Please help me with “Cornflakes Thomas”

Remove this Banner Ad

kangeroojack

Draftee
Apr 17, 2003
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I hope anyone can clear something up for me.
I have recently noticed that Saint Kilda coach Grant Thomas is being referred to in some circles as “Cornflakes Thomas” why ???????
I do apologize in advance if this is not a term of endearment, and if it is fact a massive insult I am doubly sorry. However, I am clueless as to why he is called this and are what reasons such a nickname.
regards
Kangeroo Jack:confused: :confused: :confused:

Have you tried the "search" function?

I think it was coined in 2001, and they showed the piece on Talking Footy last year.

When Alves and Blight were coaching, Thomas was often in the coaches box, but the coach often got sick of his presence and tossed him out. The line went something like, "He's been tossed out of boxes so many times, we'll now refer to him as Cornflakes."

Originally posted by DaveW
I think it was coined in 2001, and they showed the piece on Talking Footy last year.

When Alves and Blight were coaching, Thomas was often in the coaches box, but the coach often got sick of his presence and tossed him out. The line went something like, "He's been tossed out of boxes so many times, we'll now refer to him as Cornflakes."

Patrick Smith annointed him Cornflakes, so I doubt it was TF thing. BTW, he actually likes it and has a box of Cornflakes on his desk.

"Cornflakes" real name is Grant. Smith gave him the breakfast-cereal moniker in a scathing column last year after committee-man Thomas took over from AFL legend Malcolm Blight as coach of St Kilda. Smith argued Thomas' presence had been instrumental in the departure of former Saints coach Stan Alves (the club's most successful coach in decades) after he began to appear -- uninvited -- in the coaches' box on match days. A similar thing began to happen with Blight. Neither Alves nor Blight wanted him to stay. Neither Alves nor Blight kept their jobs.

Smith therefore opined he should be dubbed "Cornflakes", so often was he tipped out boxes.

http://www.drivelwarehouse.com/gareth/archives/2002_04.html

Originally posted by kangeroojack
I hope anyone can clear something up for me.
I have recently noticed that Saint Kilda coach Grant Thomas is being referred to in some circles as “Cornflakes Thomas” why ???????
I do apologize in advance if this is not a term of endearment, and if it is fact a massive insult I am doubly sorry. However, I am clueless as to why he is called this and are what reasons such a nickname.
regards
Kangeroo Jack:confused: :confused: :confused:

Patrick Smith from the Australian gave Thomas this nickname.
Its because he`s been tossed out of more boxes than a truckload of cornflakes.
Timbo.

"Cornflakes" real name is Grant. Smith gave him the breakfast-cereal moniker in a scathing column last year after committee-man Thomas took over from AFL legend Malcolm Blight as coach of St Kilda. Smith argued Thomas' presence had been instrumental in the departure of former Saints coach Stan Alves (the club's most successful coach in decades) after he began to appear -- uninvited -- in the coaches' box on match days. A similar thing began to happen with Blight. Neither Alves nor Blight wanted him to stay. Neither Alves nor Blight kept their jobs.

Smith therefore opined he should be dubbed "Cornflakes", so often was he tipped out boxes.

LOL

I love it

go Cornflakes you big dud!!

Came from the celebrated St.Kilda hater the Australian newpaper hack eunuch Fatprick Smythe, in one of his typically unwitty articles. Calls him cornflakes as per above explanation.

Fatpryck thinks it is so witty he always calls Thomas Cornflakes in his articles. However when talking to Thomas never uses it as he is a gutless hack, who wouldn't know s.h.i.t. from clay.

Also calls Xavier Clarke, Xavier Tanner because he is a moron. Also got matty mcguires name wrong last week.

Predictably thinks St.kilda is wrong on the Capuano sacking, backs his fellow hack in Mother Theresa, thinks St.Kilda is wrong for having Brian Waldron in the coaches box, because, well no reason, just because it is St.Kilda.

the guy is a first rate moron.

My explanation is better and makes more sense:D

Using Smith logic, why not Sugar Thomas ?(which sounds like a pimp)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fatpryck conviently forgets that Timmy was talked out of resigning after one year by Thomas, and Timmy always said Thomas was nothing but helpful, but that wouldn't fit the story would it you fat heap of steaming excretia.

Originally posted by Joffaboy
Fatpryck conviently forgets that Timmy was talked out of resigning after one year by Thomas, and Timmy always said Thomas was nothing but helpful, but that wouldn't fit the story would it you fat heap of steaming excretia.
Yet another bad move by Thomas then? :D

(just trolling...)

Originally posted by karnaby
But a damn fine troll Dave :D :D

Hey if you can kick goals like that would you like a game for our mob?

You beat me to it.

Even as I typed the words I felt that line of argument was a little slender to say the least.

I suppose that was mistake enough for Corny never to get a job in football again :D

Originally posted by NakedDeadGuy
I thought it had something to do with him being a cereal coach killer.

& that's damned good too :D

Look, Dave has got CHF sewn up at the moment, but would you like a game on a flank?

Originally posted by Majjie
Yeah Daniher has coached his side to the finals a few times and a team to a Grand Final.

Something Thomas can only dream about.

Premiership count = 0. That's all that matters. Fact is Daniher would be sacked years end if the Dees weren't so stupid signing him up for that long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Please help me with “Cornflakes Thomas”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back