Players you are surprised are still on an AFL list

Remove this Banner Ad

How is cam Sutcliffe going at port. He was terrible at freo & suprised he was picked up again.
Probably recruited really only for the Magpies.

We lost all experience in our 2s so needed something. Could easily argue it worked out OK from that point of view given our kids development. I don't believe playing a team of 18yos would have done much for them.

Obviously not in our best 22 anymore.

Matt Eagles
He goes pretty decent in the 2's as I understand, and he is a character around the club - lots of positive culture from this guy.

I would not be surprised if they were to make room for him in the club admin in something to do with player welfare when his time is up, he's quite a positive figure.

He goes pretty decent in the 2's as I understand, and he is a character around the club - lots of positive culture from this guy.

I would not be surprised if they were to make room for him in the club admin in something to do with player welfare when his time is up, he's quite a positive figure.
You’d have to assume so given how long he’s had. Probably a ripping bloke.

Potting him would be saying: "Goddamn, that's one bogan name".

Calling him a spud is stating a relevant fact.
It's not relevant.

This isn't a "who's a sh*t player thread", so it's not relevant. Unless you're genuinely surprised a top 10 draft pick is still on a list 2 years after being drafted, if that's the case then you're a moron.

Rory Thompson from Gold Coast. Hasn't played at all since 2018, like Peter Wright (who is younger and better and will be back) I forgot all about him.

Sam Reid is still kicking around for GWS. Hasn't played this season but after playing every game last year is now on 90 games after debuting in 2008.
What makes you think Wright is better and will be back? He's useless.

It's not relevant.

This isn't a "who's a sh*t player thread", so it's not relevant. Unless you're genuinely surprised a top 10 draft pick is still on a list 2 years after being drafted, if that's the case then you're a moron.
Yes I am genuinely surprised he made it to an AFL list in the first place.

Darren Minchington for sure. Looked decent at times for us early on but never did much when he got a chance at AFL level. When he was delisted in 2017 he was probably fortunate it wasn't sooner (probably helped how poor our list was over those years). Was a bit surprised the Hawks picked him up as depth, but assumed he was delisted at then end of 2018.

Imagine my shock when I check the teams list a couple games ago and he's been named for the Hawks after not playing at AFL level for 2.5 years. He's now up to 30 games across 8 seasons in the league. Good on him for sticking around I guess :thumbsu:

Probably won't be popular but......

Bryce Gibbs
Eddie Betts
Majak Daw
Will Scofield
Francis Watson
Mitch McGovern
Dayne Beams
Cam MccArthy
Stephen Hill
Tom Bellchambers
Shaun Burgoyne
Jon Patton
Harley Bennell
Jack Watts
Dan Hannebery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darren Minchington for sure. Looked decent at times for us early on but never did much when he got a chance at AFL level. When he was delisted in 2017 he was probably fortunate it wasn't sooner (probably helped how poor our list was over those years). Was a bit surprised the Hawks picked him up as depth, but assumed he was delisted at then end of 2018.

Imagine my shock when I check the teams list a couple games ago and he's been named for the Hawks after not playing at AFL level for 2.5 years. He's now up to 30 games across 8 seasons in the league. Good on him for sticking around I guess :thumbsu:

Minch has been riddled with injury most of his career, kudos for his perseverance, yet another 'Hawks project player' - and to be blunt, I've really no idea why our club recruit all the 'Humpty Dumptys' going around - won't be long before we start sourcing random blokes surviving car accidents; "You play footy mate?', "oh good, rightio just sign here"....

Last edited:
Rory Thompson from Gold Coast. Hasn't played at all since 2018, like Peter Wright (who is younger and better and will be back) I forgot all about him.

Sam Reid is still kicking around for GWS. Hasn't played this season but after playing every game last year is now on 90 games after debuting in 2008.
Bit rough on Thompson, he ruptured his ACL start of last year and then had a minor setback at the start of this year. Back playing this weekend.

Also Thompson is a pure lockdown defender and Wright is a forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Players you are surprised are still on an AFL list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back