Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they clean house at the federal level too? I beg.
Nah Morrison and co are finally being revealed as the incompetent morons that many of of us have known they were for years. Arguably the worst financial managers we've had in government in my lifetime. Problem is the Labor party would only be a small step up so we're kind of in a lose-lose situation federally :(

Unfortunately Buswell was one of the very few intelligent people Barnett had to rely on in his government, which meant his large character flaws were tolerated and overlooked. He has a sharp mind but obviously a dud of a bloke.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I have no idea why people find that interesting. It's like saying watching grass grow is more interesting than watching paint dry. I guess it's just become entertainment for the masses, which explains why you get a comedian in charge. o_O
One of thing about the US Primaries & Presidential eleaction is that the elections are so drawn out, it has a lot of "drama" as candidates do well in some states but then move to others and get beat. It reminds you that the USA isn't a monolith: that places like Iowa are different from places like Nevada or South Carolina.
And if you watch a lot of YouTube (like I do) the range of political opinions is pretty damn diverse: much more so than here.
I'm not saying it is as exciting as sport, but then the AFL(M) hasn't starred yet!

Looks like it will be Trump v Biden unless Biden's dementia continues to advance rapidly.

Seeing as the footy is as good as canned for now, we've surely got some thoughts on the stimulus package?

Coronavirus and the bushfires have provided an excellent excuse for the government's mismanagement of the economy. We were on track for a recession before these events and now they've got an out.

Someone argue with me.

Seeing as the footy is as good as canned for now, we've surely got some thoughts on the stimulus package?

Coronavirus and the bushfires have provided an excellent excuse for the government's mismanagement of the economy. We were on track for a recession before these events and now they've got an out.

Someone argue with me.

The payments to newstart and pension recipients are good. The capital asset write off is silly. Will have no impact on labor and won’t help any business whether the storm.

Mcgowan making noise about payroll tax cuts is excellent. Realistically anything they can do to cut business costs to keep people employed is good.

The MP that said casuals won’t need to be paid extra or sick leave during the down turn is a muppet and clearly doesn’t realise (or doesn’t care) that the casualisation of the workforce has resulted in a class of working poor who are going to get smashed by this

The MP that said casuals won’t need to be paid extra or sick leave during the down turn is a muppet and clearly doesn’t realise (or doesn’t care) that the casualisation of the workforce has resulted in a class of working poor who are going to get smashed by this
Casuals don't get sick leave. In exchange they get paid more hourly. Nothing controversial about that. For casuals who do get sick they can apply for a sickness allowance from Centrelink.

Casuals don't get sick leave. In exchange they get paid more hourly. Nothing controversial about that. For casuals who do get sick they can apply for a sickness allowance from Centrelink.
The amount they’re paid more is negligible and they lose certainty and benefits.

Beside that is the issue of casuals who work the same hours week in week out to the point their is nothing ‘casual’ about their work. Those people will lose income due to terrible workplace legislation and regulation.

Also I would comment Centrelink takes months to process a payment and casuals are often loving pay check to pay check. The fact that you get your money back later isn’t much help when you’ve already lost ur rental cause you can’t pay it.

Casuals pay is approx $20 an hour. Very few work a full week. Shouldn't be a problem for them to put 20 % of their pay away for a rainy day. :rolleyes:
The minister is a fool that comes from a privileged background, a political animal that wouldn't know what going with out means.
The stupidity of his statement is that iff the workers can't pay their rent or feed themselves they will front up to work virus or not.
Good luck with getting sickness benefits out of centrelink, you obviously haven't had to deal with them

Casuals pay is approx $20 an hour. Very few work a full week. Shouldn't be a problem for them to put 20 % of their pay away for a rainy day. :rolleyes:
The minister is a fool that comes from a privileged background, a political animal that wouldn't know what going with out means.
The stupidity of his statement is that iff the workers can't pay their rent or feed themselves they will front up to work virus or not.
Good luck with getting sickness benefits out of centrelink, you obviously haven't had to deal with them

People get sick or injured and miss work all the time. Cold, flu, pneumonia, broken leg, now coronavirus. You'd hope people regularly save a bit for times like this but I know not everyone can. The one-week wait period to access sickness allowance has been waived to deal with coronavirus.

