Players you can NOT hate

Remove this Banner Ad

There was no way you could hate Modra, I wanted to adopt him and then have his children.

I like Cross and Boyd, they are both unassuming and just focused on doing their jobs. Hasleby seems like a bloke who would be hard to hate, but I probably don't see enough of him to judge.
I reckon people will find it hard to hate Cotchin over time, absolute professional and modest bloke, should be well liked.

From Collingwood I would have thought people would have found it pretty hard to hate Jimmy Clement. Was great at what he did, went about it in the right way and never kicked up a fuss or saw the need to bring the light upon himself. I reckon this was really highlighted in how he retired from the game, complete gentleman.

Adelaide became my quasi "second team" when he was playing for them just because of him... Fremantle was a bit hard to come by though, but I still enjoyed him play even then.

As soon as I think of Modra, I always think of:
"that's the thing about, that's what I like about, yeah that's the thing about, the thing about FOOTBALL!!"

He always took that massive speccy at the end of the telecast montage when the game was finished. I loved it.

Who was the bloke who played around the Modra/Jarman era, out on a wing I think, and had the massive beard and long hair. Looked like a caveman.

I'm like you, these guys and also Rucciuto made me develop a long lasting affiliation to the Crows, they've subconsciously become a second team for me as well I reckon simply because of that era.

Here are some of mine that immediately come to mind.....

Current: Chris Judd, David Wirrpanda & Leo Barry.

Retired (that I've watched): Michael Voss, James Hird, David Schwarz, Paul Kelly, Tim Watson, Garry Wilson, Bruce Doull & Malcolm Blight.

If you asked this question 5 years ago, Richo wouldn't get a mention, how things change!!

A few that come to mind for me actually both Murphy's Robert from WB and Marc from Carlton and G Ablett Jr

Old school:

Ben Hart: Self-explanatory. A mate of mine (Adelaide fan) told me a story about the celebrations after the 1997 premiership. Things are getting pretty loose with all the supporters and the players are obviously getting hammered. After a couple of hours, Hart took the microphone and said words to the effect of "Thanks to everyone for coming out and showing your support. I'd just like to ask a favour of you. Anyone who drove in tonight, please put your car keys away now and pick up your car tomorrow, because we would be absolutely shattered to hear of any people getting in an accident because they were drink driving home from here." Pretty impressive level of maturity from a bloke who was 23 years old at the time.

Vossy, Harvey, Anthony Stevens, Paul Kelly, Nigel Lappin, Gavin Brown, Garry O'Donnell, Nathan Burke, anyone who had to play for Fitzroy in the mid-90's, Modra, Stynes.

Current day
Adelaide: Scott Thompson, Jason Porplyzia, Tyson Edwards
Brisbane: Simon Black, Daniel Bradshaw, Luke Power
Carlton: Chris Judd, Marc Murphy, Jarrad Waite
Collingwood: Simon Prestigiacomo, Scott Pendlebury, Dayne Swan
Essendon: Dustin Fletcher, Scott Lucas, David Hille
Fremantle: Paul Hasleby, Matthew Pavlich, Luke McPharlin
Geelong: Corey Enright, Jimmy Bartel, Brad Ottens
Hawthorn: Stewy Dew, Cyril Rioli, Brad Sewell
Kangaroos: Adam Simpson, Hamish McIntosh, Brady Rawlings
Melbourne: James McDonald, Matt Bate, Austin Wonaeamirri
Port Adelaide: Steve Salopek, David Rodan, Brendon Lade
Richmond: Matty Richardson, Mark Coughlan, Chris Newman
St.Kilda: Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball, Steven King
Sydney: Ryan O'Keefe, Craig Bolton, Darren Jolly
West Coast: Darren Glass, David Wirrpanda, Dean Cox
Western Bulldogs: Robert Murphy, Brian Lake, Lindsay Gilbee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As soon as I think of Modra, I always think of:
"that's the thing about, that's what I like about, yeah that's the thing about, the thing about FOOTBALL!!"

He always took that massive speccy at the end of the telecast montage when the game was finished. I loved it.

Who was the bloke who played around the Modra/Jarman era, out on a wing I think, and had the massive beard and long hair. Looked like a caveman.

I'm like you, these guys and also Rucciuto made me develop a long lasting affiliation to the Crows, they've subconsciously become a second team for me as well I reckon simply because of that era.

Simon tregenza?

A lot of this is pretty pointless because there would be so many players it's impossible to hate because they've never been in media spotlight, never had any huge games where they've been the sole person to destroy your team and never done anything particually special, they are just true hard-working afl players who don't get too much credit.

Ben Hart: Self-explanatory. A mate of mine (Adelaide fan) told me a story about the celebrations after the 1997 premiership. Things are getting pretty loose with all the supporters and the players are obviously getting hammered. After a couple of hours, Hart took the microphone and said words to the effect of "Thanks to everyone for coming out and showing your support. I'd just like to ask a favour of you. Anyone who drove in tonight, please put your car keys away now and pick up your car tomorrow, because we would be absolutely shattered to hear of any people getting in an accident because they were drink driving home from here." Pretty impressive level of maturity from a bloke who was 23 years old at the time.

That's absolute class. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Players you can NOT hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back