Players who played there best game in a Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Sewell 08

Nah. Brad Sewell was good in '08 but had played better games and was no hack. He actually won the B&F the year before and made the AA squad on the back of a season of elite performances. Hell, I would say his 2012 Grand Finals was better:

33 disposals (#1 on ground), 19 contested (#1), 11 clearances (#1) and 11 tackles (#2). Game of his life and deserved the Norm Smith. Unfortunately, he had two quick kicks from stoppages in the last quarter that ended up as two behinds. A Clinton Young slip and a Malceski goal that floats through off the side of the boot down the other end meant game over and no Normie. Ripper contest and a game of inches sometimes.

If this has been done before i apologise and mods can delete.

What players have played there best ever game in the biggest game of all?

Some recent one's to kick things off:

2011: Hawkins (Arguably had similar games but given the Pods injury in the 2nd qtr ive put him in here)

To that point in his career: probably. But now? Not even close.

Glenn Freeborn 96
Shane Ellen 97
Troy Bond 97
Mitch morton 2012
Langford 2014
Tom Boyd 2016

2 superstars but potentially there best ever games
Gary Ablety Snr 89
Josh Kennedy 2016

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Ellen in '97

Greg Maddigan's 4 disposals in 89 won't go down in history. But he played in the greatest GF in Modern History. Def his highlight.
Shane Ellen's grand final is now embedded firmly in Crows folklore. Obscure leftover from the Western Bulldogs, had kicked just three goals from his 38 career games. On grand final day he kicked 5 (including 3 while playing at HB), but only kicked 8 more goals for the rest of his career.

Shane Ellen 97, close thread.

Aaron keating, 6 game afl career, played in 97 flag.

Can't remember how he went. Can't actually remember what he looks like.

Jamie Shanahan 1997...

It's a testament to Malcolm Blight's finals coaching at Adelaide how so many of the premiership players were absolute no-names.

This will surprise a lot of people but Josh Fraser in 2003.

18 contested possessions. (out of 23) Highest amount of his career. Freakishly only 2nd on ground to Simon Black. Since then only 1 player has bettered that number in a GF (Brad Sewell, 19) and only 3 others have equalled it (Kirk, Hayes, Fyfe).

14 clearances. Highest amount of his career. #1 on ground. No player has had that many in a GF since. To put into perspective for Pies supporters, Swan, Pendles, Beams, Didak, Ball, Daisy, Heater have never had that amount in 1 game.
If you were to look at the total combined 1905 games played by Rob Harvey, Michael Voss, Nathan Buckley, Mark Ricciutio, James Hird and Shane Crawford (the best midfielders of the era) that number is only bettered twice (Roo 16, Bucks 15)

4 contested marks Equal highest number of career. Highest on ground for Pies, Equal 2nd with J. Brown on ground.

23 disposals sixth highest of career, third on ground. Keating and Charman had 12 combined.

21 Hitouts career average of 11.82. Clearly Josh wasnt a great ruckman.....

1 goal well if 9 other pies that day had managed this we would have won...

Pity no-one is ever going to watch that game again....

Shane Ellen 97, close thread.

Aaron keating, 6 game afl career, played in 97 flag.

Can't remember how he went. Can't actually remember what he looks like.
Big helmet...take a look at the replay. Keating will be on the screen whenever they show a shot of the bench

Ted Richards, Gary Rohan, Kurt Tippett, Jarrod Mc Veigh, Ben Mc Glynn in 2016. I was amazed by their brilliance and desire to support their teamates.

Some humility in victory always goes a long way
Sorry Gavin. When I have been reading the pathetic posts on the Sydney board in relation to the Dogs win, it is hard to show humility towards their fans here. I saw you kick about 9 goals in a game once with that deadly left foot and as a kid I liked your style as a player!

Buddy's 2014 wasn't his best game but it was close to his best GF. Marked in fwd 50 when double teamed by Lake and Gibbo was a highlight. Stood up in a big way in that game

Of course I'm happy we won and I hated him but couldn't help but admire him and he was majorly targeted too

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who played there best game in a Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back