People get sick or injured and miss work all the time. Cold, flu, pneumonia, broken leg, now coronavirus. You'd hope people regularly save a bit for times like this but I know not everyone can. The one-week wait period to access sickness allowance has been waived to deal with coronavirus.

You don't save on casual rates, you survive.
The Libs have lived of the premise that labour stuffed the economy with their GFC bail out.
How are they going to spin that they have done exactly the same thing.
Karma is a bitch.

I'm sure everyone has breathed a sigh of relief after hearing Morrison's three point plan?:
  • Protect the health of Australians
  • Secure their jobs and livelihoods
  • Set Australia up to bounce back stronger
I think they may have missed an opportunity to go simpler with "Stop the Virus"
"Turn back the virus" may do the trick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ScoMo practically using the virus to save himself from the bushfires. Yet still won’t do the hard decisions. Need to get on top of this fast and minimise the economic damage. Be a big month for Australia, decision to shut the border and limit crowd gatherings will happen, but hope it’s not too late

Not every casual is living paycheck to paycheck
Many casuals are also "under-employed" in that they don't receive enough hours.

Let's not pretend for a second that casual workers are thrilled about giving up their entitlements for extra money (not that it's a significant amount anyway). I only take casual jobs because that is all that is offered, I'd much rather a bit more security and certainty than a few extra peanuts. Casual employment wasn't designed to be some great gift to low-skilled workers, businesses receive the majority of the benefits from the casualisation of the workforce.

The economy has been rooted for a while now. The Libs are moronically still going down the trickle down route (except for the extra cash for pensioners and welfare recipients) which has probably helped get us to this point. When the Libs won last year I said: "good, it means they'll be at the wheel when their recession hits and the bubble pops - everyone might finally see them for the idiots they are". Now they're trying to use coronavirus and bushfires as a scape goat for their mismanagement of the economy. Going to be interesting because I don't think you can just throw cash at people and expect them to go out and spend it into the economy like Rudd was able to during the GFC. We've been sitting on a time bomb with record private debt levels in this country. I fear there's going to be a lot of pain. Happy to listen opinions arguing otherwise as I'm no economist.

The economy has been rooted for a while now. The Libs are moronically still going down the trickle down route (except for the extra cash for pensioners and welfare recipients) which has probably helped get us to this point. When the Libs won last year I said: "good, it means they'll be at the wheel when their recession hits and the bubble pops - everyone might finally see them for the idiots they are". Now they're trying to use coronavirus and bushfires as a scape goat for their mismanagement of the economy. Going to be interesting because I don't think you can just throw cash at people and expect them to go out and spend it into the economy like Rudd was able to during the GFC. We've been sitting on a time bomb with record private debt levels in this country. I fear there's going to be a lot of pain. Happy to listen opinions arguing otherwise as I'm no economist.
You're spot on.

Phil Lowe was calling on the government to implement fiscal stimulus back in July of last year, instead, the government opted for tax cuts targeted towards wealthy Australians. The recession was not only foreseen but the coalition was warned about it by the RBA and they chose to ignore the warnings, taking a different policy route. It infuriates me that they now have coronavirus and the bushfires to use as an excuse.

But at least we’ve still got our franking credits /s

This would never happen on BigFooty because you can always go back and delete your bad predictions.

He's denied it with much less shame than anyone would on here.

Leigh Sales playing those videos to him after he's lied is just the best.

Did I just read that the US government will inject 1.5 TRILLION DOLLARS into Wall Street? So it’s that easy for Trump, forget about the virus but he ll sign a package within hours for the greed corrupted ?
Feel sorry for the poor-middle class families over there, have no chance. This virus is only for the rich to survive in US.

The middle class in US is massive, and will be fine.
Its the homeless and dirt poor that are the ones I feel for
Hardly. If you have mild symptoms, don’t bother going in to hospital. You’re paying for the stay, treatment. So USA is the worst reported in the world due to that. That’s why Trump think they’re on top of it when millions won’t go in to be checked. Mortality rates will be through the roof, as the only way they know is when people pass away, with CDC unaware they even had the condition.
Pretty messed up

100%

Anyone who thinks a casual employee will self isolate is deluded. They will be at work to make sure they can pay their rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back