players BBQ tomorrow

Remove this Banner Ad

you've mentioned this twice, pls explain to those unable to attend ;)

He had this manbag thing - sort of a backpack, bumbag, postman's satchel hanging around his neck and over one shoulder. Still not as disco camp metrosexual as the outfit Brad Moran was wearing.

Gossip from today is that Simmo still has OP and wont play that much in the midfield.

Hansen will wear number 26.

Leigh Brown looks very trim, but the first thing that came in to most people minds when they saw him was "Forest Gump". His facial hair and overgrown hair made you want to say "Run Forest Run", let's hope that he can start to repay the NMFC. He can do whatever he wants with his hairstyle and appearance, as long as he performs on matchday.

Colby & Corey McKernan were there today, as was Perry, Chad Jones & Schwarze.

Not a close look, it took my most of the day to spot him. Care to fill me in?

Also, further to VS' post, was Ash Watson there too?

Didn't see Ash Watson.

The Wellsy t-shirt had an illustrated near-naked woman with her nipples covered by gold adidas logos. Obviously a sponsorship deal.

Interesting that not a single player had any club gear on (other than the odd cap when in the sun). They must relish every chance to where a colour other than royal blue.

Didn't see Ash Watson.

The Wellsy t-shirt had an illustrated near-naked woman with her nipples covered by gold adidas logos. Obviously a sponsorship deal.

Interesting that not a single player had any club gear on (other than the odd cap when in the sun). They must relish every chance to where a colour other than royal blue.
Liking Wellsy's work here.

I really enjoyed the day too, even if my attempt to grab a snag or burger almost lead to having ten plastic forks inserted into my hand!!!! It was a s***fight around the meat trays! Gibbo was playing up the fact by a great impression of a seagull's squawk as he delivered a couple of trays.

I had a lengthy chat to a few of the new blokes, and a few of the older one's too.

Edwards will be wearing the NMFC cherished number 27.

The older players haven't gotten to know the new guys too much yet, as they'd only been at the club since Wednesday.

Hansen is loving it. He's been shocked at the intensity of training, especially when the SAS bloke took over and had them immediately drop and do 80 pushups. He's also found the boxing pretty full on, even though they've only been training on how to box correctly etc. This week they get into that more seriously and they'll only be pitted against the other newer blokes................something Aaron Edwards reckons is great as he's been boxing for years at the Weagles and will probably teach the kids a few lessons.

On Edwards, his injury near the end of the VFL year was a torn Posterior Cruciate and, after having it in a brace for awhile and hence avoiding an operation, he's just getting into the full swing of pre season training now.

Re. pre season: They'll be going hard at it till the 20th December, before having a break over Christmas.

I expect Moran to have a big role to play this year. He HATES with a passion being constantly referred to as a "project player". I suggested to him that he could divert that name to Todd Goldstein now. Brad's absolutely fired up for a big year. His confidence grew alot this year when he'd play against, and beat easily, ruckmen in the VFL who'd played AFL. He reckons his fitness is his greatest strength.

Urquart (sp?) seems like a top fella. He's down from Coorparoo, in Brisbane, and rapt to be drafted by the Roos. He does look young but he has a very firm handshake and seems like another who's totally lacking any ego. I know sweet FA about him as a footballer but as a person......good signing!

Thomas is possibly the quietest recruit to land at Arden St in years. He hung out with Wellsy, Eddie and Djaran and seemed nervous about the attention. He seems a very humble bloke.

Ben Warren looked like a Swedish backpacker who'd caught the smell of a BBQ and thought it'd be a great chance for a cheap feed.

Todd Goldstein stuck by his girlfriend for most of the day. She obviously didn't dress him up for the occasion as he strode around in his oldest pair of black tracky dacks, old t-shirt and thongs.

Sam Jacobs is training with us, along with the Vic Metro captain Adams, in the hope of gaining a rookie spot.

Hansen was amazed that Adams wasn't drafted and reckons he'd be a sensational pickup.

Wellsy was very happy with his year as he had very specific roles to perform, all of which he acheived to the coaching panel's satisfaction. He was almost defensive when I asked if his body was back to 100% after this year. I could tell that he's sick of copping it for being too unselfish or for being perceived as not putting in. Having met Wellsy initially at the first players' BBQ, after we'd just drafted him, and speaking to him on and off ever since, he's alot more self assured and grown up than back then. This guy could be a future captain. HE WILL NEVER LEAVE NORTH MELBOURNE either. That speculation also pisses him off. He's loving Melbourne and it well and truly home...............just ask him yourself!

Edwards is very proud of his Samoan heritage, hence the tatt on his forearm, and he will be doing everthing he can to shore up a career with the Roos. He said he was about 5th in line for a spot on the Weagles' forward line and that ultimately his spot was taken by Sampi. He's rapt to be at the Roos, and he grew up supporting the Tigers, as did Hansen.

