poor decisions.

Also out midfield gets a big F. Playing midfield these days is not about racking up high possessions anymore, it's about cleanliness and distributing the ball to runner who aren't under perceived pressure. Just from watching the two midfields tonight it was painful to see ho better drilled Fremantle were than us. They don't fumble and at first opportunity handball to wide runners under no pressure which gives them an advantage kicking to the forward line especially when it's 1v1. Our midfield, on the other hand, fumbles too much and when we do get the ball in tight throw it onto the boat too often rather than look to throw out the handball to a runner. It becomes even worse when you consider that we were allowing them to play a loose man in defence.

We had close to our best midfield in tonight, there's no excuse for what they served up. It's also disappointing to see that the worst offenders are 3 of our best - Ball, Beams and Swan. Idc if they get 30+ possessions if a significant portion of them are going to be bombs to a 2v1 which then allows Freo to launch huge counterattacks.

Fwiw Witts and Cloke don't deserve to be rated poorly on tonights game given the rubbish we served up to them.

Thought Grundy performed pretty admirably in the ruck against arguably the best player in the AFL. I'm a lot more confident that he'll hold up this season on that performance.

Langdon was excellent, I don't really understand how a player of his quality slips so low in the draft. On a night where over half the side couldn't take clean possession he can hold his head high.

You know I'm going to take a swipe at a senior player anyway. Dayne Beams your numbers around the contest were fantastic, however your lazy half arsed running when Freo were in possession was disgusting! There were other culprits out there tonight, but they either don't have the experience to know better or don't have the engine to keep up. You on the other hand deliberately cheat. It's sad to see from a supporters perspective...

If you guys had a few more players like Beams you would have finished a hell of a lot closer, Beams also had 9 tackles, I think he was your best player, players like Maxwell, Clarke, Toovey, Goldsack, Adams, Macaffer let you down big time.

Langdon surprisingly good, only highlight of the night.
Think people are a tad harsh on Frost, though he actually committed himself quite well, did some good things and the Freo bigger forwards didn't dominate.
Negat
ives for me Maxwell - contributes absolutely nothing these days except leadership.
Clarke was very disappointing tonight and should be banished (no pace anymore and has lost all confidence, run and carry sadly)
Goldsack relies too much on being a bit part player and can't be depended on to offer much.
Sinclair scragger for mine and limited talent shows up against the better sides.
Adams and Witts both have talent in their own fields but lack maturity.
To be honest I was incredibly annoyed with the kicking skills of so called seniors especially Ball very ordinary if you watch, no way a b game for mine, been great player but certainly doesn't offer much with his footskills.
Feel sorry for Trav, never has there been a bigger weight on his shoulders.
Really miss Williams drive more than anybody I thought.
White and one leg Reid would no doubt help, lotssssss of work to do.
Could be a very long year.

I thought Sinclair gave us a great attacking game and his skills were above average, Langdon was easily our best defender and may have locked in his rising star nomination and spot on our side for this season. Struggling to find positives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you guys had a few more players like Beams you would have finished a hell of a lot closer, Beams also had 9 tackles, I think he was your best player, players like Maxwell, Clarke, Toovey, Goldsack, Adams, Macaffer let you down big time.
Well perhaps when we get White Reid Williams Thomas Blair Dwyer Seedsman Fasolo Keeffe back they won't get a game

Individually the only player you judge on this performance is Langdon. He showed signs and was the only guy who played from siren to siren which is really pleasing. Some of his kicks were poor along with his kicking decisions so it wasn't the perfect performance and there is plenty he needs to work to improve. He started out with two poor long kicks to packs. He also had various other poor kicks direct to Fremantle players but then some other nice kicks and a notable kick into the forward 50 where he lowered his eyes and found Ball in traffic which impressed me so a mixed bag at this point and you'd hope he looks to improve this as there are few options down back at the moment who can use the footy. He showed signs that he can take an intercept mark. He won some key 1v1s. And felt like he had the pace of the game down. So he can hold down a position long term with further performance and further individual development.

Otherwise the most important thing to note is the term performance. The concern is defensively - poor defensive transition running (is this the 1999 Magpies?), poor pressure around the ball and no ability by the defenders to get stops (which is expected with an inexperienced back half with key personnel missing). The old school Malthouse around the boundary helped in so much as it gave the midfielders more time to get back and support the back half but under a more corridor centric Buckley team it requires much better two way running. Additionally the set ups behind the ball both from opposition kickouts and in general play need to be much better.

