PS4 PlayStation 4 News (Articles, Accessories and Everything Else)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do we think the system specs will change depending on what MS show (next month at GDC is the rumour for the 720)? Could be a reason why the PS4 itself wasnt shown, show the controller and a few games, give people a rough idea of specs and hope that MS come out and show everything to one up Sony and then use that info to decide on final specs?

Just a theory.

Sony yet to decide on the PS4s final design and saving the surprise for E3 probably more likely but i think they'll definitely take note of what MS is packing. Interesting months ahead.

Joystiq:"Here's everyone working on a PS4 game

That image from Sony's press conference failed to capture the breadth of the third-party support already planned for the console. After the event, Sony released a gigantic list of third-party developers and publishers signed on to work on PS4 games, organized by region.

There are a few surprises in the North American developer/publisher list. A quick onceover reveals the involvement of Armature Studios, the Austin-based company formed from Retro's leads; Bit.Trip developer Gaijin Games; N+ developer Metanet; Skullgirls' Lab Zero Games; Mark of the Ninja's Klei Entertainment, and even Retro City Rampage creator vBlank Entertainment.

Those are just some of the 47 North American companies – roughly 96 companies worldwide, including duplicates like Bethesda's North American and Japanese operations – working on something or other for PS4. That's not to say all the projects will be released. Remember Fifth Phantom Saga?

<JAPAN>
ACQUIRE Corp.
KADOKAWA SHOTEN CO., LTD.
ARC SYSTEM WORKS CO.,LTD.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
ARTDINK CORPORATION
LEVEL-5 Inc.
ASCII MEDIA WORKS Inc.
MAGES. Inc.
Bethesda Softworks, LLC
MarvelousAQL Inc.
CAPCOM
NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
Chara-Ani Corporation
NAMCO BANDAI Studios Inc.
CRAFTS & MEISTER CO.,LTD.
NIHON FALCOM CORPORATION
CyberConnect2 Co.,Ltd.
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
D3 PUBLISHER Inc.
O-TWO inc. (peakvox)
Dimps Corporation
PlatinumGames Inc.
Electronic Arts Inc.
SEGA Corporation
FromSoftware, Inc.
SPIKE CHUNSOFT Co.,Ltd.
GANBARION Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX Co., Ltd.
Genki Co., Ltd.
SystemSoft Alpha Corp.
Granzella Inc.
TECMO KOEI GAMES Co.,Ltd.
GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
TOSE CO., LTD.
GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc.
tri-Ace Inc.
GUST CO.,LTD.
Ubisoft Entertainment
IDEA FACTORY Co., Ltd.
WILL CO., LTD
IMAGEEPOCH INC.
XING Inc.
Index Corp.(ATLUS)
YUKE'S Co.,Ltd.
KADOKAWA GAMES,LTD.

45 companies in total
<ASIA>
BLUESIDE Inc.
Ratloop Asia Pte Ltd
Red Hare Studios
XPEC Entertainment Inc.

4 companies in total
<NORTH AMERICA>
17-Bit
JETPACK Interactive Entertainment Ltd.
5th Cell Media LLC
Klei Entertainment Inc.
Activision Publishing, Inc.
Lab Zero, Inc
Armature Studios
LucasArts, a Lucasfilm Ltd. company
Behaviour Interactive
Metanet Software Inc
Bethesda Softworks, LLC
Minority Media Inc.
Blind Squirrel Games®
Nicalis, Inc
Certain Affinity, Inc.
Panic Button, LLC
Darkside Game Studios, Inc.
Psyonix Studios, Inc.
Devolver Digital
Slant Six Games
©Disney
Sony Online Entertainment LLC
Double Fine Productions, Inc.
Spark Unlimited
Double Helix Games
Spry Fox LLC
DrinkBox Studios Inc.
SuperVillain Studios
Edge of Reality, Inc.
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Electronic Arts Inc.
Telltale, Inc.
FarSight Studios
Tribute Games Inc.
Gaijin Games, Inc.
Turtle Rock Studios, Inc.
Gearbox Software
Ubisoft Entertainment
HB Studios Multimedia
vBlank Entertainment Inc.
Heavy Iron Studios, Inc.
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Inc.
High Voltage Software, Inc.
WayForward Technologies, Inc.
inXile Entertainment Inc.
Zombie Studios, LLC
Iron Galaxy Studios, LLC