Eddie fully realises the pressure that's on him to make it this year. He's training the house down, in both running (which he's dominating) and weights (in which he's now one of the strongest on the list). I had a good chat with him and, personally, I hope he can make it and silence the naysayers.

Thomas will be wearing number 44 BTW. When he said that, Wellsy pointed out "Shannon Motlop's old number".

Speaking of the brothers.................they still speak to Junior, once or twice a month, and keep in regular contact with Aaron Davey. Wellsy reckons that at the end of the day, as much as he would have loved to play along side him at the Roos, Aaron's move to the Demons has been for the best, with the way things have turned out.

Ash Watson and Colby were definitely there.

Joel Perry will be working his a*** off till Tuesday week, in the hope of being either re-drafted or drafted elsewhere. I hope we re-draft him, after having a chat to the bloke.

I purchased some more player gear on the cheap as well, and had a great day.

I didn't win the raffle either.

I spoke to many other players, about alot of stuff, but can't think of it right now.

BRING ON 2007!!!!!!!!! We WILL be back!

T'toes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:D It was the best day. We had an awesome time and all the new recruits are really nice especially Lachie Hansen. We had a great time with him, he so groovy and out there. Gavin urquhart is a bit fruity, Ben warren is a bit quiet, Todd Goldstein was barely around cause he had his girlfriend with him and Lindsay thomas is very quiet. But Lachie and Gavin are really cool dudes and we had a great day with them. All round i reckon it was a really awesome day!!!:thumbsu:

Thanks Twinkletoes for your fabulous report on Sunday's bbq at Arden Street.
Bring on 2007, the spirit down at Arden St. really seems to be high and positive.
I heard Glen Archer interviewed on SEN while he was down there on Sunday and this was the first I knew about the day. But I would very much appreciate if someone could inform me how word of this function was spread, I knew nothing about it and saw nothing on the roo website.

I renewed my Platinum membership on Friday by phone and it could have been a good idea for the function to have been mentioned to me at that time.

It's not a 'club function' as such, thats probly why no one from the club mentioned it or why it wasn't on the website. It is a function run by the players not the club.

Thanks HaRr04 for your prompt response much appreciated.
But I gather that it is not really meant to be for supporters only if you happen to know a player etc., would that be right?
Perhaps this type of bbq is what the club needs for supporters, especially fence sitter supporters, this informal type of player gathering could decide whether an extra membership is signed up or lost. A gathering and mingling with the players and supporters at their beloved Arden Street making people feel the spirit of the club etc. really could entice fence sitters to sign up. I feel that some people like and need to have up close and personal viewings and chats with the players to feel part of the club especially in a relaxed informal gathering as I feel this bbq was.

But I gather that it is not really meant to be for supporters only if you happen to know a player etc., would that be right?
Perhaps this type of bbq is what the club needs for supporters, especially fence sitter supporters, this informal type of player gathering could decide whether an extra membership is signed up or lost. A gathering and mingling with the players and supporters at their beloved Arden Street making people feel the spirit of the club etc. really could entice fence sitters to sign up. I feel that some people like and need to have up close and personal viewings and chats with the players to feel part of the club especially in a relaxed informal gathering as I feel this bbq was.

I suppose if you know a player it helps because they come directly to you and sell the tickets...although obviously many supporters know about the day and most players sell there tickets through the roo shop, thats how i got tickets a couple of years back. So if people who arn't able to get tickets through a player can always call the rooshop and im sure you would be able to get them through there. I see what your saying about it being a good opportunity to get more members an great day to mix with the players but i still can't see the club advertising the day as it i dont think will ever be a club event rather than an event held by the players.

HaRr04's on the money there kangalover. It's a shame you didn't know about it and I agree with your assessment of what it could do for the "fence sitters".

I suggest you mark in your 2007 diary to start asking both here and at the Roo Shop around next September for "what's the story with the players' BBQ tickets for this year?" You'll definitely get some.

This year I asked my plumber, who I know is a Roos lover from way back, if he'd like to go to it. I told him all about the day and suggested it'd be great to take his son and dad along. He did, as well as his wife. They absolutely loved it. The smile on his son's face was a mile wide as he made his way around to all the players getting them to all sign one of the player's cheap jumpers which his dad had bought him. The plumber enjoyed meeting all the new kids and getting to know some of the regular players' a little more personally, and in a relaxed environment, too.

It's a bloody good day and you really do get to know the human side of some of these blokes. From the stands it's so easy to form opinions but hell it's amazing how different your perceptions can be once you are able to recall that indepth chat you had with one of the guys at the BBQ.

Get along next year and bring along other Roos supporters too. The more the merrier! It's a day where the phrase "you get out of it what you're willing to put into it" is absolutely appropriate. Get around and say "g'day" to ALL of the players and you will indeed feel even more connected with our great club!!

See you there in 2007 after we've made the finals kangalover!

T'toes

Remove this Banner Ad

players BBQ tomorrow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back