Players you are surprised are still on an AFL list

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Tom Campbell is a late in for the Saints this evening.

Three clubs, and now in his 13th season on an AFL list, playing his 57th game and first since 2022.
He does his job as the VFL ruck who sometimes plays AFL footy.

Its not the most glamorous role in footy but its a good role to have.

Darragh Joyce

Matthew Allison perhaps. Yes he's had injury problems but he's never really shown that much, even at the lower level.

From those exposed at the top level. From my own side, Tom Cole. Sure he has a crack but that's it. It's not enough.

Matthew Allison perhaps. Yes he's had injury problems but he's never really shown that much, even at the lower level.

From those exposed at the top level. From my own side, Tom Cole. Sure he has a crack but that's it. It's not enough.
I’m thinking the Darch has to be on the cards!

Ross Lyon. Continually creates smokescreens (father sons/injuries/academies etc) to try and camouflage his teams dour approach. Fawning media lap it up. More and more people are starting to wise up that your goofy uncle routine is just a ploy.

Not a player I know but more important than any one list spot player.

I didn't think Will Hoskin-Elliot would last this long.

Feels like yesterday that he was traded to Collingwood but it was 7 years ago.

He's just been a notoriously 'there abouts' player with the odd spike game that still doesn't reach super lofty heights.

Hasn't kicked more than 20 goals in a season since 2018.

Played 47 games across 2022 and 2023 (including a premiership) for an average of 13 disposals, 2 tackles and half a goal a game.

For a slightly built flanker he's done amazingly well to play 200 games with only one strong season (2018 where he kicked 42 goals) to really show for it.
Hasnt been great statisticslly but runs all day and has a great burst of speed. Been quite good this year. Mr Fix it. Plays almost anywhere. Been playing backline and as an improv full forward. Role player.

I think "almost" players like WHE are often unfairly maligned. He's athletically gifted and the glimpses of the mercurial we get make us pose the question, 'why can't do that all the time?'.
He always was (and still is) AFL standard - even if he'll never put it all together and become the star his highlight package may suggest he is.

Sam Reid has retired from AFL Football today.

Today I learnt this didn't occur last year. When I was also surprised to learn he hadn't retired after the 2022 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Durdin

Weren’t you guys completely decimated with KPD injuries and he got a spot in the MSD?

Did he then do okay in one game and stole a contract extension based on that?
3 games in 3 years. We got a few of these players on our list that shouldn't be there.
Marchbank
Martin
Durdin
Cunningham
Can count on both hands the amount of games these 4 have played this year, collectively

Weren’t you guys completely decimated with KPD injuries and he got a spot in the MSD?

Did he then do okay in one game and stole a contract extension based on that?

Not really. We kept the always injured Marchbank as our backup key defender, because we couldn't rely on the always injured McGovern, and kept the always injured Durdin as backup for Marchbank. Taking a chance that they won't all be injured at the same time, seems to be easier than recruiting another tall defender.

And then there is Lewis Young who is mostly always fit but ... he's Lewis Young.

Big day today with Walking Injury Sam Reid officially pulling the pin….despite strong speculation that this actually occurred over 5 years ago.

He has of course managed to re-injure himself and retired effective immediately - which means he won’t be suiting up for the Swans this year - unless they make the Grand Final and want to go into the game a man down again.

Big day today with Walking Injury Sam Reid officially pulling the pin….despite strong speculation that this actually occurred over 5 years ago.

He has of course managed to re-injure himself and retired effective immediately - which means he won’t be suiting up for the Swans this year - unless they make the Grand Final and want to go into the game a man down again.

Poor bastard just could never get his body right. He was a very handy player when given a consistent injury free run as we saw in 2022 up until his injury in the prelim.

But yeah, opposition fans could be forgiven for thinking he'd retired 10 years ago. Will retire a premiership player at least I guess.

Levi casboult. I thought he retired in 2018!?

Haha yes you're right! I wonder if he's even been any good up at the gold coast.
35 goals from 21 games 2022 is a good return, 24 goals from 20 games 2023 is meh, just the 3 games this season it appears he'd be done. He's on 198 games though so hopefully they give him two more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players you are surprised are still on an AFL list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back