Players you thought were going to be elite but never got there

Remove this Banner Ad

Leading up to his draft I kept reading we were heavily into McCarthy as we needed a forward. We skipped on him and he went the very next pick.

Oh well, it seems that Cripps youngster we took instead turned out OK.

Back on topic I really liked the way Cieran Byrne went about it for the Blues. Good size and pace, decent kick and hard at it. Decent replacement for Touhy in both position and nationality. A couple of decent long term injuries and homesickness got the better of him.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not many bigger wastes of talent than McCarthy. Playing B grade ammos this year I hear.

Adam Saliba at the Cows in the Mid 90 had like 30 posies in first 2 games then fell off the face of the earth. Could of been anything

Also would’ve been nice to see Scott Hodges perform at AFL level the way he dominated the SANFL
Being a Cat fan we bloody well DID see him perform at AFL level, massacred Geelong with 11 goals in a 91-point Crow win late in the 1992 season at Football Park. But funnily enough the following year as mentioned in a previous post, Tony Modra emerged like a comet and Hodges i think just fell by the wayside.

Always thought Stringer was going to be something
He's had a good career(that isn't over yet) especially when you consider the horrible leg break he had in his draft year. 6x club leading goal scorer, all australian and premiership. Hasn't lived up to the hype but few rarely do. I think things get clouded by the fact he comes across as a bit of a w***er.

He's had a good career(that isn't over yet) especially when you consider the horrible leg break he had in his draft year. 6x club leading goal scorer, all australian and premiership. Hasn't lived up to the hype but few rarely do. I think things get clouded by the fact he comes across as a bit of a w***er.

Stringer has been a match-winner on his day, no doubt - as you say, perception can taint things sometimes.

His solitary goal in the 2016 GF alone justifies his whole career.

Most Geelong fans of a certain vintage would nominate the skillful-but-injury-prone Paul Lynch, who nearly announced himself a few times - and certainly played a handful of match-winning games for Geelong - before inevitably succumbing to another hamstring tear.

Damian Bourke would be the one player who I reckon had the capacity to dominate the competition if he'd only got some continuity into his football. He could have been Tom Harley before Tom Harley came along, if he'd just managed to get on the field a little more often.
He played some inspirational football in the ruck, just thumping the ball like a behemoth, but he'd just as often get injured and leave the side a man down early in a game. Frustrating player.

If we are talking players who never got there because of injury I would definitely have to nominate Anthony Morrabito. Big unit, sublimely skilled and as fast as the wind. Could have been an all time Freo great but ended up with only a handful of games and 3 ACLs in 3 years. One of the true hard luck stories I can recall.

I have a few family friends that support Melbourne and in the mid 2000s they genuinely believed Brock McLean was going to win a Brownlow one day.
I still to this day cannot fathom how his aversion to Melbourne's tanking saw him end up at Carlton. That's like leaving the Liberal Party and joining One Nation because you don't appreciate Peter Dutton's attitude to other cultures.

How good he was in the Dogs premiership was an anomaly. Too selfish and lazy to be a top end player. Has/had the tools just not the IQ points.

I thought Aaron Francis would be a star.

Kurt Tippet and Joe Daniher probably both had elite years, but weren’t able to sustain it. Guess Joe still has some time on his side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer has been a match-winner on his day, no doubt - as you say, perception can taint things sometimes.

His solitary goal in the 2016 GF alone justifies his whole career.

Most Geelong fans of a certain vintage would nominate the skillful-but-injury-prone Paul Lynch, who nearly announced himself a few times - and certainly played a handful of match-winning games for Geelong - before inevitably succumbing to another hamstring tear.

Damian Bourke would be the one player who I reckon had the capacity to dominate the competition if he'd only got some continuity into his football. He could have been Tom Harley before Tom Harley came along, if he'd just managed to get on the field a little more often.
He played some inspirational football in the ruck, just thumping the ball like a behemoth, but he'd just as often get injured and leave the side a man down early in a game. Frustrating player.
I remember reading an article about Damian Bourkes accumulated injuries. I’m surprised he managed to last as long as he did.

Dylan Shiel for me. Used to love him and saw his as a potential Top 5 player. As away off the mark as my choice of username…
I was rapt when we got Smedts for bugger all. Thought he was unlucky but just couldn't get into a great side.

We were both wrong.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liam Jurrah could have been anything.

He was definitely something, just not exactly what I'd envisioned.

I was optimistic when port picked him up, thinking he may thrive given a second chance

but not to be

I still to this day cannot fathom how his aversion to Melbourne's tanking saw him end up at Carlton. That's like leaving the Liberal Party and joining One Nation because you don't appreciate Peter Dutton's attitude to other cultures.
Almost as mindboggling as Carlton handing over pick 12 for him.

Lukas Marcovic.

Was rated top 3 as a 17 year old, had all the traits, had a few injuries and drifted to the rookie draft as a result. Never got his under-age form back
Lukas Markovic?

Could never question his effort, as he was an absolute trier, but was as slow as a wet week and a little undersized for a key position player. Skills just okay too, albeit wasn’t a dumb footballer.

You thought he was going to be elite?

Doc Wheildon could have been a champion.
Finished on 70 games and had that natural talent you just can't teach.
How did it take 11 pages for this nomination to come through?

Doc would’ve been a star if not for that accident, wouldn’t have been easy as a mid-sized forward in that Fitzroy team.

Was what 24-25 when he joined Essendon? Add him to that already strong forward line they had then, would’ve been unstoppable.

Jonathan Hay.

For a while there, I thought he was going to be the greatest full back to ever play the game. His ability to read the play and mark in front of his immediate opponent was extraordinary. His 2001 season when he was named All-Australian was just incredible. Then it all fell away.

He's certainly had a good career. So much about greatness depends on where you play. He's been at two clubs without real KPP support allowing him to flourish as a third tall and then we've tried to make him become a mid late in his career. For a 10 week period in 2021 he was probably close to the most dangerous player in the comp, going at 20.7 touches, 6.2 clearances, 8.1 score involvements, 4 tackles, 2.5 goals and 1 assist a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players you thought were going to be elite but never got there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back