Pointless thing AFL does that irks me.

Remove this Banner Ad

August.

It's the biggest waste of time in the season. The top teams don't care, the bottom teams really don't care and the mid tier teams are alternating week to week between fighting to get knocked out in week 2 of the finals or tanking for draft picks pending the previous weeks results.

Play everyone once. Spread out a few byes per team, per season and be ****ing done with padding out the season with meaningless games.

Everyone wants each team to play each other twice. 22 rounds is the limit for me. Come end of season, I'm footied out. Would not be against a shortened season. 20 teams, 19 rounds.

August.

It's the biggest waste of time in the season. The top teams don't care, the bottom teams really don't care and the mid tier teams are alternating week to week between fighting to get knocked out in week 2 of the finals or tanking for draft picks pending the previous weeks results.

Play everyone once. Spread out a few byes per team, per season and be ******* done with padding out the season with meaningless games.

The August you hate would just be moved to July. It's only once teams can't make it or can't be knocked out do dead rubbers occur, they would just happen sooner.

Supporters have no voice to express what they want to see happen with the game.
That's how you know it's a private corporation protecting it's trademarks and not a people's game supported by the wishes of the paying public.

The August you hate would just be moved to July. It's only once teams can't make it or can't be knocked out do dead rubbers occur, they would just happen sooner.

Don't get me wrong August would still be rubbish, but at least the games would have bragging rights for the next 12 months!

Next year. They say it's 24 rounds in 25 weeks with 2 byes.
Why not just say 25 rounds in 25 weeks with 3 byes, 1 of which will be in the first 2 weeks?
Why can't the "split round" just be 2 separate rounds where everyone has a bye?

As I said in the title, it's pointless, but it still annoys me.

Well you couldn't have some teams getting more byes than others, that would be grossly unfair o_O

Marketing the sport itself as 'AFL' and surrendering the term 'football' completely to the FFA.

This. Embarrassing. I noticed this on the Fox Footy facebook page:

The Recruit will seek to find AFL players currently competing at a non-professional level who could have what it takes to play professionally.

If they're playing AFL at a non-professional level, they're not playing AFL are they? They're playing ****ing football!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No slider bar on their "Smart" Replay video feature. You can only skip forward by goals, behinds, free kicks, marks etc - you can't just pick the 5 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

The Smart replay feature won't go full screen on my TV when I go the go full screen button. It only goes about 2/3 size with black borders around the rest.

**** yes!!!

Not so bloody smart after all...

The score review system. They finally spent some money on it for the finals and then they would show 4 different camera angles, none which are relevant and replay the wrong part over and over. I hope the 3rd umpire wasn't watching the same vision as it was hopeless most of the time.
The reviews during the Carl v Syd final were hilarious - amateur hour at it's finest.

No representative footy.

Also the whole "circle of mates" football has become. The only people involved in commentary (bar a couple), the countless committees, reporters/columnists/media, judging panels, executive and managerial roles are filled by ex players. Now that isn't a problem, however there is a quite a number that cross into several areas at any one time that irks me.

For me it is hearing the same bloody "voice of football" for every promo and event for the last 15 years or more. Craig Wassisname.

Is it a job for life?

And if its not him, it's gripping suspense's Andrew bloody Demetriou doing his vaudeville act at the brownlow and the draft and so on ad infinitum

The fact that streaming radio pregame can be heard on some stations but not others online.

Their is no consistency to it and often the pregame is missed entirely when no blackout even exists.

Go Catters

Will give Melb the go ahead to waste millions of dollars, prop up GC-GWS & throw an extra shekel or two for the Swans but cuts off funding to WA country football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pointless thing AFL does that irks me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back