Elite V's Superelite

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you have in front of Curnow and Cameron? Both have won multiple Coleman medals and Cameron has been touted as best player in the league for the past season.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with his list, but it's far from terrible.

Not many key position defenders have been better than Andrews for the past few years either.
No, i'm saying Curnow and Cameron are the super elites.

Harris Andrews has been coasting by on name for years now. Weitering and Taylor both better.

In no order

On current form

Super Elite

Naicos
Bont
Curnow
Trac
Reid?

Career wise

Dusty
Hawkins
Pendlebury

Elite would just be the rest of the 44 man AA squad I guess

Harley Reid? In the super-elite top 5-8 players in the entire comp?

Geez, people are getting a bit carried away. I've heard talk of AA and on the radio, they were saying if we picked a Victorian SOO side he would be one of the first picked...

I get that he is a first year player that looks super exciting but can we all take a collective deep breath?

So far, he has been considered best on ground once in his entire career (against Melbourne). He has been rated (by the coaches) in the top 5-10 players on the ground just 3 times.

He has had 22 or more disposals in an AFL game once. He is not ranked in the top 30 of any single category (coaches votes, media votes, player ratings, possessions, goals, clearances, tackles, etc.) let alone multiple categories like the real stars of the comp.

Don't get me wrong - he has looked super exciting and damaging for a first year player. I'm sure he will develop into a absolute gun of the competition but may we please stop pretending he is already in the best 5 players in the comp (he's had more quiet games than great ones so far, which is perfectly acceptable for a kid in his first season).

Disagree entirely.
Great, there's the entire point then. You disagree with OP and I disagree on Weitering completely.

I mean, if you solely went off this year alone, J.McGovern is miles ahead of anyone else.

Hasn't done it for years though, so wouldn't be in the conversation.

Harley Reid? In the super-elite top 5-8 players in the entire comp?

Geez, people are getting a bit carried away. I've heard talk of AA and on the radio, they were saying if we picked a Victorian SOO side he would be one of the first picked...

I get that he is a first year player that looks super exciting but can we all take a collective deep breath?

So far, he has been considered best on ground once in his entire career (against Melbourne). He has been rated (by the coaches) in the top 5-10 players on the ground just 3 times.

He has had 22 or more disposals in an AFL game once. He is not ranked in the top 30 of any single category (coaches votes, media votes, player ratings, possessions, goals, clearances, tackles, etc.) let alone multiple categories like the real stars of the comp.

Don't get me wrong - he has looked super exciting and damaging for a first year player. I'm sure he will develop into a absolute gun of the competition but may we please stop pretending he is already in the best 5 players in the comp (he's had more quiet games than great ones so far, which is perfectly acceptable for a kid in his first season).

I put the question mark as he is more about potential especially at his age.

He will be super elite imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half his career at Gold Coast sure was thrilling. I’m sure you watched all the games and replays. 🤣
Being a Richmond nuffie, I will forgive your troll attempt.

However, if one honestly cannot appreciate the career and pure skill of GAJ, then says more about that person's sad existence, then the little master himself.

Is and will for a very long time, be one of the greatest to pull on a boot.

Being a Richmond nuffie, I will forgive your troll attempt.

However, if one honestly cannot appreciate the career and pure skill of GAJ, then says more about that person's sad existence, then the little master himself.

Is and will for a very long time, be one of the greatest to pull on a boot.

Most of GAJs memories involve losing. Not my fault:

08 GF as his best final

Rotting at GC

Old man with second stint Geelong

Getting wrecked in his last game by us in a GF

That is objectively most of his career and it doesn’t wow me personally. He influenced the comp for about 2-3 seasons.

Super elite

Petracca - the most damaging mid in the comp

Other 7 I don’t know
Taylor, Gawn, bont and 4 others I guess
So damaging that Melbourne have been playing him half forward this year. Yeah I don't think so.

If we're talking midfielders the 3 best in my mind are Bontempelli, Nick Daicos and Patrick Cripps. It's no coincidence they are also the last Brownlow holder and the two that should have received the Brownlow last year (I don't recognise Lachie Neale's brownlow).

There is so much talk on every thread about how this player is elite and that player is elite.
We all have our favorite players and we are all bias to our opinions but they cannot all be elite.
Or can they?
If we were to say the top 5% constitutes elite status, then approx 40 players in the league is elite.
40 players can be very subjective, so yes an argument can be made for most players we may choose.

So what is better than elite? - Superelite (true fact, look it up)

I would assume that Super elite would be the top 1%, so eight players.

Off the top of my head, if I was to pick the Superelite of the comp, it would be (in alphabetical order)
Andrews
Bont
Butters
J. Cameron
Curnow
N. Daicos
Gawn
Taylor

Curious to who others think are the Superelite of the comp.
Butters & Daicos are elite not super at this point in time

Most of GAJs memories involve losing. Not my fault:

08 GF as his best final

Rotting at GC

Old man with second stint Geelong

Getting wrecked in his last game by us in a GF

That is objectively most of his career and it doesn’t wow me personally. He influenced the comp for about 2-3 seasons.
I know someone named Dusty that fits this sentence perfectly, yet you rate him as the second coming of Jesus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite V's Superelite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back