47 companies in total

<EUROPE / PAL>
4A Games
Kalyspo Media
505 Games
Laughing Jackal
Abstraction
Ludosity
Beatshapers
Mediatonic
Big Ant
Milestone
Big Bit
Mojang
BitComposer
Onmi Systems
Bloober Team S.A.
Prodigy Design
Boss Alien
Ripstone
Bugbear
Roll7
Cauldron
Ronimo
City Interactive
Rovio
Criterion Games
Shortround
Croteam
Sperasoft
Curve Studios
Sproing
Dakko Dakko Ltd
Stormbasic
Deck 13
Straight Right
Double Eleven
Targem
Eko Software
Tate
FatShark
Techland
Flying Wildhog
Tonika
Four Door Lemon
Torus Games
Frozenbyte
Vector Cell
FuturLab
Virtual Toys
Gaijin
Vlambeer
GHOST GAMES - AN EA STUDIO
Wizarbox
Green Hill Studios

Which ones HBK619... perhaps I'm having a brain fad, but I can't think of any... or perhaps I'm just thinking MMORPG type.
DC Universe Online and Free Realms are two (fwiw I've played neither, but definitely from what I've heard and seen there's no 'THIS NEEDS KB&M NOW!' sentiments).
So do we think the system specs will change depending on what MS show (next month at GDC is the rumour for the 720)? Could be a reason why the PS4 itself wasnt shown, show the controller and a few games, give people a rough idea of specs and hope that MS come out and show everything to one up Sony and then use that info to decide on final specs?

Just a theory.

Sony yet to decide on the PS4s final design and saving the surprise for E3 probably more likely but i think they'll definitely take note of what MS is packing. Interesting months ahead.
They've given final specs:
CPU
x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores

GPU
1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based

Memory
GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk Drive
Optical Drive (read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV

I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) ?AUX

Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)
Without blowing out price, these won't change and from what the leaked 360 specs are, they're better than the 360's.

The only reactionary thing that Sony did was up from 4GB RAM to 8GB.
Joystiq:"Here's everyone working on a PS4 game
<EUROPE / PAL>
Mojang
Mojang. Minecraft? Or Scrolls?

The Witcher 3 confirmed for PS4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...wild-hunt-confirmed-for-playstation-4-in-2014

CD Projekt Red has confirmed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for PlayStation 4 in 2014.

The Polish developer said the open world role-playing game will launch simultaneously on all high end consoles, guaranteeing release on the next Xbox.

"We were thrilled when asked, several months ago, to be one of the developers who were granted early access to the PlayStation 4," said studio boss Adam Badowski.

"It was an exciting moment to be invited to be in the company of other legendary developers like Bethesda, EA, LucasArts, Ubisoft or Activision as one of the teams working on titles shipping early in the PlayStation 4's lifecycle.

"Of course, we couldn't reveal any specifics about this to our fans, even though many journalists and forum members asked about when and how The Witcher might show up on Sony's console. After yesterday's PlayStation Meeting we can finally promise: The Witcher 3 is coming to the PlayStation 4.

"The new hardware gives us the opportunity to create something great. We are able to work with the new console from its birth and this allows our in-house REDengine 3 to push the graphical limits of what the PlayStation hardware can display. The console is fresh and has some innovative solutions that we're looking forward to using in our game."

Man I didnt realise Watch Dogs was going to be a Ps4 game, now I have to buy 1. I read here it was going to be launch title any chance we can buy it as a bundle on release?
Potentially there'll be bundles. But I'd expect Killzone over Watch Dogs purely because it's first party.

Watch Dogs will be on PS3 and 360 still too btw.

Here's the Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, etc.) tech demo of the old man's face. This was probably the most impressive tech demo of the meeting for me, just insane detail.

SNvMawK.jpg

Some detailed specs on the Controller, Camera, and PS4, a lot of which has probably already been posted.

PDF: https://secure.webassets.scea.com/p...sset/feb21/pdf/playstation4_specification.pdf

DualShock 4 Controller

External Dimensions Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Weight Approx. 210g (tentative)
Keys / Switches PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2/R3/L3, Right stick, Left stick, Touch Pad Button
Touch Pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
Motion Sensor Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
Other Features Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker
Ports USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack
Wireless communication Bluetooth® Ver2.1+EDR
Battery Type Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
Battery Voltage DC3.7V (tentative)
Battery Capacity 1000mAh (tentative)

Camera

External Dimensions Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth) (tentative)
Weight Approx. 183g (tentative)
Video Pixel (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
Video Frame Rate 1280x800 pixel @ 60fps, 640x400 pixel @ 120fps, 320x192 pixel @ 240fps
Video Format RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
Lens Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
Capture Range 30cm~∞
Field-of-View 85°
Microphone 4 Channel Microphone Array
Connection Type PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
Cable Length Approx. 2m (tentative)

PlayStation 4

Main Processor Single-chip custom processor
CPU x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores
GPU 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine
Memory GDDR5 8GB
HDD Built-in
Optical Drive (Read-only) Blu-ray 6xCAV, DVD 8xCAV
I/O Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0), AUX
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)
AV Output HDMI, Analog-AV out, Digital Output (optical)

Some detailed specs on the Controller, Camera, and PS4, a lot of which has probably already been posted.