The team in many ways has a feel of the Pies before Mick instilled a sense of team in them in 2001/2002. The midfield play as a group of individuals who want to find their own footy and the rest of the team just look average around them. With the way our midfield play with the extra around the ball you NEED an all star back half with stars at each position who will beat their man 1v1 every time, intercept and rebound to an elite standard which would require some incredible recruiting over future seasons.

Our score for doesn't concern me so much. It just reflects the importance of having Reid and White in the same from half to support Cloke with our current forward structure which would have exposed Zac Dawson and would have forced M.Johnson to play a more accountable game. Cloke isn't out of form, he kicked 6 goals in a half on Gold Coast the other week. He just got McPharlin who along with Harry Taylor and Darren Glass is one of the three in my mind elite key defenders of the competition and with some good team support to help McPharlin on Cloke, Cloke stood no chance with the quality of entry also not great.

You can't promise that.. only the footy gods can.. and Lethal wasn't a premiership coach when WC walloped us

So what? He was a premiership player who had a footy brain. I'd argue his list was not as good as the list Buckley inherited. So far buckley has r*ped and dismantled it with his piece of shit game plan. He set records tonight ffs. I know this is harsh but so many of you need to take off your black and white sunnies mate theres no light at the end of this tunnel

Well perhaps when we get White Reid Williams Thomas Blair Dwyer Seedsman Fasolo Keeffe back they won't get a game

I wasn't having a go at these players, I just thought Beams was excellent and Scodog10 gave Beams a real backhander when the players I mentioned were the ones who deserve the backhander.
Beams is a bloody gun.

Keeffe, Dwyer, Thomas, Seedsman and Fasolo aren't that good. Blair is just about done as an AFL player as well. White and Reid are the only two who would make a difference.

I thought both Sinclair and Goldsack were among our better players tonight.. funny how we can watch the same game and come to completely different opinions about their performances. Nathan Brown and Beams were also good. I was disappointed with Adams, Witts was just horrible, Ball was very ordinary, Cloke had a shocker and Jamie Elliot needs to be dropped.. puts on no pressure and shirks too many issues.. thought his performance was completely unacceptable and of the type that needs to be made an example of.

Dayne Beams your numbers around the contest were fantastic, however your lazy half arsed running when Freo were in possession was disgusting! There were other culprits out there tonight, but they either don't have the experience to know better or don't have the engine to keep up. You on the other hand deliberately cheat. It's sad to see from a supporters perspective...
Agree....a fantastic offensive player, but doesn't run hard the other way at all...people giving him an A don't understand why we lost so badly.

I thought Sinclair gave us a great attacking game and his skills were above average, Langdon was easily our best defender and may have locked in his rising star nomination and spot on our side for this season. Struggling to find positives.

Cannot disagree more with you about Sinclair. It was so infuriating to see him leave his man time after time only to not influence the marking contest and then to get caught out. He wasn't alone but his mistakes often put the rest of the backline under more pressure and I thought his disposal was panicked.

Its a bit disappointing that the best two backmen were youngsters. Frost and especially Langdon showed something, Maxwell is surely gone soon

I thought both Sinclair and Goldsack were among our better players tonight.. funny how we can watch the same game and come to completely different opinions about their performances. Nathan Brown and Beams were also good. I was disappointed with Adams, Witts was just horrible, Ball was very ordinary, Cloke had a shocker and Jamie Elliot needs to be dropped.. puts on no pressure and shirks too many issues.. thought his performance was completely unacceptable and of the type that needs to be made an example of.

Sinkers was ok, but I don't see Witts performance as horrible, more as raw and inexperienced. We have to persist with him, he will pay off. Grundy also battled on manfully. But the highlight for me - probably not a good choice of words given the game - was Langdon. Didn't look out of place at all, has poise and composure. I think we have a keeper.

Fourth game in a row where we conceded more than 100 pts, ugh.

For the followers of the cult of Seedsman, he was at the game. Has a kind if aura as he glides past....

Were you at the game? Watch the replay because of those 9 I would be very nay 100% confident that they all came at the contest.

No one would ever ever question Beams ability when the ball is in tight and the effect he has on the game from that stand point, but his work to cover for teammates, clog the outlet space and apply referred pressure are pathetic!

You're also spot on that he wasn't the only culprit. I saw all of Elliott, Adams, Macaffer, Cloke and Lumumba not give it there all going the other way or cheat to get the cheapie over the top, but on the flip side none of them do it to the extent of Beams.

I'm not sitting back and saying he needs to go or anything of the sort. The point I'm attempting to get across is that as a group we aren't going to move forward when arguably our best mid can't do the team things when it matters most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Review vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back