Playfair

Remove this Banner Ad

Playfair did ok today (there were certainly alot of worse performances from other Swans today) and he did show some good signs. He took a couple of really good contested marks which traditionally is one of the Swans weakest points (Swans dont take constest marks). If only we could teach him to kick straight he could turn out to be quite a good player.

We couldn't in the 6 years he was with us.

Playfair does have the right ingredients to be a reasonably decent player but unfortunately his kicking does let him down. Hopefully our coaching staff can succeed where the Geelong coaching staff have failed (though at the moment the Swans dont have a accurate kicking forward at all so it doesnt seem likely).

Playfair does have the right ingredients to be a reasonably decent player but unfortunately his kicking does let him down. Hopefully our coaching staff can succeed where the Geelong coaching staff have failed (though at the moment the Swans dont have a accurate kicking forward at all so it doesnt seem likely).

yeah he;s kicking is poor at times you would think he can be a decent player.
he is still young enough he had few reasonably good years in the early 2000's,l hope he dose well for you guys

Re: H Update

For anybody with a soft spot for Hank, there was an article in today's Canberra Times (can't find a link though sorry)

Played his first match for Swans 2s vs Eastlake in the ACTAFL on the weekend. Has been injured and this was his comeback

Kicked a goal and took about 6 grabs I think and got a few posi's. Swans lost by 3 goals at Manuka

Quoted as saying that the Cats guaranteed to redraft him if he wanted to stay but also offered to trade him to wherever he could get a game. Looking forward to playing seniors for Sydney now that he is fit

Somehow the Swans 2's are losing their matches in the ACTAFL. that's not a good sign for Sydney's depth!!

think you may be surprised at the depth of the act footy league - pretty close to the vfl really, in terms of quality of output, as opposed to available resources, so no surprise the other teams are competitive with sydney reserves.

the league includes country heavyweights like wagga that feed plenty of talent to the big game, which is why sydney 2s play there, instead of in the sydney afl premier league (which is a decent league itself, considering the miniscule pool of players and resources that supply it..!)

BUMP.

Saw bits and pieces of the Swans v Essedon on Sunday, and H looked to be doing okay. Took a couple of nice grabs on the lead and actually kicked straight 3 times. About the only decent thing the Bombres have going for them right now is Ryder at CHB, so it seems H had a quality opponent as well.
Noted GFC scholar Robert Walls even managed to find some praise for Henry in an Age article this morning, claiming it was among his career-best games.

BUMP.

Saw bits and pieces of the Swans v Essedon on Sunday, and H looked to be doing okay. Took a couple of nice grabs on the lead and actually kicked straight 3 times. About the only decent thing the Bombres have going for them right now is Ryder at CHB, so it seems H had a quality opponent as well.
Noted GFC scholar Robert Walls even managed to find some praise for Henry in an Age article this morning, claiming it was among his career-best games.

Here is the part of the article where Walls mentions Playfair

"Over six seasons, Marty Mattner played 98 games for the Crows. I loved his dash and dare as, obviously, did Roos. So he got him. In eight games for Sydney, Mattner hasn't missed a beat and is playing career-best football. Hoping to do the same will be Henry Playfair. As a Cat, the tall forward couldn't cut it, only 52 senior games in five years. On Sunday, he stripped for his new team for only the second time and played perhaps the best game of his career, with nine marks, three goals and three assists."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...ss-value/2008/05/19/1211182703236.html?page=2

---------------------------------------------------

I personally wasnt very excited about Playfair coming to the Swans but i have changed my tune as i think he could be quite a handy player as he is a excellent marker of the ball and his goal accuracy wasnt bad either. I think a Hall, O'Louglin and Playfair forward line could work rather well as Playfair could do quite well being a 3rd tall Forward and having the 3rd defender on him.

I personally wasnt very excited about Playfair coming to the Swans but i have changed my tune as i think he could be quite a handy player as he is a excellent marker of the ball and his goal accuracy wasnt bad either. I think a Hall, O'Louglin and Playfair forward line could work rather well as Playfair could do quite well being a 3rd tall Forward and having the 3rd defender on him.

You must've missed that first shot at goal he had...

one game dont maketh the player, his conversion was one of his many problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must've missed that first shot at goal he had...

No i saw that one. But i also saw the 3 goals he kicked and 1 of them looked rather difficult. When you look at the raw figures Playfair had 4 shots on goal and 3 of them went through the middle sticks. He also l=took a nice mark around 40 out from goals but instead of taking the shot he passed it to a teammate (Jolly i thnk) who was standing 5 metres from the goal posts where he kicked a easy goal.

Goal accuracy is Playfair's biggest problem but if he can become a half decent shot on goal (maybe a 60% strike rate) i will be happy to see him in the Swans forward line.

No i saw that one. But i also saw the 3 goals he kicked and 1 of them looked rather difficult. When you look at the raw figures Playfair had 4 shots on goal and 3 of them went through the middle sticks. He also l=took a nice mark around 40 out from goals but instead of taking the shot he passed it to a teammate (Jolly i thnk) who was standing 5 metres from the goal posts where he kicked a easy goal.

if that is the same mark then that was uncontested with no one in sight of him so not sure if it could be classified as nice, more a gimme.

career at geelong:

29 goals, 21 behinds = 58%

if that is the same mark then that was uncontested with no one in sight of him so not sure if it could be classified as nice, more a gimme.

Possibly as i cant really remember, though i can remember that he did take a couple of good contested marks.

career at geelong:

29 goals, 21 behinds = 58%

Career in Sydney

4 goals, 4 behinds = 50% (obviously)

Just can't help thinking back to the round 21 game against Port last year when H fumbled the ball in the last 10 secs and they crumbed it and kicked a goal to win the game.

Sydney was playing the worst defensive team in the league right now and he has a 'best game of his career'. Coincidence? I think not! When he produces those stats against the hawks, us, or Bulldogs then I will change my mind about him. But my opinion is he is looks a million bucks when the rest of the side is killing them, but when the pressure is on he just doesn't perform well.

Just can't help thinking back to the round 21 game against Port last year when H fumbled the ball in the last 10 secs and they crumbed it and kicked a goal to win the game.

Sydney was playing the worst defensive team in the league right now and he has a 'best game of his career'. Coincidence? I think not! When he produces those stats against the hawks, us, or Bulldogs then I will change my mind about him. But my opinion is he is looks a million bucks when the rest of the side is killing them, but when the pressure is on he just doesn't perform well.

To be fair though if he kicked straight he would have had a very good game against the Bulldogs in Round 7.

deja vu right there. But good luck with it.

With set shots it doesnt matter what team you are playing against so if he can kick straight against Essendon he should beable to shoot straight against harder teams. As you all know his contested marking ability has always been his strength so hopefully he can kick as straight against other teams as he did against Essendon afew days ago.

With set shots it doesnt matter what team you are playing against so if he can kick straight against Essendon he should beable to shoot straight against harder teams. As you all know his contested marking ability has always been his strength so hopefully he can kick as straight against other teams as he did against Essendon afew days ago.

cmon, his conversion at geelong was just over 50%, not sure of the amount of set shots but still not a good sign.

he has the charlie gardiners about him...looks like an all star and then goes and blows it all up.

Good on H, i hope he plays well.

Watching the game i saw him get a few kicks and his action looked a little different, looked like he dropped the ball down smoother guiding it for a tad longer with his hand ... i dunno maybe i can't remember his action from yesteryear but it looked like a perfectly normal AFL style kicking movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Playfair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back