PDF: https://secure.webassets.scea.com/p...sset/feb21/pdf/playstation4_specification.pdf

DualShock 4 Controller

External Dimensions Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Weight Approx. 210g (tentative)
Keys / Switches PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2/R3/L3, Right stick, Left stick, Touch Pad Button
Touch Pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
Motion Sensor Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
Other Features Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker
Ports USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack
Wireless communication Bluetooth® Ver2.1+EDR
Battery Type Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
Battery Voltage DC3.7V (tentative)
Battery Capacity 1000mAh (tentative)
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait...the X button is actually called 'Cross'? I have been living a lie.:(

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait...the X button is actually called 'Cross'? I have been living a lie.:(
I refuse to yield to propriety! The 'x' button it shall remain. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Project TITAN Predictions

- MMRPG - different IP than WoW, Diablo, Starcraft
- Simultaneous release on PC, PS4, 720
- One Game One World (PS4, 720 and PC players on the same servers)
- Subscription based ($10-15 per month) - billed as constant-DLC to console gamers (but PC gamers know what it really is)
- You need to purchase each copy if you want to play on different formats (e.g. PC enables you to play it on PC)
- Rewards system encouraging people to buy multiple copies (e.g. mounts, pets, etc, etc.)
- Real Life Auction House (similar to D3)
- Simplistic controls (perhaps too simplistic for PC gamers) but enables console users to connect a keyboard (no mouse)
- Combat that looks and feels real (you control weapon, it appears to legitimately strike opponent)
- Fully immersive PvP, PvP and PvPvE experiences

--

As for PS4 Vs 720.. A gut feeling that the developers have requested both consoles to have near exact specs. The consoles to be separated more by the exclusive IPs than anything tech-based.

As someone who logged over 100 hours in the multi of Killzone 2 and 3, finished both campaigns multiple times and on hardest etc I am not feeling Shadow Fall's gunplay at all.

I hope it's because this is just pre alpha/poor section whatever and they put the killzone back into it... because right now it plays too closely to any generic twitch piece of shit.

Killzone gunplay is peerless. It uses a sense of weight, heavy recoil, outstanding sound etc and along with the excellent AI, animation and feedback from bullets landing, blood effects etc it combines to give Killzone the most satisfying and visceral gunplay in the genre. Killzone 2 was a brutal, gritty trudge through enemy soil as you fought for every inch of ground against the fanatical Helghast.

It looks like a lot of this has been toned down in the demo shown. Brutal melee looked half finished. Recoil was almost non existent on that gun.. and don't get me started on the sound... was like it was shooting nails or something. Looks like they're bringing back secondary fire (good) but that gun was a piece of crap.

The setting has HEAPS of potential though (most likely to be pissed away for generic shit like all Killzone stories), I really.. really hope my fears are unfounded.

Project TITAN Predictions

- MMRPG - different IP than WoW, Diablo, Starcraft
- Simultaneous release on PC, PS4, 720
- One Game One World (PS4, 720 and PC players on the same servers)
- Subscription based ($10-15 per month) - billed as constant-DLC to console gamers (but PC gamers know what it really is)
- You need to purchase each copy if you want to play on different formats (e.g. PC enables you to play it on PC)
- Rewards system encouraging people to buy multiple copies (e.g. mounts, pets, etc, etc.)
- Real Life Auction House (similar to D3)
- Simplistic controls (perhaps too simplistic for PC gamers) but enables console users to connect a keyboard (no mouse)
- Combat that looks and feels real (you control weapon, it appears to legitimately strike opponent)
- Fully immersive PvP, PvP and PvPvE experiences

--

As for PS4 Vs 720.. A gut feeling that the developers have requested both consoles to have near exact specs. The consoles to be separated more by the exclusive IPs than anything tech-based.
Every major PvP/PvE guild would have a PC only requirement. Man I would hate to be some poor console bastard running into a macro'ed up mouse wielder with 40+ skills available at the touch of a button.

I wonder what the speaker on the controller will be used for? Audio obviously, but I wonder how it will be used? Surely that touch screen will be far too small to play games on it alone.
The video of Jimmy Fallon playing Killzone saw the Guerilla dev stating that the speaker would play Helghan radio messages and such out of the controller. So it's likely just another way to immerse yourself into the game. Could imagine some horror games using that speaker really well.

