players who have won brownlows, nabs, afl grandfinals

Remove this Banner Ad

no chance in hell. hes built as a mid and will never play ff and win a coleman. ryan lonie has more chance...
I reckon he will play FF.

Interesting you say he's built as a mid, he's the biggest RR I've ever seen (194cm and 98kgs!), and IMO he won't be able to run that frame around like he does too many more seasons.

I'd have a $20 on it with you.

yer but id rather win the norm smith because it proves that you can play on the big stage. Plus the norm smith evokes that you are a better player and worthy of a higher title. ie Michael Gardner is never refered to as NAB rising star but Andrew Embley is always refered to as a Norm Smith Medal...

Ummm.. thats because Embley has won a Norm Smith Medal and Gardiner wassn't ever a NAB Rising Star.

pretty obvious.

Malcolm Blight...... Coleman 1982, Brownlow 1978, Premierships 75,77.

Tony Lockett is not the only player to win both these awards, and was not even the first, and Malcolm added a couple of premierships.

Corey McKernan Rising Star *( suspended inelligible)
Brownlow * (suspended inelligible)
Premierships 96,99

Leigh Matthews

4 x Premiership Player (one as captain)
8 x Hawthorn B&F
1 x Coleman
1 x AFLPA MVP (inaugural winner and the award was re-named The Leigh Matthews Trophy in 2002.)

and finally...

1st and only AFL Player of the Century.:cool:

Lethal polled 202 Brownlow votes in his career and never won the award (most by any player without a Brownlow).

Joel Selwood.... 1 premiership, 1 rising star... at just 19... has the potential to become one of the most decorated AFL footballers of all time :D

Riewoldt could do alright if Saints ever win another prmiership in his playing days.

4x bf, Nab rising star, afl mvp now just needs a brownlow, coleman, norm smith etc etc :cool:

Another example of why the Brownlow's a joke. It's not for the best player, it's for the umpires favourite.

The actual makeup of awards seems lost on some people. If Matthews could control his mood swings and impulse to snipe on the paddock he likely would have won a Brownlow at some stage. Many considered him a sensational tough little rover/fp but a bit dirty nonetheless.

Matthews would be out half the season these days due to the sniping...he'd have even less chance at a Brownlow. Doesnt mean he was any lesser player but the award isnt for best on ground..its effectively best and fairest over an entire season for the whole competition. You can win your CLUB BnF even tho u had a few "incidents" during a season but unlikely u can win a Brownlow. NOT being reported or sniping on the field has always been kinda important.

I reckon he will play FF.

Interesting you say he's built as a mid, he's the biggest RR I've ever seen (194cm and 98kgs!), and IMO he won't be able to run that frame around like he does too many more seasons.

I'd have a $20 on it with you.

Most swans fans would agree with you too. At his size Goodes cant be expected to keep it going so eventually he'll settle into a key role and highly likely that'll be forward. He's proven himself as a key Back, key fwd, mobile ruck and rover and is the type that can kick 50-80 a season up fwd and be up there in the top 3 fwds.

Unlikely he could be a 100+ in a season type fwd though which it seems u need to do to have a slight chance at a Brownlow...but it means he could well be in the running for a Norm Smith to add to the list...as long as the TEAM is good enough to hand him that opportunity.

Shows u how much the TEAM contributes to SOME individual awards.

Without the TEAM being good enough for at least 2nd spot a Norm Smith Medal isnt even possible....but a Brownlow is. To me a Norm Smith is a bit more of a team award but not strictly so. A Norm Smith can be won by a lesser player that just pulls out a blinder on that one day.

Another example of why the Brownlow's a joke. It's not for the best player, it's for the umpires favourite.

Another person who simply misses the point with the brownlow.

Who cares that L.Mattews or Carey didn't win one.

They earnt their reputation over their entire careers, and performing in finals...the fact that they didn't have one season in isolation where they were viewed as having the best and fairest year by the umpires doesn't take anything away from the award, or their career.

One of the best players in each season always wins the brownlow, at the end of each season their it is very rare that one bloke is the unanimous choice for the best player in that year.

Leigh Matthews

Lethal polled 202 Brownlow votes in his career and never won the award (most by any player without a Brownlow).

That is a point that is clearly lost on so many people.

Lethal picked up heaps of votes, but he didn't have one season in isolation where he was on top....that is the nature of the award. Yet people waffle on like Lethal never got any votes at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

players who have won brownlows, nabs, afl grandfinals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back