The touchpad isn't a screen, there's not going to be images on there. My bet is that it'll be menu/inventory navigation (very much like a mouse navigation, or just swipe navigation). The 2nd screen tech has been mentioned by Sony as being available on smart phones and tablets using the PlayStation app (where you will be able to view maps and see how others play certain areas, etc.).

Every major PvP/PvE guild would have a PC only requirement. Man I would hate to be some poor console bastard running into a macro'ed up mouse wielder with 40+ skills available at the touch of a button.

Not if Blizzard Diablo 3'd the crap out of it and designed the game with console controls in mind.

Jonathon Blow clarifies The Witness. Saying that it'll be a PS4 console timed exclusive, meaning that PC and other platforms will likely get a day and date release, but any other console won't be getting it for an unspecified amount of time. Stated that no money exchanged hands and the decision was based on Sony's focus on games, ease of development, as well as what he's seen of the leaked specs for the next MS console and what their perceived focus is going to be.

Source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/02/22/the-witness-is-a-timed-exclusive-for-ps4
Today Blow posted an update on the official site for The Witness, clarifying that the deal with Sony is only concerning consoles, and is only a timed exclusive. This means that The Witness is still free to come out at any point for PC and iOS, and after an undisclosed amount of time could come to the Wii U or Microsoft's next console. Blow also clarified that no money was involved in the deal to make it a timed exclusive. Blow further elaborated that, "I don’t have good communication with anyone at Microsoft right now, but all our technical people like the PS4 specs a lot more than the leaked Durango specs, and we like the positioning of the PS4 (it’s about games) more than what we perceive Microsoft’s positioning is going to be." Thus the PS4 port of The Witness came to be.

some more big news for the future the early Dev Kits, Alpha kits and possibly some others only had 1.5GB of usable graphics, recent kits have had more i dont know how much but not the full 8GB is usable i think i read somewhere the new ones have up to 4GB usable graphics, so this explains why Killzone is only going to run at 30fps and not 60fps. Imagine how nice the games will look at when they use 4-8GB of Graphics if Killzone is only using 1.5GB

Sony is set to start Mass Production of the PS4 in Q3 [July-Sep] and Sony getting the Power Supply and other parts sent to them Q2.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim...ction_of_PlayStation_4_in_Q3_2013_Report.html
i hope thats good news for Australia with chances of getting them this Christmas

Projected costs of the PS4
APU (CPU/GPU) - 85-90
8GB GDDR5 - 110-140
OS Chip (supposedly ARM based) - 12-18
Video encode/decode chip - 8-12
Blu-ray drive - 18-25
Hard drive - 38-50
I/O - 9-12
Wireless chip + antenna - 4
HDMI+HDCP - 11-15
Other - 25-35

Total - 320-401

Accessories:

DS4 - 18-30
PS4 Eye -$12-20
Mono headset - 3
Cabling/misc - 3

Unknown/Alpha:

Internal PSU - 25-55
Cooling - 20-38
Assembly - 13 (Based on being made in China, for made in Japan, make that ~ $45)

Total estimated system cost (no shipping and packaging) - $450-490
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48024393#post48024393

that is in USD, looks like they could sell for $450-$550 selling some at a loss. they will make most of the money off the games and will get some royalties from Microsoft if they use a Blu-ray drive in the next Xbox. and the cost does not include discounts for bulk buys just estimated wholesale cost

i would think a $550 and $650 price for Australia but could see them knock an extra $50 off each but we always get over charged.

DS4 "Near" Final design http://www.shacknews.com/article/77947/dualshock-4-is-near-final-design [I hope this means they will be 2 controllers 1 that has the current analog sticks and 1 that has the "Belly button" Analog sticks. i just dont like the look of the new sticks but might change my mind when i get to play with one some day.]
The PlayStation 4 announcement didn't show any of the console itself, but did show the redesigned controller. The DualShock 4 bears a lot in common with its predecessors, with a few tweaks like the touch pad and dedicated Share button. And while Sony isn't quite ready to call it the final design, it's close.

Sony Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida told Engadget that the controller is "near final" with some "small tweaks" yet to go. The console itself is "still in development in terms of final specs and design," which explains why we didn't see it.
Yoshida also pointed out that he favored giving those in attendance at the reveal event some hands-on time with the console, but says the hardware designers were uneasy with journalists finding "some detail" that isn't meant to be public just yet. He claimed that people will be able to start playing it "by E3, I think."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back